Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We sold our Honda dealership in Miami about 3 years ago. I am sorry to report that he closed the doors last week. Another Honda dealer in the south of Miami also closed his doors a few weeks ago.

I really feel sorry for him and the pain he must be feeling.

That leaves Honda with only one dealer in all of Miami-Dade county. Kinda strange but its a sign of the times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to feel bad for the guy, but I'm sure you sold him a good business at the time. You have no control over the economy and such. At least you got out when you did :doorag:

·
Mad Hatter
21,344 Posts
Thats a shame... How are the other dealers doing?? Yam, Kaw ect..

·
Registered
949 Posts
In the end only Harley-Davidson will still be standing.

Come on Torque, you're a sport bike kinda guy. You think HD will corner the market on sport bikes? :lol:

·
3,915 Posts
I was talking to a couple of guys over at my Honda, kaw, suz, yam, dealer and he said his bike sale were down, scooter sales were good, used bikes are moving, and atv are selling pretty good. I know they laid of 2 or 3 out of about 10 sales people. They have a sign out front says they are hiring mechanics.... So it sounded like, not too bad:dontknow:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear that HD dealers are suffering even worse as they have hooked too many customers into bad financing on overpriced bikes.

In addition to a weak consumer discretionary spending environment, the company’s financial services branch has significant exposure to so-called “subprime loans”. An industry report states that as many as one third of loans outstanding from Harley-Davidson financial services branch have gone to borrowers with suspect credit history. It seems that as the consumer spending environment started to slack, Harley-Davidson began offering loans with interest rates as low as 3% or sometimes without making the borrower put money down on purchases. These are not the sort of sales we were hoping to see factored into our ratings methodology. This sort of activity prompted Business Week to claim that Harley financial services operated, “in a pattern eerily similar to the housing bust.”

The average buyer of a Harley motorcycle is a married man in his forties with an average income of $84,300.[9] Two thirds of Harley buyers are between 35 and 54 years old, with 12% being female.[10] This indicates that the vast majority of customers are essentially middle-aged, middle to upper class males. It comes as no surprise, then, that demographic trends, like an aging baby-boomer population, have likely impacted the company’s recent growth and will have an effect on the company going forward. Because the baby-boomer generation was of Harley "buying age" in the past two decades, the company has benefited from a demographic tailwind since going public. However, this is a double edged sword since Harley's association with older riders has often caused younger riders to embrace other kinds of motorcycles. To retain its long term brand appeal, HOG will need to find ways of enticing younger buyers without alienating its core consumers.[11]
[edit] Rising discretionary income

Because Harley’s products are luxury goods generally purchased as recreational vehicles, the discretionary income (or income available for spending after necessities have been purchased) of the company’s customer base can have a material effect on the company’s sales. The company has arguably succeeded in the United States largely because the per capita discretionary income is substantially higher than in many other countries. Harley-Davidson depends upon this relatively wealthy customer base to drive sales of its motorcycles.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
We sold our Honda dealership in Miami about 3 years ago. I am sorry to report that he closed the doors last week. Another Honda dealer in the south of Miami also closed his doors a few weeks ago.

I really feel sorry for him and the pain he must be feeling.

That leaves Honda with only one dealer in all of Miami-Dade county. Kinda strange but its a sign of the times.
That's not good, especially since I thought that's where the money was - Miami, that is.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Sure, Harley-Davidson purchased MV Agusta.
Right...and how many Agusta's do you see out there everyday versus Hondas, Kawasakis, Yammies, and Suzukis? :lol:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sign of the times is very accurate. Motorsports of Columbus, a Honda MC dealer in Columbus, OH closed it's doors a few weeks ago. It's a shame to see this happen. They were a good friend and partner to our Blue Knights chapter. We held our monthly meetings there and now we are homeless, we held our monthly meetings there.

I sure hope all those good people that worked there are able to find good jobs soon.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The Honda dealer in Alcoa just closed it's doors.

Mark

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
The economy is one issue but you still have to properly manage a business.
I hope it's Gables Honda that's still in biz. They're a good outfit.

Tho' Miami appears to be a glitzy place,... there's a lot of poverty there. The whole N.Miami area has really gone downhill over the years.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Just went to a Christmas Party at the Coos Bay Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer Saturday night. He moved into a three times larger building on the highway this year.

As of Saturday night, he said he has moved all (100%) of his 2005, 2006, 2007 road bike stock out the door. Most of his 2008 road bike stock is gone also (He is having trouble selling 109's). As to road bikes in the 500 to 900 cc range he has never had a better year.

The surprise is his ATV and Dirt bike sales are dismal. Keep in mind this is the largest Sand Dunes riding area in the USA with thousands of visitors weekly. He is overstocked on Joe Rocket and Fox accessories and knobby tired bikes and can't hardly give them away. He said gas prices drove his road bike sales through the roof and no one wants a play or recreational machine.

The local Honda dealer has almost no road bike stock and hasn't sold a cruiser in a couple of years. My 1800 was the first VTX they have had in for service (Oil/Valves) in a year. But they can't keep dirt bikes in stock and the quads barely make it off the truck before they are sold.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Just went to a Christmas Party at the Coos Bay Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer Saturday night. He moved into a three times larger building on the highway this year.

As of Saturday night, he said he has moved all (100%) of his 2005, 2006, 2007 road bike stock out the door. Most of his 2008 road bike stock is gone also (He is having trouble selling 109's). As to road bikes in the 500 to 900 cc range he has never had a better year.

The surprise is his ATV and Dirt bike sales are dismal. Keep in mind this is the largest Sand Dunes riding area in the USA with thousands of visitors weekly. He is overstocked on Joe Rocket and Fox accessories and knobby tired bikes and can't hardly give them away. He said gas prices drove his road bike sales through the roof and no one wants a play or recreational machine.

The local Honda dealer has almost no road bike stock and hasn't sold a cruiser in a couple of years. My 1800 was the first VTX they have had in for service (Oil/Valves) in a year. But they can't keep dirt bikes in stock and the quads barely make it off the truck before they are sold.
LOL I know of one other 1800 they had in there this year,, but just for tires,,,,,

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I was wondering the other day how the m/c dealers were making it, HD really was pushing their dealers a few years back to move into bigger and better? places. I know of one dealership that poured 3M into his place.

There are a couple of teachers here that own HDs and one of them anyhow use to own a GL1500 and traded it in for a HD Ultra Classic, wrecked it then bought another one it actually turned out pretty well for him, as before he was locked into HD financing which was a 6 yr 12% deal. (Or no deal). After the wreck he bought a private bike and financed it through the local bank for 7%. Meanwhile mother Honda financed mine for 5.99%. ( but only financed $6,400)

I know when I was trying to get my finances straighted out after the kids all left. ( there still is college :cry: ) I got rid of the higher interest things first. I can imagine what the yuppies are doing those that are trying to save their houses.

It does though surprise me about alot of dealers closing their doors as this summer you couldn't find a scooter, or a smaller cc bike.

One side note, I've noticed on e-bay when you look for all what a seller is selling, he is getting rid of his toys,,, ie he is not only selling his bow,, but his X-Box as well. There are going to be some terrific bargains on e-bay for those that have a few dollars....

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
What a shame. that's where I purchased my X almost 5 years ago from Hal & Co.

Hal, I hope you weren't holding any paper there that you got stuck with.

Slick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts