Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just weeks ago Julie and I were talking of trading her Explorer for a more economical ride. Now after weathering this storm not being stranded at home, The Explorer stays.:D

John

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
We've always kept at least 1 4 x 4 since we moved to WA. They sure are nice when you need them. Unfortunately, I saw many people out on the roads with 4x4's that still don't know how to drive. They help you keep moving, but still slide on ice.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Definatly keep your 4X4, we dont need them that often around here, but when you do, you do...

I keep my in the side drive behind a fence, I thought I'd drive that one day last week, but when I tried to get in, the doors were frozen shut :cry: so I'm just gonna leave it sit till it defrost's enough that I dont have to pry it open :(

·
Banned
24,429 Posts
Definatly keep your 4X4, we dont need them that often around here, but when you do, you do...

I keep my in the side drive behind a fence, I thought I'd drive that one day last week, but when I tried to get in, the doors were frozen shut :cry: so I'm just gonna leave it sit till it defrost's enough that I dont have to pry it open :(
That happened to me once sking and had to pee on the door to get it open:D

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Remind me to let you open the door if I ever catch a ride with you :D

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well, just what would you do in the same fix Irish? :dontknow: Spittins to slow. Besides, Pee washes of and was most likely washed off his rig by the time he hit the lowlands from the wet on the roads. :popcorn: Dose make for interesting reading though.:lol:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey Budley I hope it was the pasenger door, I won't tell your wife. :shock:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I traded my 1985 F-150 4x4 for a Ford Focus. For the mmost part it was a good deal, but I miss the ability to go through this snow,

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My jeep also "almost" went away recently.
I don't like the 16mpg, but when this storm hit, it is the only thing that has kept us mobile. We'd have been lost without it.

I guess it can stay a while longer.
I do wish the friggin thing wasn't falling apart though. Cherokees aren't built the way they used to be. :(

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Karen's Jeep got us through this one. Until this I never really had that much respect for the Jeep. Now I have to admit the 4500-pound rig with a big V-8 & full-time 4-wheel drive is more capable than I would have ever imagined.

Then again - one of those Can-Am Spyders with a chained up rear tire might have been fun, too ;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
We've always kept at least 1 4 x 4 since we moved to WA. They sure are nice when you need them. Unfortunately, I saw many people out on the roads with 4x4's that still don't know how to drive. They help you keep moving, but still slide on ice.

Most folks forget that a 4X4 only gets you going faster, has no help whatsoever in stopping, I will only lock mine up after I cannot move in 2WD, plus, the new AWD rigs, you never really know just how slick the road might me until you hit the brakes and by then it is too late, if you always drive in 4WD, by the time you get stuck.....you will be REALLY stuck.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I also have a AWD Explorer. I didn't have ANY problem in the snow. I don't think I could have gotten that thing stuck if I wanted to. :thumbup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Julies Explorer has all wheel drive and ride stability control (it's an 05). I had no problems until we got the 6-8 inches of half frozen slush on the side streets. Once the slush got deep and the vehicle really started bouncing around I discoverd that somehow the ride stability control can cut power to the engine. When I shut off the stability control, it behaved like a normal 4x4. :shock:

John

1 - 14 of 14 Posts