Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

Registered
I like to wear the vest once in awhile, especially if its a little cool out in the morning and will warm-up later. Truth told i only wear it about 5-6 rides per year. Might get back into it again add some patches, break the vest in more (still looks new). I have 2 identical vests, one with patches and one plain one without any patches.

So far i have refused to roll around in the dirt with my vest on to make it look more broken-in :oops:馃榿.

Registered
This kinda came up the other day when someone asked about swinging patches from an old vest to a new one. I don't run a vest but, I have two patches on my jacket. American Flag and FTW. Yes, it's been FTW for 66 years and still is. Donnie, is a suit and tie any less a costume? I sure feel 'costumed' when dressed like that. For Charles (Chuck): Bikes I've owned (in chron. order) '46 wl, '49 fl, '72 Commando, '68 flh., '02 VTX. Shortest duration was the Norton. Great bike but shook like a paint mixer. Longest duration was 68 shovel, owned and rode that bike from '75 to 2005.

Registered
Only patches I've ever had my entire life are the iron-on jeans repair. Needed my pants to last as long as possible when young, also never felt the need to "advertise" what I like. If someone is interested enough to talk I'm happy to get to know them. Yes I'm a bit of an introvert, never gone on a group ride.

Registered
That plus patches serve as reminders of experiences and accomplishments....
My patches are personal to me.
My friends patches show their motorcycling history, the roads travelled to get to today.
^^^^ Those
My patches don't advertise brands or opinions. They are mere reminders of where I've been and what I've seen. Like the TotD. That's a conversation starter.

Registered
No club.. just my own last name which helps prevent reckless riding in places where folks know me. The flags at the bottom are just places where I live for part of the year.
Maybe you鈥檒l be able to get back up here some day.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

Registered
I don't wear my patches. I have several, mostly from the Iron Butt Association, one from AMA, and probably one from the GWRRA along with at least one each from the NRA, ORA, and TSRA. My vest is worn to cover up my personal protection that I usually carry. I am not sure why I don't wear patches on it.

Some people like to wear their patches. If that is what they like, it is their business. Some people proudly sport decals on their motorcycle. That is OK too. I have some decals on my VTX showing a few of the many places it has taken me in the 49 states and 11 of the Canadian provinces/territories during its 141,000 miles. A lot of riders do neither. I know a member of the IBA who has more records and ridden all over the world with maybe one or two decals and no patches.

Just because it is a cruiser doesn't mean it can't be ridden hard, fast (just not as fast in the curves as a sport bike) and long (much longer than a sport bike).

I agree some folks jump into motorcycle riding without any skills and refuse to take a motorcycle safety course. That is their problem and I will not ride with them. This is why I will not ride in a group any more. Four is my limit and then I must sort of know them.

I don't care to single out any brand of motorcycle to lump all who ride that brand into the same pot. But is does seem that more Harley riders seem to dress in costume and act like bad asses. Then their big ride is a ride to a bar. I think the "bad ass" attitude gives us a bad name.

It makes me feel good to run into a Harley rider who actually does some serious long distance riding. There are a lot of them and really nice guys/gals. I met many of them at the annual IBA meeting in Jacksonville. Just this week I ran into two HD riders while in Mexican Hat, Utah. They were from western Washington and on their way to south Texas for a tour of "small towns of Texas". This was to be a 16 day trip. Now that is serious miles.

It is just me but I do not like to be called a biker. I am proudly a motorcycle rider.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts