Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is this pair mod I keep hearing about and people referring to? I just got my VTX 13 last Saturday and put almost 300 miles on it in a 1.5 days, not to mention the bub pipes I got for it already! But decelerating from about 50 or so it has a slight wobble or shimmy in the steering. Nothing extreme but I ate a little of the seat with my a$$. Tire has good tread but haven't checked the nuts bolts etc. Anyways all knowledge is appreciated pictures are a plus and hyper links to posts are great.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wobble seems to be related to cheap and/or under torqued steering stem bearings. Most people install all balls stem bearings to correct the problem.

Pair mod is removing exhaust gas flappers and blocking the holes with plates. Results are usually better exhaust tone, less clutter on top of motor, and minor throttle response improvement.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
+1 on removing the PAIR valve. You won't find a better tutorial than the one that was posted by Bare. The steering neck bearings are something that I haven't fooled with yet, but the front wheels on both my VTX 1300C and R wobbled with Dunlop tires that were pretty well worn down. I went to Metzelers and it stopped doing it. My Dunlops wore unevenly on the front, which was probably the culprit for my wobble. I'm not throwing off on Dunlop, but that was my observation on two different bikes. Check the tires and their pressures. For the neck bearings, others will be more knowledgeable.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Always give us all the info on your bike Model,year, mileage, and any accessories - pipes /intake/jetting. this helps and saves us a lot odf time from asking.
If you do the par mod do not just block things off - install the knockoff plates.
Do not run 32f and 36r tire pressure. Only run 38-40psi in front and 40 psi in rear and if riding two up increase the rear pressure by 3psi.

Donut

·
Registered
797 Posts
Always give us all the info on your bike Model,year, mileage, and any accessories - pipes /intake/jetting. this helps and saves us a lot odf time from asking.
If you do the par mod do not just block things off - install the knockoff plates.
Do not run 32f and 36r tire pressure. Only run 38-40psi in front and 40 psi in rear and if riding two up increase the rear pressure by 3psi.

Donut
This should help deter uneven tire wear, and may help with wobble.

I also had the wobble when my front dunlop was at the end of its lifespan (It started around 11k miles, I replaced it at just under 14k). Went double dark with the avon roadrider, and now bike tracks straight and no more wobble. I have no doubt that all balls would probably fix the problem too due to being a stiffer bearing, but, at least in my case, the CAUSE seemed to be the tire. My stem bearing was not notchy or rough in an way when the front end is actuated side to side, so I see no reason to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Raising the pressure like I said above you will more than double the life of the tires. Normal tire wear out is from 7 to 9k miles.
Upping it and you will get over 18k miles - this is a proven fact over the years for many.
Donut/Doug

·
Registered
389 Posts
I actualy drilled the end of the screw off flush with the guard plate then backed it right out w/ a screwdriver allowing me to use a flat 1/8" blockoff plate my buddy made at work then never used on his bike.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I've been chasing this decel wobble for the past year. I had brand new tires on front & back and JakeWilson replaced the front without question, and that didn't help. I added DynaBeads and that didn't help. I ordered new Bearings fron All-Balls with the intention of putting them in over the winter. I run 40 lbs tire pressure all the time. I even replaced the rear shock bushings. Last summer I tightened the steering stem nut a quarter turn and it seems to have helped a bit, but it was still there.
Finally last night while I was dismantling the front end to install those bearings, I decided to tighten the steering nut another 1/4 turn & put it back together. (Chickened out) Took it out for a ride. Took my hands off the bars at 40, 50 & 60+mph. No wobble at all!
I'm told that if you tighten the steering nut too much you could end up with high speed wobble ..... Haven't tested that one yet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I've been chasing this decel wobble for the past year. I had brand new tires on front & back and JakeWilson replaced the front without question, and that didn't help. I added DynaBeads and that didn't help. I ordered new Bearings fron All-Balls with the intention of putting them in over the winter. I run 40 lbs tire pressure all the time. I even replaced the rear shock bushings. Last summer I tightened the steering stem nut a quarter turn and it seems to have helped a bit, but it was still there.
Finally last night while I was dismantling the front end to install those bearings, I decided to tighten the steering nut another 1/4 turn & put it back together. (Chickened out) Took it out for a ride. Took my hands off the bars at 40, 50 & 60+mph. No wobble at all!
I'm told that if you tighten the steering nut too much you could end up with high speed wobble ..... Haven't tested that one yet. Hope this helps.
I'd still install the All-Balls roller bearings.

Donut

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No fat chicks

So check the tire, air pressure, replace the bearings and keep the fat chicks off. And it's an 04 VTX 1300C with 16k miles. Only aftermarket hard parts are the one piece handle bars/risers. Puttin Bub pipes on Sunday night and de-smogging it.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
The roller bearings, all balls, will handle the preload , and more of it, than the stock ball bearings. Producing a firm grip on the front end of the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Always check the obvious 1st

Well I checked the tire pressure, 20psi in the rear 28psi in the front. Just put the bibs pipes on it, holy hell! There goes the neighborhood! I'll update on the wobble when I take it out

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Well I checked the tire pressure, 20psi in the rear 28psi in the front. Just put the bibs pipes on it, holy hell! There goes the neighborhood! I'll update on the wobble when I take it out
Those pressures are way way way to low 40 front 40 rear. or you will eat them up.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O I knew that was way too low an promptly inflated them to 40 f and r. No wobble, go figure. But it does have a minor pop (lean popping) on decel with the new pipes.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
O I knew that was way too low an promptly inflated them to 40 f and r. No wobble, go figure. But it does have a minor pop (lean popping) on decel with the new pipes.
Tires will wear out in 7 -9 kmiles at 23f 36 r
At 40/40 you will get over 18K + miles out of them. this is a proven fact in 8 years on two boards.

Donut/Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts