Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
pretty darn close in weight to what you're used to riding, plus the GW isnt top heavy like i heard the 1800 tends to be.

I seriously like that 2016 GW Audio comfort even in black i think its awesome and i can only imagine how sweet it its to ride with the tunes playing...

·
Super Moderator
6,366 Posts
I understand what you're saying. We each have to know our limitations. My VTX was an 1800 with LOTS of extra weight.

I did look at specs for all three and found...

2007 VTX 1300 R; 670 lbs dry weight, 710 lbs with fluids before another "30ish" lbs in bags and extras = 740 lbs
2002 VTX 1800 R; 740 lbs dry weight, so 780 lbs with fluids before another "30ish" lbs in bags and extras = 820 lbs
2016 F6B only gives 850 wet/curb weight, but that includes bags and faring extras.

This is exactly why I sold my 1800. With all the extra chrome, bags, batwing, etc I'm sure I was somewhere north of 850. My FB feels light by comparison, though it should as it's only 699 wet. That's also why it will remain as it is now.

But those prices, WoW! I've never fit on a GW due to long legs but if I was 30 years younger I'd try harder to make one work. For those prices they're practically giving them away. Great bikes too!

·
Old Goat
24,780 Posts
I had a 97 GW for awhile...fell in love with the flat six...but honestly didnt need the rest of the bike...thats why i was glad when the F6B came out...sold the GW thinking I would purchase one....but that didnt happen and is another story....again enjoy the ride and stay safe...:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,350 Posts
This was a Hijack!
A message from Steve regarding "Heat shrink tube with solder and hot glue rings internally".
Probably nice to use when going to internal wiring on handle bars.
If you use the Rattlebar Starter Relay method you could use smaller wiring in the bars and let the relay do the high current switching.
Would have been nice 10-12 years ago when many were customizing.
https://www.popleshop.com/products/waterproof-solder-wire-connectors-50pcs?fbclid=IwAR2T__rzUjuCYOBacSMV60s4fo6LRENBKQSAUUuZ_APl1uhMXlLzDYTZrVU

Low temp solder in a heat shrink tube.
The late 70's version in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I found several versions of the same products on
with very good reviews and lots of answered questions.

These will be great IF the glue at the ends holds the wires securely while the low heat solder is enough to keep a good connection. Probably not the the best for high current or when the wire is pulled and moved a lot. I wish I'd had these when I got my first "New to Me" VTX. Would have made rewiring the previous owners blinker and accessory mods a lot easier. Don't know how many times I soldered the wires together only then to realize I'd forgotten to put the waterproof shrink tubing on first.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What? You've got a new bike and now you can't pass on what you've learned to those who still have one? Or are going to get one? Nobody's gonna turn you in for not owning a VTX.
A discontinued VTX can only survive for so long as we head into the 2020's. It's okay you wanted to move on to another bike. Many members have and are still on this site.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts