Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my 1300c for some time now on a stock seat. After this last trip to Leakey, TX I have decided I am indeed ready to upgrade to a better, more "butt friendly" model. I have heard many speak of the "Ultimate X" and "Saddlemen" seats. Are these two the best? Are there others I should look at as well? I sat on my buddy's Ultimate X seat and felt it was very comfortable. However, I will admit that, when we hit some rain, he had to put a cover on it as he mentioned his seat just soaks up the water.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The Mustang Sport Touring here. Pricey, but worth it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Include a look at Mustang

I hear nothing but good things about Ultimate, another one from personal experience is Mustang. I liked the first one so well, I bought another for the X, driver and passenger.
I got the back rest this time, it has the option of being removed but have found I wouldn't be without it.
Wife is also comfortable. When your having issues with stock seating "fatigue" custom seating usually resolves the issue, we can ride hours in the saddle w/o any issue and be in complete comfort. Be sure to shop hard, pricing can vary from all retailers & sites. Search the forum - lot's of great input......

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I love my Wide Mustang with backrest. My best friend has an 04 1300r and I have an 07 1300r His still has the stock seat and, to sit on then side by side is amazing, the difference. 250 -300 mile rides used to kill me now I feel the same after 300 that I used to feel after 50. But in all honesty the Ultimate X seat look wicked in the pictures I have seen of them installed.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a Mustang Sport Touring without the backrest and love my seat. I've sat on the Ultimate seats and they are comfy as well. I'd suggest taking a seat on either one as the seat makers make a bunch of different options. Also, take a look at Mean City Cycles, http://www.meancitycycles.com/ , they do mods for a fraction of the price of purchasing a whole new seat system. Best of luck on your search for comfort!!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Note: When I give my two cents on the Ultimate seat here - it's for three "lowriders". Have never had a mid rider or big boy Ultimate seat.

I've had the Mustang and Ultimate and Saddlemen seats on several different bikes. They're harder than one would expect but not nearly as bad as a Corbin.

What I have now is a Saddlemen on a 1300C. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and 200 pounds.

Better driver comfort but less passenger comfort than the Mustang. Toss-up on the Ultimate.

Both the Ultimate and Mustang seats sit you up an inch or two and an inch or so closer to the tank. The Saddlemen Explorer seat does not.

The Saddlemen has a gel pad in it and ya can't leave it in the sun very long, as it collects heat like a solar collector and will fry your arse. Seriously.

My personal experiences. Your mileage can, and will vary.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
If you go with the Mustang seats just make sure you decide if you want a backrest or not because you can not add one later on

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
you might want to take a look at c&c seats i have the solo model and it was a huge improvement over the stock seat . the prices are very good on ebay for them . around $250.00 -$225.00

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I had the Mustang w/backrest and it was so much better than stock. I always wondered how the Ultimate would have been .... I would highly recommend the backrest!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I almost bought an x but got a mustang instead. You will want to get risers though because you will sit up higher and it takes a toll on your shoulders with the stock c bar. Backrest wasn't something I wanted to spend the extra cash on but I'm sure its nice although I have read you need to bring the bar back to really relax on the c....love the mustang

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have a Mustang Sport Touring without the backrest and love my seat. I've sat on the Ultimate seats and they are comfy as well. I'd suggest taking a seat on either one as the seat makers make a bunch of different options. Also, take a look at Mean City Cycles, http://www.meancitycycles.com/ , they do mods for a fraction of the price of purchasing a whole new seat system. Best of luck on your search for comfort!!
+1 on Mean City, check with Allan before you do anything. Had mine done a year ago and couldn't be happier. Didn't spend a fortune on it either.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just got an Ultimate mid rider about 3 weeks or so ago . Without a doubt one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had, it took a few hundred miles for it to break in but I can ride all day in comfort now. I also like the solo seat look on my 1300 C, I can add a backrest later. I rode mine back from the bike rally the other wekend in the rain for probably an hour, it didnt seem to soak up any water, I know there is an option for a rain cover but customer service told me it was more for if it sat out in the rain all the time.Last year I sent my stock seat to mean city cycles and they did as good a job as could be done, they are a good group and do good work, but you can only polish a turd just so much. After a couple of hours of riding I would have to stop and pull the ice pick out of my tailbone, it still sucked just not as much as the stock seat. I'm 6'1" tall and around 225.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ive had the Ultimate Big Boy, the Corbin Dual tourer and the Mustang 3 piece, all of which had the driver backrest.. I got rid of all of em except the Mustang which I liked the most.. It does depend on your size, weight, etc...seems like the guys with the big butts liked the Ultimates better? ;)

Im 6' 4" and go 275 with a 32 inseam

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Have the Mustang on the X and love it. Backrest should not even be an option on any bike seat. It should be standard equipment. If you have never ridden with a back rest you are seriously selling your riding exxperience short.

Never tried the ultimate on the X but absolutely love the one I bought for the Wing.

I tried a saddleman on the X and the wing and absolutely hated them.

See you out there
Smokey

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
This topic has been discussed ad infinitum here. I'd suggest getting a 6 pack of man-flowers, do a search on "seats", and proceed to wade through all the opinions.

I've commented on this topic several times before, so you'll have to excuse my brevity THIS time:

1) I've ridden my Ultimate Big Boy for 6 years/ 30K miles. Still love it.
2) Only time seats soaks water is when its just sitting in the rain. Those little perforations for thread that let water in also let the seat breathe better. That's a GOOD thing.
3) Get the backrest. I waited 5 years. Dumb.
4) MCC has restuffed my passenger b/c my wife was picky. They do a great job modding the stock seat, but it's not the same as an Ultimate. Someone said "you can only polish a turd so much.". That's about right. IMHO.
Not as brief as I intended, but I hope it helps. Good luck choosing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
As soon as I have some money to spend it is a Mustang Seat for me. Night and day difference over stock. Very comfortable, very nice looking and high quality.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ditto on the Mustang Wide Touring Seat :thumbup:. If you go for the Mustang seat make sure you get the backrest because you can't just add a backrest later. Regret I didn't listen to everyone on this forum.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I had the Mustang Sport Touring with the driver backrest on my 1300 "C" and love my seat.
You can always keep an eye on the Classified Board for a slightly used one.
I just sold mine there a week or so ago.

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 on Mean City Cycles. Had the double-decker memory foam mod done and love it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts