Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fun ( maybe) story. I stopped for fuel on a ride from LA to PDX just outside Reno. Huge 7-11. Huge, new sheriff's station across the road. I asked a fellow in the store about riding thru Nevada. He was in civvies, but a sheriff. He told me Sherriffs were good guys, but State Cops were "assholes." "Watch out for them."
The new fereeway soon narrowed to a two lane Hiway with occasional passing lanes. I was compliant and polite. Running for the front spot so I could run free. There was a long flat section, high plains. I politely sat behind three 18 wheelers doing 58 mph. Then the passing lane. It was my turn.
I kicked it down and took the lead. Approaching was a group of about 8 cars. I hadn't noticed, but the 5th auto approaching was a State Cop. He actually pulled out of his line and into my lane. Nuts! No escape for me. I was clearly over the speed limit passing three trucks in a passing lane.
But! The dog breeder cop was heading straight for me, head on. A seeming game if chicken. He pulled back into his lane. Then, at 55 mph or so, he did a high speed U turn into an open spot in the autos traveling in my direction. There was an off ramp. I took it and hid out while he went roaring past.
I chilled for a time, made myself a pb and j sandwich, then continued. I caught up with the truckers I'd passed. They confirmed that I'd been polite etc in my riding. (no comments about speed). And that Nevada State Cops are as the Sherriffs said, "assholes."
BTW, that was 395.its a long, but gorgeous ride. I've done it several times. I-5 is just a grind.
I-5 is best at nite. Little traffic. Few CHP.
Ride Free

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Fun ( maybe) story. I stopped for fuel on a ride from LA to PDX just outside Reno. Huge 7-11. Huge, new sheriff's station across the road. I asked a fellow in the store about riding thru Nevada. He was in civvies, but a sheriff. He told me Sherriffs were good guys, but State Cops were "assholes." "Watch out for them."
The new fereeway soon narrowed to a two lane Hiway with occasional passing lanes. I was compliant and polite. Running for the front spot so I could run free. There was a long flat section, high plains. I politely sat behind three 18 wheelers doing 58 mph. Then the passing lane. It was my turn.
I kicked it down and took the lead. Approaching was a group of about 8 cars. I hadn't noticed, but the 5th auto approaching was a State Cop. He actually pulled out of his line and into my lane. Nuts! No escape for me. I was clearly over the speed limit passing three trucks in a passing lane.
But! The dog breeder cop was heading straight for me, head on. A seeming game if chicken. He pulled back into his lane. Then, at 55 mph or so, he did a high speed U turn into an open spot in the autos traveling in my direction. There was an off ramp. I took it and hid out while he went roaring past.
I chilled for a time, made myself a pb and j sandwich, then continued. I caught up with the truckers I'd passed. They confirmed that I'd been polite etc in my riding. (no comments about speed). And that Nevada State Cops are as the Sherriffs said, "assholes."
BTW, that was 395.its a long, but gorgeous ride. I've done it several times. I-5 is just a grind.
I-5 is best at nite. Little traffic. Few CHP.
Ride Free
I find that in most states that the State police are just plain assholes no matter what your driving or ridding.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Through the good, bad & ugly, motorcycles have had a special and important part of my life. It's been a lot of years since I first twisted a throttle, and I have logged many thousands of miles on my bikes. I have seen some of the most beautiful parts of this great country of ours and wouldn't trade one minute of it. Didn't ride a lot this season, maybe only 2k. This Covid-19 thing really did a number on our rides & get-togethers. Maybe next riding season will be better.

It's now mid November up here in N.E. Ohio and the high today is only going to get to 37. It's that time to start my Winter maintenance on the old VTX and tuck it away for it's 5-6 month Winter's nap.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Through the good, bad & ugly, motorcycles have had a special and important part of my life. It's been a lot of years since I first twisted a throttle, and I have logged many thousands of miles on my bikes. I have seen some of the most beautiful parts of this great country of ours and wouldn't trade one minute of it. Didn't ride a lot this season, maybe only 2k. This Covid-19 thing really did a number on our rides & get-togethers. Maybe next riding season will be better.

It's now mid November up here in N.E. Ohio and the high today is only going to get to 37. It's that time to start my Winter maintenance on the old VTX and tuck it away for it's 5-6 month Winter's nap.
You a not far from where I live northern West Virginia, I am also putting my bike to rest for the year this week. Going to try to get one more ride in on Saturday may hit 60 I wish I could ride year round seems like the season for ridding keep getting shorter in the northeast⛄

·
Registered
8,096 Posts

Ditto here 3 hrs. SE of you. Just started sn##-ing a few minutes ago, 34-35* and falling. Need to move some stuff out of the way to get to the bike jack/ stand and put her away for her nappie. Just turned 70, not much left in my riding future. A wife w/ Parkinson's to care for, more Covid lockdowns on the way.

Reactions: THE WOOD MAN

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Ditto here 3 hrs. SE of you. Just started sn##-ing a few minutes ago, 34-35* and falling. Need to move some stuff out of the way to get to the bike jack/ stand and put her away for her nappie. Just turned 70, not much left in my riding future. A wife w/ Parkinson's to care for, more Covid lockdowns on the way.
I'm closing in on 70 to fast a couple years to go, was only planning on ridding to 70 but I may try to go beyond that maybe a smaller bike don't know if the good lord willing 👼 Sorry that your wife has Parkinson's its a terrible thing that seems to come out of nowhere help her when she needs it and try to put a few miles on the VTX when you can. Stay healthy until the air clears we are going through bad times and they can only get better enjoy the holidays 🍗🍻🎅

41 - 46 of 46 Posts