Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a couple of years now, I've been using my IBM T41 laptop to load maps for my old PC IIIr. I had to get a USB adapter to plug into my 9-pin cable. But it worked just fine. I upgraded to a new laptop - a T60 - the other day and now it won't read my Power Commander. I've tried everything. I called PC support and they told me that USB adapters don't work with the application, which is bullshit because I've been using it with my old laptop. I even downloaded the PC IIIr command center, to no avail. I'm at a loss. I don't want to buy a new Power Commander because this one works fine. But I'm paralyzed. Any ideas? I've tried downloading drivers and everything else!!!!!

Frustrated in Northern Virginia

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
check the cables ... i couldn't get mine to recognize the pclll
for ages and it turned out that the usb cable had not snapped
all the way into place ...

second, if you are using xp it has a tendency to turn off usb
ports that have not been used for a while (to save energy)
so try disconnecting a usb unit that works and plug into that
port and see if it helps.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I hooked a freinds to my puter yesterday and it would not see his after re installing and three or four tries i went in and got another cable it saw it on the first try.just a thought

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You send me your T60 and I'll send you my A21p that has a serial port. Voila! Everyone is happy!

If for some reason that doesn't work for you, then I suggest trying out the ThinkPad mailing list. Lots of good folks over there that may be able to help you diagnose the USB-to-serial problem and may have tips for you. You can find out more here: http://stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad

Later,
Rob

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
PC3

I just was told about a problem with some serial to usb adaptors not being compatible with vista.
Was it used with xp before ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, it was Windows 2000. I'm gonna try shelling out $20 for a new adapter and see if that does anything. When you first use it, you have to set it up with a disc. Maybe you can't reprogram the thing. At this point, I'll try anything. Don't want to shell out the cash for a new commander. Know what I mean? Thanks for the input.

LEE

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
It's not the PC-III itself being 'already programmed'. It is either the hardware (the serial-to-USB adapter) or the OS/drivers or both. Since the OS on the new laptop is different than the old one, the first thing I'd do is get the installation manual for the PC-III and see what it says for installation of the software and drivers under the new OS. If you've followed all of that and still have problems or an inability for the PC to detect the PC-III then try the new adapter hardware.

Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.