Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I made a tough decision. I have a 17 year old son and like 95% of kids running around, he has a cellular phone.

A while back, i had his text messaging turned off...he can not send or recieve text messages on his phone. I did this because i love my son, and although he is a truthful, good kid who never gets in trouble....HE IS A KID. No matter how many times he says he won't do it....I didn't want him driving around even once and trying to send or read a text message. TALKING on a cellular phone is bad enough, but at least it doesn't take BOTH hands and ALL your attention. I know, there are lots of things he can do to have a wreck...but this is one that i could DEFINITELY do something about.

If you have driving age children....set them down, explain the reason, try to get them to understand..and shut off the text ability to their phone service. It's something you may regret for a week or so till they get over being pissed, or feeling abused...LOL...but it's something that may just save your childs, or someone elses life.

Just look at the 4 cheerleaders that died just recently.....they think the driver was text messaging when she drifted over in the other lane in front of the truck. This just reinforced my decision to cut off the texting.

If they wanna communicate, then dammit CALL ON THE CELLULAR PHONE...and TALK. If not, wait till they get home, then they can use the computer to instant message their brains out...but at least they'll be able to!

Peace!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
If you have driving age children....set them down, explain the reason, try to get them to understand..and shut off the text ability to their phone service. It's something you may regret for a week or so till they get over being pissed, or feeling abused...LOL...but it's something that may just save your childs, or someone elses life.
I dont have driving age children. But i do wanna comment on the great decision and thought behind your actions. Need more parents in the world like you! 8)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
My Girlfriends daughter text, dresses, puts on makeup and smokes a cig at the same time while driving. It's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. This texting thing is so stupid.

However the kids are learning hand thumb coordination !!!! Vicki's Daughter can move on that blackberry. It's unnatural looking she goes so fast.

I wouldn't doubt it that the young un that wrecked me was probably texting !!!
Hopefully it's like yoyo's

:roll:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 17 year old too. Our rule is no talking on the cell phone while driving. Young drivers have enough to worry about. A cell phone just diverts their attention away from driving. Applaud your decision.

·
Registered
249 Posts
After reading the article linked in the next post I've decided to retract my ill tasting humorous post.

Move along...nothing to see here.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
When I was 17 I was the only one with a cell phone that was my age. Big ol audiovox bag phone (still have it somewhere)

G

·
I don't understand why a kid needs a cell phone anyway. I never had one and I seemed to turn out okay.

Seems to me that if they didn't have one, they might actually do something like STUDY and LEARN. We've raised a generation of techno-snobs who can't read or write.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
My son is only 7 months old, but I am already looking into these jammers to place in our cars so he won't receive or send messages or calls while in the car. I don't answer my cell phone while I'm behind the wheel, and I want to keep it that way when Cian is driving.
It's new technology now, but in the next 15 years I suspect it will get better;
http://www.redferret.net/?p=6447

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/revie ... ndex.shtml
They are being installed in movie theaters around here now

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
by then, we'll have implanted chips in our heads and won't need phones or text messaging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts