Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you ride a motorcycle for 50+ years a lot of things have and can happen but this is a first for me. While ridding on RT.40 east in Wheeling WV. just after sunset I was going down hill 45mph I hear a car with a very loud exhaust flying up the hill passing everyone when we met on a turn one of the DICKS tossed something out the window, I seen it flying towards me a put my hand up to protect my face. Whatever it was hit me hard under the rib cage on my left side there was way to much traffic to stop or turn and go after them, next morning drove the hill and saw a full 20oz bottle of mountain dew on the side of the road just hard to believe so PUNK would do that. Now I have a large 6" bruise and still hurts just thank God it didn't hit me in the face I would of went down for sure, I will remember that silver pathfinder with the loud exhaust and they better hope I don't run into then when I have my truck. Stay safe out there everyone the road is full of IDOTS!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Over 58 years of riding!! Started when I was about 10.

~1958 Lambretta 125
~1962 Honda 50 Sport Cub
~1965 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler

And it just goes on from there - - - -

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
When you ride a motorcycle for 50+ years a lot of things have and can happen but this is a first for me. While ridding on RT.40 east in Wheeling WV. just after sunset I was going down hill 45mph I hear a car with a very loud exhaust flying up the hill passing everyone when we met on a turn one of the DICKS tossed something out the window, I seen it flying towards me a put my hand up to protect my face. Whatever it was hit me hard under the rib cage on my left side there was way to much traffic to stop or turn and go after them, next morning drove the hill and saw a full 20oz bottle of mountain dew on the side of the road just hard to believe so PUNK would do that. Now I have a large 6" bruise and still hurts just thank God it didn't hit me in the face I would of went down for sure, I will remember that silver pathfinder with the loud exhaust and they better hope I don't run into then when I have my truck. Stay safe out there everyone the road is full of IDOTS!
It's a shame you didn't call the police. Most likely, the punks have their fingerprints on file. Perhaps you could have gotten the prints off of the bottle. And, it seems you have a good description of their vehicle.

Regards,
Joe T.

Reactions: SUMDATX and Harkon

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
38 years of RIDDING myself of boredom by riding. Of those 38 years it was DAILY commutes through heavy traffic, splitting lanes on the crowded California LA/Orange county freeways mostly.

Would have been more riding years but I had a spill and broke a collar bone and took a hiatus of 5 years when I lived in a place with nowhere to park a motorcycle and my truck.

Funny thing about years of doing anything is it is no testament that you've been doing it right. Of course with motorcycle riding if you do it wrong enough you don't get to do it all that long.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Over 58 years of riding!! Started when I was about 10.

~1958 Lambretta 125
~1962 Honda 50 Sport Cub
~1965 Honda CL77 300 Scrambler

And it just goes on from there - - - -

Regards,
Joe T.
my first motorcycle was a 1966 Honda CB77 305 SuperHawk.. in 1968

Reactions: SUMDATX and Harkon

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my 52 years of ridding my first bike was the only one I put down wasn't my fault driver in front of me had his right turn signal on started around him he turned left. Didn't hurt the bike much a 1965 Honda CB 160 but I at least got to punch the IDOT, but I think it made me more aware of what could happen at any time. Now more than 50 years and a couple dozen bikes later something like this happens just wish I had the same opportunity to knock this IDOT down! Stay safe out there ridding has always been a way for me to escape and be by myself and some young punk will never stop that!

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Scary stuff WOOD MAN. I'm so glad I am not reading a more dire report. I have also been riding over 50 years. We can never assume we've seen it all. Dealing with lazy, ignorant car drivers is one thing, but malicious and aggressive behavior is quite another. Not sure how I would have handled it.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Scary stuff WOOD MAN. I'm so glad I am not reading a more dire report. I have also been riding over 50 years. We can never assume we've seen it all. Dealing with lazy, ignorant car drivers is one thing, but malicious and aggressive behavior is quite another. Not sure how I would have handled it.
depends if I hit my "RED" zone. :)

Reactions: SUMDATX and Blast

·
Registered
733 Posts
Owned my first motorcycle 41 years ago. There's a few missed years in the 80's and 90's when I didn't own a motorcycle, but I always keep my M/C endorsement on my Driver's license before the expiration date came up. 2001 to present I have been riding V-Twin cruisers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've been riding for over 20 years now. My 1st week of riding I had a dodge neon side swipe me for no reason and tried to roll me off the road. They ended up breaking my foot peg off on the left side of the bike. I luckily didn't go down. After they were finished with me they tried to go after my friend who saw what happened and never let them catch up to him. I was pretty shook though. I drove straight home that day and of course couldn't ride again until I got my foot peg replaced.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
471 Posts
I will be 70 in November and i am retired been riding well over 50 years was hit with a empty beer can years ago now everyone rides around in cars stoned on drugs at least here they do worked 33 years in accident reconstruction for the State seen it all let me tell you

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will be 70 in November and i am retired been riding well over 50 years was hit with a empty beer can years ago now everyone rides around in cars stoned on drugs at least here they do worked 33 years in accident reconstruction for the State seen it all let me tell you
When I was young no one I grew up with would of never thought of something so stupid like this, kids are so used to parents teachers coaches and about everyone telling them how great they are what a joke. You can see with the virus and how dangerous it is young people just don't care they keep partying and all they care about is stupid sports and video games.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
biggest deals. for me.
northbound on I 71 . a southbound semitruck/trailer... lost a rear wheel.. bounced over the concrete wall into the grass , hit the berm.. and wheel bounced over Dennis J. and myself , bikes at 75mph.

bird strike on left mirror...bird beak stuck in my left shoulder

a 2x4x18 inches... came up from a semi on an expressway... a Good Honda Wind shield deflected it up and over my head. Dennis was with me on this one also.

going north bound on a secondary highway...a rock from a south bound truck... stuck into my left leg... I could not get it out with a knife... had to ride to a Hospital.

a cigarette butt is nothing with a wind shield..

Reactions: THE WOOD MAN

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well while we're telling 'war' stories: Highing it out 80W one Saturday morning early this spring, en route to the cycle shop, I was lining up to pass a semi. Traffic was honking (75mph) but the guy had an 'oversize' (and apparently overweight) load I could not see around. Just as I committed to overtake it one of the roadside trailer tires came apart. A chunk hit me on the left side of my chest. Kind of whipped around the batwing. It was a shot. Felt like a solid punch. Kept going. When I got to shop I had a bruise the size of a softball. That's with T shirt, thermal long sleeve undershirt, and a Carhart flannel shirt under my leather jacket. That sh!t hurt for weeks!

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Damn. I hate to hear that. Glad you're OK.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts