Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I decided to put a Bluevtx breather and remove the pair valve yesterday. I couldn't get the brass screw out that's holding the reed valve to the head. I ended up attaching all the pair valve hoses back up except for the one going to the breather. I just put a bolt in the hose and used a hose clamp to plug the pair valve hose that went to the breather. Will it be alright to run it with that hose plugged with the reed valves not removed ? Also I didn't rejet , yet. I rode it home from work this morning with no backfiring. I plan on getting new plugs today and will check them the next time I ride.
Thanks,
capt42a

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Its best to remove the entire PAIR system as the hoses will fill with water if you just plug it.
Wont hurt anything for the time being though - just keep an eye on it.

Which screws couldn't you get out?
The ones holding the little flapper piece to the gasket? - those are swedged into place so they don't back out. You need to drill off the head, or grind off the mushroomed threaded part. I took some vice grips in popped the head right off.
I saw a good idea someone had. They were going to drill a little spot in the blockoff plate (not all the way through) where the screw hits it so they could keep, the flapper intact. Dont know how they made out but it looked good on paper.

If those are not the screws you are talking about...please excuse my rambling. :oops:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Pöi§ön said:
Its best to remove the entire PAIR system as the hoses will fill with water if you just plug it.
Wont hurt anything for the time being though - just keep an eye on it.

Which screws couldn't you get out?
The ones holding the little flapper piece to the gasket? - those are swedged into place so they don't back out. You need to drill off the head, or grind off the mushroomed threaded part. I took some vice grips in popped the head right off.
I saw a good idea someone had. They were going to drill a little spot in the blockoff plate (not all the way through) where the screw hits it so they could keep, the flapper intact. Dont know how they made out but it looked good on paper.

If those are not the screws you are talking about...please excuse my rambling. :oops:
That was me, but I actually thought about it after the fact. I had already popped the heads off the reeds and removed them, and then got to thinking if I had to replace the system for whatever reason (warranty work came to mind) I’d have to buy new ones. So I mentioned this procedure several times, the first time someone came back and said “well there only (put in dollar amount here, don’t remember), just buy new ones” but then you’re waiting for them to come in, money spent on something you really didn’t want to spend it on. Those kinda things, like I said the first time, if I had to do it all over again, that’s what I would do, I know I could, easy.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pair valve

Poison,
You're right on it. It was the screw holding the flapper (reed valve ?) to the top of the head. I was afraid to grind it off with the opening to the head being right there. I've got BlueVTX's video, I just didnt take the time to watch it before starting the project (read dummy). Also thanks for letting me know it would be alright to ride it like it is for now. I've also got a Dyna jet kit I bought for this project and haven't re-jetted yet. I think I was running pretty rich before adding the breather, and plan on riding it today and try to read my spark plugs. I did ride it about 20 miles this morning and didn't backfire once during the ride.
Thanks,
capt42a

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Re: pair valve

capt42a said:
Poison,
You're right on it. It was the screw holding the flapper (reed valve ?) to the top of the head. I was afraid to grind it off with the opening to the head being right there.
Capt...unless I'm misunderstanding (a distinct possibility) :lol:
That whole flapper valve will pop right out of the head. Your right to not want to grind it while still in there. Metal in head = bad.

Check out roogies post too: I'm talking about the rectangular piece on the bench...5th photo down.
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pair valve

Thanks Poison,
I didn't realize it just popped out. I'll watch BlueVTX's video before I try to tackle it again, as I obviously should have done before starting the job. I was just concerned I might damage the engine with the hose plugged and I will not be able to work on it again till next week. I figured it would be the same as people that have been plugging the hose inside the stock airbox, I just wanted to hear it from someone with more experience.
Thanks again, I owe you a cold one.
capt42a

·
Registered
750 Posts
pairvalve

Hello,

capt42a

after you watch the video and if you need any help iam only a phone call away , on the coasters i sent to you if you do not want to take the reed out of the plate you can do this , have the plate in the head take some lip stick and put on the head of the screw then set the coaster over it with the two bolts through it and start the bolts , let the lip stick on the reed touch the coaster take it back off and use a 1/4 , 5/16 drill bit and indent the coaster enough so that the screw head will fit into the coaster and tighten up to seal .

if i can help further let me know

Jesse

1 - 7 of 7 Posts