Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Just so you know, I tried 3 different searches with no satisfactory answers to my "what if" concern

My bike >> 2006 1300c

Earlier this year on my trip down the Oregon coast, I had to go to reserve at 156 miles, "reserve" took me far enough to the next gas stop about 22 miles down the road.

Being new to this motorcycle stuff, I was told to "Never" let these bikes fully run out of gas, reserve included.

If that would have happened? What then? In my mind, set off on a walkabout for a gallon or so, refill, restart and off you go.

Easy Peasy. Right :?: :dontknow:

·
Registered
131 Posts
You got it. Fill it and go!

Just another thought - If you know you are going to be riding somewhere that gas stations are few and far between. (some places out west) carry a can or 2 of TrueFuel (regular gas not mix) from Lowes or HD, its relatively cheap, comes in a metal can and will get you another 20 miles in a pinch. I get about 30mpg normally, 33-34 fast cruise on the highway and 35-36 if I really take it easy with the wrist.

Figure out what your MPG is and know about how far you can go until you are empty.

For tracking purposes I use an app called Gas Mileage (icon is a yellow background with a pump). Shows you the mpg each time you fill up and some other useful statistics. You can add multiple vehicles and there are no permissions needed for your location, data, etc etc..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
My bike >> 2006 1300c

Being new to this motorcycle stuff, I was told to "Never" let these bikes fully run out of gas, reserve included.
Whoever told you that is wrong.

Though of course it will suck to run out of gas, nothing bad will happen to the bike.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
you have been around people that know NOTHING about gasoline engines..

only thing that Might happen... is running out...you might pick up some crap sitting at the bottom of the gas tank.. but the filters will catch it... JUST LIKE A Car.

50 years of riding.... 392,000 motorcycle miles... I ran out once.. 100 feet from the gas station driveway.

it does no damage to fill up with 1/2 a tank.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
My boots are not made for walking.
Ran out of gas back in the mid 80's NC 601 north of Monroe.
I believe it was low rolling hills area and a gas station was nearby on the other side.
Pushed and coasted in.. Much younger then.

Last year was one of the oops running on Reserve. I may have switched to Trip B and looked good for miles.
Ran out on a downhill. Coasted to a safe place(telco cabinets parking space).
I looked around saw someone and asked to buy gas from him.
He gave me the gas from his lawnmower can. He did not want any money.
I went back later to give him money and he refused. He invited me to go to church service.
I then offered a donation to the church! $20 for a half gallon, it was worth it!

145 - 160 is the normal switch over range to reserve. 180 miles was the max range.

·
Old Goat
24,822 Posts
I know my bike needs gas EVERY 100 miles. I plan accordingly. I also need a pee, and smoke break then anyway..

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^with exception of smoking......:grin2: I like the “100 mile rule” ..sure beats walking

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
They might have been thinking it would be difficult to prime once you ran out of fuel and air got sucked in. I ran out on my 1800 one time shortly after buying it. I was close enough to a gas station to coast in and push it up to the pump. Being my 1800 is fuel injected, I thought it might be hard start back up but it wasn't. It just took a little longer to start it than it usually does. 1300's have carburetors and should be even easier.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
One trick I do when I hit reserve is slide the key hole cover on the gas cap open. This way if I do not fill up before going home, the next time I hop on the bike I can not not notice the cap cover open and know to go straight to the gas station. Also first thing I do when filling up is check the petcock is switched back to run and not left on reserve. I sure sucks to reach down to hit reserve and it was still on from the last time.

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
Being my 1800 is fuel injected, I thought it might be hard start back up but it wasn't. It just took a little longer to start it than it usually does. 1300's have carburetors and should be even easier.
I believe 1800 is easier. You have fuel pump prime to pressurize the fuel line.

1300 has a vacuum operated petcock, requires engine to be cranking/running to have vacuum.

·
Super Moderator
6,370 Posts

only thing that Might happen... is running out...you might pick up some crap sitting at the bottom of the gas tank.. but the filters will catch it... JUST LIKE A Car.

50 years of riding.... 392,000 motorcycle miles... I ran out once.. 100 feet from the gas station driveway.

Agreed.

I think this "belief" comes from those who have owned or do own older vehicles, riding mowers, gas powered tools etc that have steel tanks which have rusted over the years. And eventually there'll be enough crud in the bottom of the tank to completely block whatever filters are in place.

Nowadays plastic tanks are common on lawn equipment and technology has enabled other tanks to be much more rust inhibitive. So long as they're cared for. I try to fill up my tank in all of my vehicles when they need it so that I'm not allowing condensation to do its dirty work over time by only filling up part way often.

OP if you've filled your bike and it's running fine, don't give it another thought (beyond exercising good habits such as using your trip odometer to know when to fill up and/or running with some spare gas alternative).

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
time for the "Back in the old days ".... aka 1973-74...

the Gas Embargo .....

most gas stations were OUT of gas or not opened on weekends...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the input. I suspected I was given faulty info, it didn't make sense but just wanted to make sure.

I am really good at resetting the trip meters, anything over 100 miles locally and it's time for a refill. On the open road, one has to be a little more careful. I would hate to walk more than 100 yds or so. lol. Unless I'm on the search for the elusive wapiti, that's a good excuse for a walk. :smile2:

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
time for the "Back in the old days ".... aka 1973-74...

the Gas Embargo .....

most gas stations were OUT of gas or not opened on weekends...

Look at those lines - nothing but gas hogs as far as you can see...

lets see, my 1965 Impala SS 409 ( 2 ) 4bbl ), 4 speed... 4.11 gears..

8 mpg in town, 13 on the highway. high test only... Sunoco 260...

·
Registered
134 Posts
That’s a good idea.

I had a battery go dead one time and when it did, the trip-odometers reset. Didn’t remember that my tank was already low before the battery swap so I was cruising down the road when I looked down and saw I had traveled only 10 m8les on my full (I thought) tank. Moments later, the bike stalled, wouldn’t restart and I was thinking I had some serious engine issues. Then the realization set in and I remembered they were zero’d out. It happens!

·
Registered
225 Posts
That’s a good idea.

I had a battery go dead one time and when it did, the trip-odometers reset. Didn’t remember that my tank was already low before the battery swap so I was cruising down the road when I looked down and saw I had traveled only 10 m8les on my full (I thought) tank. Moments later, the bike stalled, wouldn’t restart and I was thinking I had some serious engine issues. Then the realization set in and I remembered they were zero’d out. It happens!
and not just to you either!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts

Fuel Filter? I have looked for one and I have found none except for the petcock? Where might I find one on my '09 R? Also not sure why you guys are getting so low gas mileage I avg 41 per gal and get 150+ miles per tank before hitting the reserve...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts