Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 VTX1800R
Vance & Hines Big Shots
Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger
Big City Thunder Monster Baffles
PCIII USB

Does anyone have a good PCIII map given the configuration above? I found one at bareasschoppers.com that might work, but the mods on that bike included total desmog with G.P. block off plates. Will this be an issue on my bike, which has undergone no desmog modification? I'm a complete newbie, and I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. There's got to be a good map out there somewhere . . . ?

-RailSz

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
You can try any free map you like and use what you feel makes the bike run best. BUT< a free map that was made on another bike may not be the best for your bike. Every engine runs a little different, therfore each map is a little different. Your best option is to find a dyno tuner that uses a "Load dyno" and air/fuel sniffer to read your engines exhaust gasses and make adjustments to your map accordingly

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
2002 VTX1800R
Vance & Hines Big Shots
Kuryakyn Pro-R Hypercharger
Big City Thunder Monster Baffles
PCIII USB

Does anyone have a good PCIII map given the configuration above? I found one at bareasschoppers.com that might work, but the mods on that bike included total desmog with G.P. block off plates. Will this be an issue on my bike, which has undergone no desmog modification? I'm a complete newbie, and I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. There's got to be a good map out there somewhere . . . ?

-RailSz

real translation...........................

I have spent all this money on my bike but I am too cheap to make it run like a dream.

sorry Free is just another four letter word.

it doesn't matter which map you use it still won't be correct but keep trying something will get you close

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
real translation...........................

I have spent all this money on my bike but I am too cheap to make it run like a dream.

sorry Free is just another four letter word.
Actually, the real translation...or the real situation, rather, follows:

"02 vtx1800r, kury hypercharger, big shots, monster baffles, pciii

had all the mods done by dealer. sounded pretty good, although too much decel popping. on a couple of occasions i turned the air/fuel knob on the left side to try and find the best sounding idle. on one of those occasions, at a stoplight, the bike suddenly backfired, and after that it sounded completely different...exhaust tone totally changed to something more like the stock sound. i smelled gasoline and even looked around on the ground trying to see if there was a spill or something. gas tank felt warm, although this could have been just from sitting for so long? when the light turned and i pulled away the bike shounded like ass, and i had to give it tons of gas to move, almost like it couldn't decide if it wanted to accelerate or die. all horsepower/torque was gone and giving it gas felt like i was drowning it. managed to drive the bike about 1.5 miles to the house. noticed just before I shut it off that it idled fine and wasn't going to die like my instincts were telling me.

what the hell? did i do something wrong? shouldn't have messed with air/fuel knob? power commander issue? did i damage the bike driving it home? how do i get the damn thing back to the dealer, or somewhere to have it tuned? did they screw it up or did i? any insight?"

And what's wrong with four letter words?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just try each of the maps on these links that are close to your set-up. Try one for a few days, make some notes on how that map worked out for you, then go on to the next map. When you have tried the ones that you picked out, read your notes and load the map that gave you the results that you were looking for.

BTW... The knob is not an air/fuel adjustment. It is an idle speed adjustment.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
Just try each of the maps on these links that are close to your set-up. Try one for a few days, make some notes on how that map worked out for you, then go on to the next map. When you have tried the ones that you picked out, read your notes and load the map that gave you the results that you were looking for.

BTW... The knob is not an air/fuel adjustment. It is an idle speed adjustment.

Good luck
Correct, if you adjust that too low to get a "Cool" sounding idle, you may have adjusted the idle too low. If you drop the RPMs below 700, the oil pump will not pump enough oil to lube the top of the engine

·
Registered
172 Posts
You're best bet is to get tuned but I have a great custom map for your configuration, the only difference is I have the standard Big Shots baffles. I don't know how different the monsters are. If you want to try it let me know.

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
Again, it is only "Custom" for your engine. When you pass it along to someone else, it now a free map that was made on another bike. Evey engine runs different, and so no 2 "Custom" maps will ever be the same. Even if both bikes have the same airbox and pipes and plugs and run teh same fuel. The maps will be different. You can have 2 engines run down the assembly line, the first engine could be a real torque monster, the second engine could be a real dog. Yes, a free map can get you close to what is needed, but they won;t be perfect or "custom" if all you do is download them off the web. This is why a good tuner is so highly recommended to get the most out of your bike. :thumbup:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Actually, the real translation...or the real situation, rather, follows:

"02 vtx1800r, kury hypercharger, big shots, monster baffles, pciii

had all the mods done by dealer. sounded pretty good, although too much decel popping. on a couple of occasions i turned the air/fuel knob on the left side to try and find the best sounding idle. on one of those occasions, at a stoplight, the bike suddenly backfired, and after that it sounded completely different...exhaust tone totally changed to something more like the stock sound. i smelled gasoline and even looked around on the ground trying to see if there was a spill or something. gas tank felt warm, although this could have been just from sitting for so long? when the light turned and i pulled away the bike shounded like ass, and i had to give it tons of gas to move, almost like it couldn't decide if it wanted to accelerate or die. all horsepower/torque was gone and giving it gas felt like i was drowning it. managed to drive the bike about 1.5 miles to the house. noticed just before I shut it off that it idled fine and wasn't going to die like my instincts were telling me.

what the hell? did i do something wrong? shouldn't have messed with air/fuel knob? power commander issue? did i damage the bike driving it home? how do i get the damn thing back to the dealer, or somewhere to have it tuned? did they screw it up or did i? any insight?"

And what's wrong with four letter words?
That does not sound like its going to be fixed by a map

that sounds more like a fuel regulator or something.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Again, it is only "Custom" for your engine. When you pass it along to someone else, it now a free map that was made on another bike. Evey engine runs different, and so no 2 "Custom" maps will ever be the same. Even if both bikes have the same airbox and pipes and plugs and run teh same fuel. The maps will be different. You can have 2 engines run down the assembly line, the first engine could be a real torque monster, the second engine could be a real dog. Yes, a free map can get you close to what is needed, but they won;t be perfect or "custom" if all you do is download them off the web. This is why a good tuner is so highly recommended to get the most out of your bike. :thumbup:
Couldn't agree with you more Spike as I said right in the beginning. The custom tuning did wonders for my V. But, you never know, throw something up and it might stick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts