Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom is turning 85 this year and it was time to move her from Fla. to Atlanta so that she could be closer to us. She stopped driving earlier this year and I flew down to Delray last week to pack her up. She flew up and I drove her 92 Toyota back. She had purchased the car new and it has 29,000 original miles on it. Spent it's entire life outdoors. I was a little hesitant to jump in and drive it almost 700 miles, but I figured what the heck.
I set the cruise control on something between 75-80 and off I went. Ten hours later, and I was in Atlanta. What's so amazing? This sucker got 34 miles to the gallon, blew air cold enough to hang meat, and performed flawlessly!
So, heres my quandry. Should I sell my CTS which only gets 26mpg on the open road, and invest in a paint job :lol:

G

·
My sisters Camry has 350,000 miles on it! :roll:

It's still a daily driver for her! :D

Too bad Toyota doesn't make motorcycles, they would give Honda some good competition! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Personally, I'd keep the Toyota. I had a CTS for 2 years, and could not get used to the hard suspension on it. It rode too hard to be a Caddy. The dealer said it was the "sport suspension" that Cadillac put on it to make it "sporty". Loved the look and power, hated the ride. Keep the Toyota, IMHO :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I drive a '94 Camry with 205,000 (only when they pry me off the X). Great cars!

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a 1985 BMW 535I when I bought it 1 1/2 years ago (for $1000) it had 213,000 miles. Now it has 220,000. 3rd gear goes from 25mph to 85mph at 4000 rpm's and it still wants more.

·
Registered
679 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a Honda CRX HF off ebay for about $3000 or so. It's an early 90's car and gets about 45 to 50 mpg. It has a 10 gallon tank and he fills up once every 10 days for about $30.00 dollars.

Dan

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
My '85 Volksagen jetta has 450,000mi. on it. Still runs great, and gets 34-36mpg!! I paid $500.00 for it 4 years ago (from my uncle) and other than gas and oil changes all I've had to do with it is recharge the A/C. Even when you consider the $125/6mo. for insurance it has paid for itself several times over when compared to driving my 12-14mpg '01 Dodge pickup!!!

·
Read Only
1,671 Posts
swl2020 said:
Mom is turning 85 this year and it was time to move her from Fla. to Atlanta so that she could be closer to us. She stopped driving earlier this year and I flew down to Delray last week to pack her up. She flew up and I drove her 92 Toyota back. She had purchased the car new and it has 29,000 original miles on it. Spent it's entire life outdoors. I was a little hesitant to jump in and drive it almost 700 miles, but I figured what the heck.
I set the cruise control on something between 75-80 and off I went. Ten hours later, and I was in Atlanta. What's so amazing? This sucker got 34 miles to the gallon, blew air cold enough to hang meat, and performed flawlessly!
So, heres my quandry. Should I sell my CTS which only gets 26mpg on the open road, and invest in a paint job :lol:

to me that is not amazing, its a toyota!

i know a guy who has 500k on his toyota with nothing done to it aside from the usual stuff.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wonder why this never comes up.

Let`s take a stroll back to the 70s shall we.
My father traveled quite a bit as part of his job. It was not uncommon for him to rack up 300,000 miles in two to three years. In November of 1976 he bought a 77 Datsun F-10. Front wheel drive, with transverse mounted 1296cc engine, 5 speed manual tranny, and ran on unleaded fuel. That thing AVERAGED 48 MPG! many times seeing as much as 52 miles to a gallon. Then in my junior year of HS I bought my first new car, a 78 Datsun B-210 and it averaged somewhat less mileage at 42 MPG with the same engine...........and now 30 years later it`s a big deal for the same size/class car to get as much as 30 MPG! Wow what progress we`ve made. Where`s the outrage folks?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crimsonX18 said:
I wonder why this never comes up.

Let`s take a stroll back to the 70s shall we.
My father traveled quite a bit as part of his job. It was not uncommon for him to rack up 300,000 miles in two to three years. In November of 1976 he bought a 77 Datsun F-10. Front wheel drive, with transverse mounted 1296cc engine, 5 speed manual tranny, and ran on unleaded fuel. That thing AVERAGED 48 MPG! many times seeing as much as 52 miles to a gallon. Then in my junior year of HS I bought my first new car, a 78 Datsun B-210 and it averaged somewhat less mileage at 42 MPG with the same engine...........and now 30 years later it`s a big deal for the same size/class car to get as much as 30 MPG! Wow what progress we`ve made. Where`s the outrage folks?
My point exactly. That is why I posted this.
Talked to a buddy of mine yesterday who has one of the new Lexus Electric/Gas Hybrid Sport Ute's. He averages 24 M.P.G. :roll:

·
Registered
68 Posts
My opinion is that hybrids are all hype and not a whole lot of substance. I would be interested if they were to mate a hybrid drivetrain with a diesel motor. Now that would be the way to go. My friend has a Jetta TDI with manual transmission and averages about 50 mpg. That's pretty darned good. Now add the regenerative braking and engine shut-off that comes in a hybrid, and we're now talking something.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My sport ute has is re-geared, has big tires, 7" of suspension lift and averages 21 MPG and I don`t plug it in!

The EPA thing on our Cobalt stated that it should average 36 MPG. I think at best we get 32.

I`m thinking that the government is manipulating automotive consumers purchasing decisions by having the EPA toss high ball MPG numbers on the windows and at the same time make the manufacturers choke the engines half to death thus achieving lower MPGs.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
The high MPG stuff is out there, you just have to look for it. The old Datsuns are gone as nobody wanted the little engines. We have to have more power all the time, yet want better mileage. My uncle has always driven Volkswagens (which I buy when he through with them) my '80 rabbit got 45-50mpg all the time. But it would only go 85mph and you had to shut the A/C off on a hill. Now he has a Jetta TDI it get 50mpg and has far more power than the old rabbit. Fuel concerns are usually not a big motivator when people are buying a vehicle. If they were you would see a lot more fuel effecient vehicles on the road. There are a lot of great, efficient vehicles that are not sold in the US. It's not a conspiracy, it's just that Americans (on average) don't buy that stuff. This board is a perfect example, who really needs an 1800cc bike? a 750 will still go the speed limit in every state, plus get better mileage?? We want our power and are willing to buy the extra fuel to have it. It's part of being an American!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Chrysler had to use there top engineers to get the 6 cylinder in my 98 jeep wrangler to only get 16 MPG on the highway and not get hydrostatic lock.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
floptop 454 said:
Chrysler had to use there top engineers to get the 6 cylinder in my 98 jeep wrangler to only get 16 MPG on the highway and not get hydrostatic lock.
Yet they build a nice 3 cyl turbo diesel for sale only in europe??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts