Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi for everybody, i just buyed a 2005 Vtx 1800 R3 ... i would like to read your opinions about the paint care

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
a 15 year old bike.. ???? Happy New year.

best care is at day one..... now is to keep the condition as what you GOT.

if you never rubbed out a paint job. NOW is not the time to learn... to easy to damage the paint.

keep it clean, wax twice the first time.. do not use wax with cleaners in it.. it will remove paint.

I have the advantage...

I got my 05 New.. production and purchase date 2/2005.
built in Ohio, I lived in Ohio...
ordered before production started of this model. the "F".

I know how to rub out paint.. and what to use.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Weather is very hard on paint, chrome, and aluminum. If possible park the bike inside where it is dry. Keep the bike clean so it won't become scratched when rubbing against it. I occasionally wax my bikes with a paste wax and in between waxing I use pledge, but only if the bike is relatively clean, otherwise I wash it with mild soap and water and blow dry it with a leaf blower first. Now that I am retired, I chose to ride when it is not raining. Yeas ago, I'd ride in all weather and then it was tough to keep the bikes clean and shiny.

·
Old Goat
24,071 Posts
My bike stays pretty clean...after a ride I go over it with a swifter duster then cover....I use to use honda polish...now I use pledge on everything...good luck

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The secret is an 80 grit sandpaper wash followed by a rock chip rubdown (after that you won’t give a crap, thus freeing up more time for riding)

Common sense type washing and wax should be plenty of care. Google two bucket wash, use a grit guard, keep your wash utensils clean, use automotive soap, etc, etc.....

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
My experience

There are some flippant responses, but I'd like to offer my best tips based on my 35 years of owning and riding.

Your stock paint comes with a clear coat that is likely to be is good shape since Honda used excellent painting processes made to last a lifetime if cared for. A LOT of riders that care for their paint forget to consider the damage UV/Sun damage will do to a paint job. My bike is the Honda Durango Red and I learned the hard way that parking it daily in the sun will fade the paint even if it is regularly polished. My solution? If the bike is parked outside, put a cover over it. I also invested in good UV protection polishes.

My best recommendation for those who buy a used bike is to wash then go over the paint with a clay bar process, to remove old wax and pull out contaminates buildup then follow with Maguire's Ultra Pro Polish, (polish provides a mild abrasive that removes fine scratches) then follow with Meguiar's Ultimate wax (wax and polish are not the same thing).

After all this process, the best and easiest way to maintain your shine and protection is an occasional microfiber wipe down using Wash Wax All. This product is simply awesome in terms of a fast, easy way to lay down UV protection, shine, and anti-static protection. I used to use Lemon Pledge spray furniture polish for a fast/easy daily wipe down after my ride to work, but this is a far better product.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aero+wax+and+wash&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29a6rZn35gIVy56zCh3tKAjEEAAYASAAEgLcRvD_BwE&hvadid=323373007437&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9031645&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=3538214946871843300&hvtargid=kwd-750711820761&hydadcr=7250_9585987&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_62c6vkvzt6_b

So, there you have it—all my best tips! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Cleaning and Waxing regularly really extends the life of the paint job. I wash mine probably twice a month and paste wax it about 6 times a year. Mine is an 03 and paint is still hard and shiny. A lot of guys clean and wax every week or more.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
No matter how you take care of your paint, it can/will get damaged a way or another. So, I repaint my bikes every 3-4 years, anyway...>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Honda spray cleaner & polish is what i use to clean-up my bike between washes. Just got 2 cans delivered yesterday. Now just need some warm weather. Mild yet effective. I use Novus 1 on the windshield.

Tried "Bike Spirits cycle wash" once and it was to much like a solvent, too harsh on the finish and not good for chrome plastic parts imo.

Like with a windshield, on the bike the first spray of cleaner is just to soften the dust/bugs/water spots and the first wipe-off should be gentle and to one direction only to remove dust/bugs etc. Then the second cleaner spray you go in and do the final cleaning using multi-directional motion using the clean side of the microfiber towel.

If your bike is really dirty then hose, bucket and mild soap are best.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I use Meguiar's Paste Wax, after I washing them using Meguiar's Gold Class soap, on all 6 of my vehicles.

My 11.5 year old minivan sits outside with 200,000 miles of all kinds of weather on it. My VTX is 12 years old with 140,000 miles of mixed weather exposure. Both of them have paint that looks near new.

I use their motorcycle leather cleaner on my two MC seats and any other MC fake or real leather. I use it on my the leather steering wheels. I use their leather cleaner and conditioner on my pick up seats and the seats in my cars.

·
Registered
308 Posts

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts