Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey group!

Need some help. I attempted to buy an 1800C seat for my 1300C after reading a great write up by a fellow x-er on how to take one and modify it. The seller and I agreed on a reasonable price including 1/2 shipping.

I offered to pay with a money order that I would overnight to him, going at risk that I'd get the seat. He preferred PayPal. No prob. I signed up and paid with my credit card.

The he wrote back and said I should become a 'verified' member of Pay Pal which apparently means PP gets banking account info to back up the credit card. I preferred not to do this, so he asked for an extra $2 for credit card charges.

Again, no prob. He was being reasonable and the $2 was not a problem. So I re-sumitted payment for the original amount plus $2. Once again he refused my payment because Pay Pal wanted me to be a Verified member.

I elected to cancel the transaction, as it was just getting silly and a credit card should be enough. I was glad to pay the fee for him. But the bank account didn't make sense for one transaction every decade.

Sorry for the long winded... What do you other guys do? The seller was a good guy and very reasonable. I am not at all unhappy with him and he was not at me for giving up. But PP got in the way.

I appreciate the experience you guys have..

Tom

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Um...you do realize that the 1800 and 1300 have different seat pans right?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do, thanks. The x-er that wrote it up described how to modify the seat pan bottom and attach the rear bracket for the rider seat. Since I have some fiverglass experience, I thought I could handle the mod and it was worth the $60 to try it.... you can never have too many projects, right?

But thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ooops. that's fiberglass, not fiverglass. :oops:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
slim shady said:
i've never verified

think there is a $500 limit
There is also a "total transactions amount" limit. Once you hit that, Paypal requires you to become 'Verified' regardless of the amount of the next individual transaction (mine was on something under $50). Once you become 'Verified' you have to be very careful in the transaction process to avoid them (PayPal) drafting your bank account. They make it complicated to continue using your CC as your method of payment. Even if you get to that point you have to go through a screen giving you reasons you should use the 'bank account draft' method for your transaction.

·
Registered
510 Posts
at my bank, checking accounts are free. i set up a checking account to be only used as my paypal account and took the visa card (free) that draws from that account. I keep a small amount in that account and used that card for them to "verify" me. If I want to purchase something, I transfer funds to that account but otherwise keep a small amount there just in case someone is able to gain access through paypal. I have been satisfied with all my paypal transactions but keeping it separate from my other accounts makes me feel safer.

·
Registered
937 Posts
i think i've been using paypal for 3 years now
and never a problem had to change my password a couple of times
i'm almost to my "new" limit though they might force me to verify

·
Registered
611 Posts
VTXPilot,

I have had over 2,500+ transactions using paypal.... never had a problem. As a vendor he should not ask you to pay the CC fee (I believe this is against eBay policy).

If you are going to buy from eBay having a paypal account is really a good idea.

Rick

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I reached the limit thru E-bay & became verified. No problems so far. Pulls off my checking w/debit card & if the money ain't there it won't go thru. If I write a check over the balance the CU will dip into my savings & cover. I didn't like the idea of being verified @ 1st but now I won't mess w/auctions that don't accept Paypal. MO & snail mail just 2 slow & drawn out.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
The verification process is there for your protection. It assures Paypal that you are who you say you are and it cuts down on fraud. Once verified, you have several options as to how you want to pay for a purchase. It's a very simple and safe process and IMHO the best way to transact business over the internet.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
I did like StarsJ and used Arvest Bank at Walmart. I never get charged for going down to $1.00 in that account. I kept it small just in case a hacker got into my paypal but have had the account for over 5 years with no problem. At that time you had be be verified to even start a paypal account as I remember. Now that I'm turning a "certain" age this year, Arvest just told me now I can get free checks and money orders and earn interest on my checking account so it was a plus using them for my paypal auctions.

H

·
0 Posts
We take Paypal if you buy from us. And it does provide a secure and quick way to transfer money. I know that some people are paranoid about their money and their credit cards and thought Paypal would help them feel confident but I think that a few people who use Paypal actually get more paranoid. Almost to the level of black helicopters in the sky.

So I just go with the flow on Paypal and if a guy doesn't want to complete the transaction because he doesn't think my e-mail address looks official enough or wants to know why I didn't transmit the payment request fast enough then there isn't much I can do. And these are usually the same people that want to ship to an address that is different than their Paypal registered address. In Paypal land that is a big no no.

Let me know which seat you wanted. I might have one laying in the shop collecting dust.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hal @ Honda Direct Line said:
We take Paypal if you buy from us. And it does provide a secure and quick way to transfer money. I know that some people are paranoid about their money and their credit cards and thought Paypal would help them feel confident but I think that a few people who use Paypal actually get more paranoid. Almost to the level of black helicopters in the sky.

So I just go with the flow on Paypal and if a guy doesn't want to complete the transaction because he doesn't think my e-mail address looks official enough or wants to know why I didn't transmit the payment request fast enough then there isn't much I can do. And these are usually the same people that want to ship to an address that is different than their Paypal registered address. In Paypal land that is a big no no.

Let me know which seat you wanted. I might have one laying in the shop collecting dust.

HEY, you know about the black helicopters too? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Is that a new saying for " the sky is falling, the sky is falling?"

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
wildabouthorses said:
Is that a new saying for " the sky is falling, the sky is falling?"
Why, No, of course not, shhhhhh, not so loud, they'll hear you. Dang, this chip in my neck is itchin' today! :lol: 8)

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Middleman

I resisted as long as it made me feel like I was not giving into the 'Man'
It started to make more sense after figuring Money Order cost and trips to PO
It does make it easy and quick to pay for items.
Getting 'verified' makes you more trustworthy I think.
Using this new age debit card and instant banking is really looking good to my balancing check book.
If someone sends money to me thru paypal, they take a few%.

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
Well now, I have Been on PayPal for over 4 Years and Never A Problem!! Safe Secure and Very Easy!!!!! And Yes, I'm Verified!!

G

·
0 Posts
I've received and sent well over 100 grand through Paypal. Luckily , I've had no problems but caution is always prudent.
Phil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts