Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear people use this term alll the time and then they say plus taxes etc. :? Where I come from "out the door" means everything already paid for including dealer prep, taxes and tag, ready to ride. So "out the door" is not to be taken literialy just because they let you take the bike and pay taxes in your own state that is still not the "out the door" price. Just to compare I like hearing what the price was from the dealer with all his charges but not taxes and tag because those vary quite a bit from state to state. 8)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Phrase

It means the same thing in Ohio. I hear "out the door" price all the time. Here it referes to the complete price. No hidden charges.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Yeah, to me out the door means final price incliuding all taxes plates destination charge, prep charge or whatever. I don't like when dealers do that crap.

H

·
0 Posts
But they only do it because customers let them get away with it because they have fallen in love with their purchase and they haven't even purchased it yet.

Buy with your feet. If they jerk you around, get up and walk out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
Buy with your feet.
I don't know if I could buy much with my feet. They aren't that big :oops: :lol:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm gathering that you were speaking with a dealer other than one located in your state of residence. If so, using "out the door" reflects what he collects from you, in total, for the transaction. He cannot charge for or collect your state of residence sales tax, license fees, etc.

If it's a dealer in your state of residence, "out the door" would be all inclusive; taxes, tags, etc.

·
Registered
371 Posts
In good ole Mo. out the door is the price you pay, without all the BS charges when your doing the paper work that you weren't told about while dealing with the sales person. Which Pro Cycle is famous for.
Taxes and license in this state are a sererate issue and are paid at the freindly department of revenue office for Mo. residence each and every time the vehicle is sold.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
2wheelsforme said:
I hear people use this term alll the time and then they say plus taxes etc. :? Where I come from "out the door" means everything already paid for including dealer prep, taxes and tag, ready to ride. So "out the door" is not to be taken literialy just because they let you take the bike and pay taxes in your own state that is still not the "out the door" price. Just to compare I like hearing what the price was from the dealer with all his charges but not taxes and tag because those vary quite a bit from state to state. 8)
to me it means "i'm writing the dealer a check, taking my bike and leaving"

that's "out the door"...to me anyway.

if you buy out of state, then obviously when you get back home, you'll have to deal with taxes & reg.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought my bike from Procycle during the July 04 "fire sale"; I saw the "sign" on the desk in the business office about additional charges based on the sale amount, I think it was $250 for the amount of my bike, but they waived this cost on ebay purchases, I was told. Anyway, I had a great experience with Procycle, no games.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
rohnin4hire said:
If (you were speaking with a dealer other than one located in your state of residence), using "out the door" reflects what he collects from you, in total, for the transaction. He cannot charge for or collect your state of residence sales tax, license fees, etc.

If it's a dealer in your state of residence, "out the door" would be all inclusive; taxes, tags, etc.
First, let me say I'm somewhat torn on this issue and have what many might call a "vested interest" here as well. I am a licensed dealer in the state of Indiana. I do not, however, ever advertise with the term "out-the-door" for any number of reasons. That having been said, I would agree that it should include any and all freight, dealer prep, cleaning, delivery and whatever other charges including the infamous documentary fees. I don't necessarily think that it should include sales tax as that's not a charge made by the dealer or the manufacturer. In my state, for example, it is prohibited that a dealer pay his customer's sales tax or include it in the price.

Actually, I know from first hand experience that this varies from state to state. Let me explain. Up until last year as a licensed Indiana dealer, I was required to collect Indiana's 6% sales tax on the amount of the purchase (or on the cash difference with a trade-in) on 'in-state' sales. Sales to 'out-of-state' residents or companies carried no such requirement.

That changed in the last year and NOW I am required to collect that 6% sales tax regardless of the address of the buyer on sales that take place here in Indiana. How that is handled between the states' respective departments of revenue I do not know. I assume that there is credit given and adjustments are made.

The one exception to that which I have found (a "loophole," if you will) is if I sell a vehicle to an 'out-of-state' entity and conduct that transaction 'out-of-state' as well. In other words, if you come here and buy it, I have to collect the 6% IN sales tax. If, however, I trailer it half a mile east into Ohio, then I do not have to collect that same tax.

I've still not gotten a written answer back regarding sales made 'in-state' to entities located outside of the United States (I sell some semi tractors to Mexican dealers).

I hope this shed more light than shadow on the topic. :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
ever advertise with the term "out-the-door" for any number of reasons
I don't expect dealers to advertise otd. But I do expect them to tell me what otd is after I show them a wad of cash to indicate that I'm serious. :)

NOW I am required to collect that 6% sales tax regardless of the address of the buyer on sales that take place here in Indiana
I'm from Texas, if I go pick up a bike from you and pay your 6% tax, when I get back to Texas and do the registration, I pay the difference in the tax rate. In this case, Texas is 6.25%, so I'd have to pay 0.25% to Texas when I returned.

6 of this, 1/2 dozen of that.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I like the term my Dad used to say (rather quaint):

"On the Street Rolling"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts