Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to start riding a bicycle for exercise, but I really hate traditional bikes because of the seating position. So I have decided to go with a recumbent. I know that I want one with under seat steering, but can't decide between a two wheeler or a trike. Also, I would like to find a good one (used is fine with me) that is not gonna break the bank. Most everything I have seen is well over $700, and even the used ones seem to retain their value quite well. Anybody have any ideas where I might be able to find some good inexpensive choices? Also, input from those with 2 and 3 wheel versions would be great.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Can't say anything about rolling recumbents, but I have a stationary recumbent exercise bike. Having ridden lots of miles on real upright bikes, I got the recumbent because of the seating position. I have to say, I don't really like riding the recumbent stationary bike as much as an upright for one reason: the way a recumbent positions you causes you to sit on your muscles and that makes it harder to ride. My rear gets sore every time I ride the thing, and I've ridden it for hours. I never seem to get the seat broken in enough to compensate for the fact that I am sitting on my working muscles. So, get a great seat if you go with a recumbent because it makes a real difference.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jiabob said:
Can't say anything about rolling recumbents, but I have a stationary recumbent exercise bike. Having ridden lots of miles on real upright bikes, I got the recumbent because of the seating position. I have to say, I don't really like riding the recumbent stationary bike as much as an upright for one reason: the way a recumbent positions you causes you to sit on your muscles and that makes it harder to ride. My rear gets sore every time I ride the thing, and I've ridden it for hours. I never seem to get the seat broken in enough to compensate for the fact that I am sitting on my working muscles. So, get a great seat if you go with a recumbent because it makes a real difference.

Most of the recumbent bicycles I have looked at have a mesh cloth seat built somewhat like a hammock.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Jiabob said:

Hmmm.... maybe a recumbent with a BADX seat mod.. :) That along with the CRCR ( CyberHick Recumbent Cluth Reliever" of course. Man i can see a whole new slew of products popping up with the way folks are around here :lol:

SiC

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I thought those guys from Texas were tough.....fooled me :wink:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
What exactly about the position of traditional bikes bothers you? Is it the seat putting pressure on your posterior or is it your lower back or upper back and shoulders area?

A decent gel seat will alleviate the "monkey butt" pain associated with stock seats.

A beach comber bike will alleviate the lower back issue as you're riding upright, it also puts less stress on your shoulders than mountain bikes or road/tourer bikes. Both of these require more weight be supported by your wrists and require your back to be in good health, and can be a cause for upper spinal/shoulder discomfort due to the handlebar position.
There are also hybrid mountain bikes, which also give you an upright position.

The only reason I mention all of this is that you do lose a lot of natural leverage with a recumbent, the weight of your leg assists with inertia in the downward motion of an upright bike's pedaling motion. Using toe straps allows you to pull your opposing leg upward also assisting with moving the pedals as the power (downward) stroke is simultaneously made.

I've used recumbent bikes, both stationary and mobile, I just can't get the same use out of them that I can with my upright bikes. It's just my opinion, but I also use a mountain bike as a patrol vehicle, averaging 25-30 miles a night when I do ride it. Biking regardless of how you do it is one of the easiest methods of cardiovascular exercise, and more importantly low impact. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My wife and I bought each other new recumbent bikes for Spring. They were just over $1000 each. Mine being slightly higher because I got the shocks. We love them and ride as often as time allows.

Our reason for changing to a recumbent from the traditional was because of our back problems. The recumbent relieves all the presure off our backs and off my hands. PLus . . . they get a lot of double takes!

If you go this route you will be happy you made the move.

Jon

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bigdog 1 said:
I thought those guys from Texas were tough.....fooled me :wink:
Well, they say that the only things that come from Texas are Beers, Steers, and Queers. I don't drink, and I ain't got no horns, so I guess I'm stuck with the last one. :lol:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got rid of my recumbent - 2 wheel, short wheel base Sun Speedster mid priced model ($999).
Recumbents are notorious for sloppy shifting due to having a 10 ft. long chain. The noise from the chain and sprockets were irritating, sprockets are out in front of you and a chain zinging through a plastic tube gets old. The design of the bikes make them a challenge to put on a bike rack for hauling. At low speed, especially starting on an incline, you will wobble like a 4 year old.

On the good side it is easy on the back. Once you get the muscles used to riding a recumbent they will cruise fast with less effort than a conventional bike.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
SicTexVTX said:
Man i had to look up what a "recumbent" was... :lol:

SiC

Here's a link for the other clueless out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle
Thanks for the link Tex. I have never in my life seen such a thing. From the link and from a search of my on I learned something today !!!!!

Cyberhick wants a chopper bycycle !!!!! :lol:

Keep us updated Cyber we want pics with you on the thing !!!!!

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haveme1 said:
SicTexVTX said:
Man i had to look up what a "recumbent" was... :lol:

SiC

Here's a link for the other clueless out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle
Thanks for the link Tex. I have never in my life seen such a thing. From the link and from a search of my on I learned something today !!!!!

Cyberhick wants a chopper bycycle !!!!! :lol:

Keep us updated Cyber we want pics with you on the thing !!!!!
This is the one I want, but it is $3000. :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
A guy in my town has one very similar to the picture. It's a nice machine but he comes close to being run over on a daily basis. The bike is so low he can't be seen over ordinary vehicles and he darts in and out of traffic, lane splits etc. He's been knocked over numerous times but luckily not hurt ...yet. Even one of those flags on a fiberglas pole wouldn't give decent visibility in traffic.

I would only ride one on open roads or bike trails.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bike trails is what I am thinking. But then maybe I could put a lightbar and a Stebel horn on it. :idea:

·
Registered
442 Posts
My wife has a 2 wheel recumb. Its great. Very comfortable and easy to ride-- just keep focus down the road aways. Its one of the longer ones-- but never any trouble w/ shifting- very smooth 24spd. Because you are so low to ground you are not so visible to cagers-- we use a 1/4" 4ft., fiberglass pole w/ sm. triangular orange flag. Works great. Bike was made by a private builder near Toledo, OH. He has a patent on the design. We paid about $700 for it 5yrs ago. If you are interested in checking this guys bikes out-PM me and I'll get my bride to look for his name/phone etc. You are definitly right about going for the under seat bars-- real comfort, no arm or shoulder strain. These bikes are fast,fun, and comfortable--you can ride em all day and NO MONKEY BUTT ! Ive seen dozens of diff. kinds of recumb. but never one anywhere near has good in its design. The guys a little bit of a genius-- builds planes, etc. and definitly a creative no nonsense, practical guy, who has really thought out the design of this bike a long time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.