Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now on my 4th day of this oil change, and I'm not done yet! Excuse me while I whine...

As my bike's in pieces, I figured now is a good time to make the switch over to Synthetic. Since it was easy to get the Mobile1 Gold cap, I just picked up a jug at Walmart.

Day 1: I already had the bike jacked up checked out the service manual to identify the which screw to remove and noted there was a front and back drain plug. So I removed them and only about a quart of oil came out. I took off the filter and only a little more came out. Checked the dipstick and sure enough, tons of oil left. Looked all over and finally decided the bike was slighly on an incline in the garage, so I spun her allow over the freakin garage and succeeded in spueing a little more oil on the floor, but nothing near the remaining 2 quarts of so. Left the place a mess and went to bed.

Day 2: Decided to speak w/ the Dealer's service department for tips, and the wise ass there says, "You sure you got the right screw, not trying to offend you..." I say, sure I do. We then both agreed I must have the wrong screw, and after checking out a Retro on the showroom floor, our assumption was right. I had the wrong screw. When I got home, I noticed the screw was under one of the two bike lift bars that it rests on and I didn't see it before. I then lowered the bike, and put the front tire on a couple pieces of wood to keep it lift in front as the lift wouldn't come now as it was stuck. (Wondering if the new front springs lowered it a tiny bit?) With the front tire about 3 inches off the ground I rested the bike on the stand and pulled out the lift. Seemed like plenty of room to remove the screw and drain w/o the lift, and I did successfully. Yeah, time to rejoice!! Went to bed.

Day 3: Alright, finally ready to load this puppy up w/ Mobil 1. I check out where 3.7 quarts would be on the jug and pour away. I stopped a little past 3 quarts to check and sure enough, my dip sticked showed I was about 3 inches over my fill limit, and it looked dirty :!: :!: :!: :evil: I dipped and wiped that sucker a dozen times w/ the same damn result. I'm an ass! I went to bed. :x

Day 4: I realized now, the damn bike wasn't level when I drained it as I left the front tire on the piece of wood so I could pull the lift out. She must have had another quart or so left in her that didn't drain out before I filled it back up w/ new Mobil1. Urrr :evil: .

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.... OK.

QUESTION: Do I have to drain it all out again so that the 1 quart of old oil is not mixed w/ the synthetic, or can I leave it and just drain out a little until it's the right level.

I may be going to Walmart again for a new jug, huh... :(

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I NEVER use my lift to drain oil,the two drain plugs are placed to drain with the bike on sidestand,not level. I think this is 90% of your problem......... :D Rod

·
Registered
22 Posts
sounds like you have a synthetic blend :shock: I don't think you will hurt anything if you can drain just a quart out,although it would be better to start over again,look you know how to do it now :wink:

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Wont hurt one bit to have it mixed.
You dont need a lift to change the oil (as you have seen). It only gets in the way.
Better to change it when its warm and everything is mixed up and flowing easier than when cold. You may also want to have some crush washers on hand for the oil drain bolts.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =698124276

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
To give myself a little more knuckle room underneath while changing the oil, I cut a couple of 2X4's to about 18" and tapered one edge each. I just ride the bike up the 2X4's, stick another 2X4 under the kickstand, and have plenty of room for oilpan and knuckles.

(Probably what just about everyone does, I imagine...)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Youuuuu just might be related to me........That how all my projects go....
I can screw up changing a light bulb.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You might want to try lifting the bike up and shaking the remainder of the oil out. Im pretty sure thts how your supposed to get the last Qt out.Seriously better not to use the lift it does just get in the way. :)

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
dont forget Poison's tip of tipping the bike as far to the left as you can then to the right after you think you got it all out.
or is that to the right then left?
or does it matter?
or is it right, right, then left left?
just tip the damn thing back and forth before filling it back up!

·
Registered
127 Posts
oil

dude i know where your coming from. Its just to hard to change the oil on the ground. I cant get a torque wrench on the bolts when its down. What i do is i lift it up and take concrete blocks and put one under each wheel and one under the kickstand and lower the bike down. Now its easy to reach all drain plugs and filter and plus its easy on the back. Its also a good time to clean/check the engine since you put all the time into it. Hope this helps.
neo

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pöi§ön said:
Wont hurt one bit to have it mixed.
You dont need a lift to change the oil (as you have seen). It only gets in the way.
Better to change it when its warm and everything is mixed up and flowing easier than when cold. You may also want to have some crush washers on hand for the oil drain bolts.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... =698124276
Crush washers :!: :roll: Damn, good tip! Thanks.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blackXrider said:
You might want to try lifting the bike up and shaking the remainder of the oil out. Im pretty sure thts how your supposed to get the last Qt out.Seriously better not to use the lift it does just get in the way. :)
You should have seen me. I was! I was holding onto the rear struts and trying to shake that F#$%^$er all over the place. If someone was watching they would have thought I was insane! Needless to say it didn't help. Almost as much fun as shaking my gas tank trying to get out the last cup that never seems to come out easily.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning on leaving it as is w/ about 1 quart of old oil and 2.5 of new Mobil1. Anyone stongly object to this as being a dumb ass move? I'm just loosing my drive on futzing w/ this any further. I could drain and do again, but if there's no real problem, I'll just wait another 3K miles and do it again.

Beside, my tins are coming in Monday from painter and I'll be spending all my time getting her back together!!!!! Yeah!!! I estimate about 5 hours, I'm hoping!!

Let me know if my lazy idea of keeping it "blended" (nice...) won't kill anything!

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Oh dear God that was funny :lol: Thanks for giving me a good laugh on this Thursday afternoon! I needed that.

Sounded VERY much like my first attempt at changing the oil. Not quite like it is on the cars. I think the other guys have already said it, but leave it off the jack (get a very short drainpain first) and then just pull the plugs, stand 'er up and rock it from side to side. Been doin that since my first fiasco that sounded very much like your story and haven't had a problem since.

Anyway, I'm laughin WITH you..not AT you...I've been there myself. :lol:

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
pepsX said:
dont forget Poison's tip of tipping the bike as far to the left as you can then to the right after you think you got it all out.
or is that to the right then left?
or does it matter?
or is it right, right, then left left?
just tip the damn thing back and forth before filling it back up!
Aw, now you've went and done it, I'm confused :wink:

·
Registered
258 Posts
DID MINE ABOUT 2 WKS AGO, BEST BET IS TO DRAIN ON SIDE STAND FOR A WHILE ---THEN LEVEL UP AND WATCH THE REST DRAIN OUT. REPLACE PLUGS AND FILL---CHECK BY LEVELING BIKE(SIT ON IT LIKE YOU ARE ABOUT TO RIDE)SHOULD GET IT RIGHT THEN. I USED THE TECH TIP SITE ON THE BOARD AND IT WORKED OUT FINE........USED ONE OF THOSE STRAP WRENCH THINGS AND IT WORKED FINE TO GET OIL FILTER OFF.......BE CAREFUL THIS IS A 3 BEER JOB ANY MORE THAN THAT AND IT WILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT DAY :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
dont forget one of Poison's tips.
make sure oil level is full.
stand bike on kickstand and remove dip stick.
file a small line at top of oil level.
now you can check oil level without haveing to stand it up straight...very helpfull!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is Mobil making a 40 wt. oil in gold cap synthetic? I've been in Wally World several times in the last month and I've never seen any. I thought that they might have sold out but I could not find an empty space on shelve with 40 wt. tag. Guess I'll ask someone in automotive if their going to stocking it if it's being manufactured.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OrangeRetro said:
This is the longest oil change thread I've ever seen. :lol:
And I still haven't finished the oil change :!: :shock: :lol: I'm now debating draining it out completely again and starting over so its full of clean synthetic w/o the blend. I can go w/ some blended scotch, even blended coffee, but I think blending my old oil w/ new synth just isn't a smooth move.

Lil Daddy - its the 15W - 50 weight. I'm in NJ and don't ride much below 40 degrees.

Fellow NJians - Get ready to ride this weekend!!!! Nice weather Sat & Sun! Woooooohhhh! :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts