Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a second 1300. It is a 2004 S model with only 8,400 miles on it. Needs minor stuff only. I already have a C model which I love. The main reason I bought another is to have a spare for maintenance reasons. I want to be able to work on one and take my time while riding the other and when both are running, I can spread the miles around a bit between them. Also, I bought a Kendon folding trailer and I want to start bringing a bike further out and take on vacations and such. I like the idea of having one bike tucked away in the garage at home while getting the other one dirty. I'm a bit strange.

Anyway, with two of these bikes, both low miles, but with an average age of 17 years on them, I do consider the prospect of a time when parts are hard to come by. These are very simple machines with timeless looks and features and they run forever, so it makes me hopeful we will be able to find parts for quite a while yet. I'd love to get at least 10-15 more years out of these two bikes. I know that some dabble in vintage motorcycles. For those that do, how is parts availability for the older bikes from the 70s, 80's, early 90s? They made a ton of these VTX's (82k of them I believe) and they are all over the world. That gives me some hope. Its not like these are deeptrack bikes. And of course, the other side of the coin is the answer to the question of how many parts will I really need? I'm mostly considering wear and tear items, maybe plastic covers, etc. Then there is always the salvage market......

I guess if things get really dire, I could start to use one of the bikes as a parts bike for the other. One is a C and one is an S, but they are mostly similar mechanically.

I'm not against eventually just getting a different/newer bike. It's not a money thing for me. It's a simple consideration that I have two bikes now that are old enough to vote, but both are mint condition and I love them. Just trying to convince myself I can have them and enjoy them for as long as I want without forcing them into early retirement because I can't get parts.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If you're talking about OEM parts (nuts & bolts, smaller electrical, etc.) and keeping it stock, I suspect there will be parts for a long time. If you're talking about after-market bling-y things, not so much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not into the aftermarket stuff too much. Just want to keep em rolling as long as I can.

Just discovered Ron Ayers OEM parts today. Quite a bit cheaper than Partzilla.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I do consider the prospect of a time when parts are hard to come by. These are very simple machines with timeless looks and features and they run forever, so it makes me hopeful we will be able to find parts for quite a while yet. I'd love to get at least 10-15 more years out of these two bikes. I know that some dabble in vintage motorcycles. For those that do, how is parts availability for the older bikes from the 70s, 80's, early 90s? They made a ton of these VTX's (82k of them I believe) and they are all over the world. That gives me some hope. Its not like these are deeptrack bikes. And of course, the other side of the coin is the answer to the question of how many parts will I really need? I'm mostly considering wear and tear items, maybe plastic covers, etc. Then there is always the salvage market......
You know you'll be keeping your VTX a long time. Start buying and collecting spare parts for maintenance now while the parts are still avilable. That's what I did. Enjoy you bike now. I stopped worrying about the future.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Some parts are used on other bikes, I suspect these parts will be around for a while. Parts like exhausts, tanks, tins (or plastics in the 1300R front fender) might become increasing difficult to find.

At some point, it will just be cheaper to buy a parts bike (for example, if you need a tank).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some parts are still easy to get, some take some searching. I just rebuilt my top end due to what I suspect was overheating by the previous owner. It had a badly scored cylinder and the piston was beginning to knock pretty loudly. Rings were kinda tough, but doable. The dealer here in town could get me pistons and head gaskets. I had to search for the rest. The gasket sets are no longer available, so you have to search the parts lists to get all your o-rings. But for the most part the only thing that was a complete no go was piston pins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts