Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't do much ridding, but for the last 30 years I have been riding every day....+500k miles...IJS

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's a shame you didn't call the police. Most likely, the punks have their fingerprints on file. Perhaps you could have gotten the prints off of the bottle. And, it seems you have a good description of their vehicle.

Regards,
Joe T.
To tell you the truth most police wouldn't care, unless they rode a bike and most of them couldn't find their PENIS if you pulled down their zipper for them. Just really glad I didn't go down and lived to ride another day.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow, has this been a while. In the late 1960's, by buddies and I used to ride dirt bikes (mini-bikes as well) through the fields & woods by us. Most of these bikes were put together with whatever parts we could scrounge - cashing in pop bottles for cash. Later when we were able to get our licenses, we hit the road with very well used sportsters, Hondas or Triumphs. The first "intact" bike I bought was a 1969 (pre-K) Honda CB750... remember those?

I have gone through several Harleys, a Kawasaki, a Triumph, perhaps something else I’m forgetting right now, until I picked up my VTX in 04. All-in-all I'd say as far as riding on the street - I've put in 50 years and could tack on another 5 or so riding off road.

I have never laid a bike down on the road – some very close calls though! Rocks tossed up from trucks/cars, bees & bugs whacking me in the face (when I used to ride without a helmet), spinning out from loose gravel in the corners and let us not forget the occasional deer that would jump out in front of you – ya.. good times.

I have to say, riding has been an important and fun part of my life so far and I will continue to ride as long as my health will allow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
One of my worst memories riding - without another human involved - was in 1972 when a bee/wasp/hornet/something that buzzed enter my helmet and go into my ear, while cruising down the interstate. Both hands came off the handlebars and I undid the chinstrap. He flew away without stinging me. Phew!

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you ride a motorcycle for 50+ years a lot of things have and can happen but this is a first for me. While ridding on RT.40 east in Wheeling WV. just after sunset I was going down hill 45mph I hear a car with a very loud exhaust flying up the hill passing everyone when we met on a turn one of the DICKS tossed something out the window, I seen it flying towards me a put my hand up to protect my face. Whatever it was hit me hard under the rib cage on my left side there was way to much traffic to stop or turn and go after them, next morning drove the hill and saw a full 20oz bottle of mountain dew on the side of the road just hard to believe so PUNK would do that. Now I have a large 6" bruise and still hurts just thank God it didn't hit me in the face I would of went down for sure, I will remember that silver pathfinder with the loud exhaust and they better hope I don't run into then when I have my truck. Stay safe out there everyone the road is full of IDOTS!
Yea, things have gotten much better since the 70's (used to carry pinball machine balls back then) but unfortunately it only takes one AH to ruin your day. Hope you get the SOB, wouldn't post it though ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Be 70 in November. In November of 2015, riding home from work a lady pulled out from a side rode from my right turning left right in front of me. Big green, soon to be tumble weed, was blocking her view, and i just saw her front bumper coming slowly out. I knew if she pulled out I couldn't stop in time. I lucked out. I did go down, but without hitting her. Sat up in middle of the rode with a broken arm, which i was very happy with, as i would have hit her broadside. And in addition, she stopped and pulled over and excepted full responsibility, and she had very large umbrella policy. Settled in December of 2018. Bought a 2002 Honda ST1100 on 12/31/2015 with a metal plate and pins in my arm and in a sling with money from my own insurance, and bought my 2006 VTX1800C2 on 12/31/2018. And bought a 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodisel later in October of 2019, and have cash in the bank. Best damn accident I ever had.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had just crossed the Mississippi river bridge in Memphis to Arkansas on I 40 about 9:30pm in 2017. Traffic was light and there was only one vehicle behind me. I'm barley in Arkansas and on a straight stretch of the interstate. I'm running 60/65 and the vehicle is getting closer and headlights are getting brighter. The vehicle (F 150) rear ends me !!!. I prepared for the impact by making sure I was going straight and not leaning , I got off the throttle. At impact the bike was giving a big push down the interstate. Three things saved me by going straight,off the throttle ,and the fender didn't contact the tire. The X being heavy was a big plus!. I escaped this ordeal , without a scratch. My taillights are mounted on the side rails and still worked. I pulled over and so did he.. we exchanged info and I was able to ride on to Dallas. He was just not paying attention and payed out of pocket for all of the damage. Thank the Lord , I was not the sandwich meat between a f 150 and the X going down the Interstate at 65 mph. I figured his speed by the looks of the rear fender to around 5 to 10 mph faster than me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thank the lord above you really got lucky could of been really ugly.
Yes Wood Man very blessed and lucky. This could have gone South on me real quick I think it would be great if the moderators would create a thread and call it 'I Survived '.I think our members could post their near misses, and accidents and how we could learn from their experiences and how they dealt with it. I not wanting doom and gloom posts but to be educated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
56 years of riding. I've run into a big beaver, German Shepard, and three cars. But nothing since 2000.
When you ride for years and many miles everyone will have the wild and domestic animals to deal with that's where they live. The point I was trying to get across to everyone was the kind of PUNKS and IDIOTS out there today that just don't care about life to throw a full bottle at someone on on a motorcycle at high speed is just stupid. This country needs to start the draft back up that is something that may make some of these DICKS grow up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Be 70 in November. In November of 2015, riding home from work a lady pulled out from a side rode from my right turning left right in front of me. Big green, soon to be tumble weed, was blocking her view, and i just saw her front bumper coming slowly out. I knew if she pulled out I couldn't stop in time. I lucked out. I did go down, but without hitting her. Sat up in middle of the rode with a broken arm, which i was very happy with, as i would have hit her broadside. And in addition, she stopped and pulled over and excepted full responsibility, and she had very large umbrella policy. Settled in December of 2018. Bought a 2002 Honda ST1100 on 12/31/2015 with a metal plate and pins in my arm and in a sling with money from my own insurance, and bought my 2006 VTX1800C2 on 12/31/2018. And bought a 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodisel later in October of 2019, and have cash in the bank. Best damn accident I ever had.
Glad you are OK , with no long term issues that could have affected your quality of life. Thank goodness you were compensated to your liking! You earned every penny, blood money is the hardest to make.
When I was rear ended, I escaped injury. My ordeal could have ended my life. I not a fan of night riding and I keep a reflected vest in my bag.Just glad both of us can reflect back on our experences.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Glad you didn't go down on that deal! I hit a jack rabbit at 70 mph on a 360 Yamaha many years ago, it was a bit of a jolt but not that bad. I've been really lucky. I really get wary if I'm behind a semi or a car-pickup that pulls over and put their right wheels in the shoulder, you never know what their tires might just kick up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That's gets my attention also. Also if I'm behind vehicles and with limited visibility to see down the road here is what I do. I will track the vehicles tires, doing that it makes sure if they straddled an object in the road , I won't hit that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I was young no one I grew up with would of never thought of something so stupid like this, kids are so used to parents teachers coaches and about everyone telling them how great they are what a joke. You can see with the virus and how dangerous it is young people just don't care they keep partying and all they care about is stupid sports and video games.

summer of 1970, Los Angeles, CA. Riding my Triumph 650 south on the 101. a car zoomed past. From the open driver's side passenger window came a pop can. I ducked. It missed. i certainly sympathize with your mishap. There have always been wild young men and women. I'm glad it was only a bruise.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Glad you didn't go down on that deal! I hit a jack rabbit at 70 mph on a 360 Yamaha many years ago, it was a bit of a jolt but not that bad. I've been really lucky. I really get wary if I'm behind a semi or a car-pickup that pulls over and put their right wheels in the shoulder, you never know what their tires might just kick up.
On two-lane roads I have some times cars pull over to the shoulder to create extra room for me so that I can pass.
I then deliberately stay far behind him; too dangerous with all the junk that can fly in my face: I'll pass when it is safe and when ---- I ---- am ready.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts