Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Just about everyone with aftermarket exhaust has done the PAIR removal.
WHY?? Because the De-cel explosions are bad for your ears...

You do not need plates. The reed valve cover is under the plastic spark plug covers.
The reed valve cover on top where the PAIR hose goes to, put a bolt with RTV or epoxy on the threads and let it sit over night.
Ride the next day.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bike was 3 years old when I purchased it and the pipes were already changed out. I will have to see if the mod is done. I don't really hear a lot of popping. I will let you guys know what I find.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Several ways to plug...even though its under the tank..I chose the plates for a more factory appearance...but thats just me...good luck...:thumbup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I looked and there is a hose connected to it, so it hasn't been removed.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just about everyone with aftermarket exhaust has done the PAIR removal.
WHY?? Because the De-cel explosions are bad for your ears...

You do not need plates. The reed valve cover is under the plastic spark plug covers.
The reed valve cover on top where the PAIR hose goes to, put a bolt with RTV or epoxy on the threads and let it sit over night.
Ride the next day.

Hans, just asking, did you remove the reed's or just plugged the hose connection? Guess what I am asking is there any reason to remove the reed valve cover and gut the reed valve?

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
In the discovery phase I may have mutilated one reed valve. I was going to make a cap out of 1/4" plate aluminum. Somewhere along I said screw it and went to version 2. Tapped a few threads, set screw and RTV. The ID tapers to a smaller diameter.

You can try the nearest snug fitting bolt without taking the covers off. Apply RTV then put the bolt in. Air pulsed into exhaust port, reed prevents exhaust back flow. There is about a 3/8" hole from reed area to the exhaust port.

Leaving the reed in the easiest way to go.

The flat reed caps come in 2 versions, with a small blind hole for the reed screw and the the other version does not have the hole and you remove the reed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
When i did my valve adjustment i left mine alone the only thing i have done to my 2008 VTX1300 is turn up the idle runs great of course it is stock original VTX the pair valve might be needed for inspection

1 - 10 of 10 Posts