Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this feature? I read its supposed to give a shot of fuel like a carb does when the throttle is opened quickly?....if so how does it work and how do you set it up? I have it on my laptop, not sure how to use it

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you do a search for this with "Highnote" as the author, you will come up with a great deal of information. He did a bit of testing of this feature with JohnnyCheese. You'll also find write-ups of this testing on his website.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I loaded it into my PCIII and mine what a difference. I used the settings they had on their web site and seems to work fine. There is no hesitation now.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
3D said:
If you do a search for this with "Highnote" as the author, you will come up with a great deal of information. He did a bit of testing of this feature with JohnnyCheese. You'll also find write-ups of this testing on his website.
Didnt he also say it works best if you have a custom map? I turned mine on (using a tweaked map from DynoJet for my setup), and only thing I really noticed was a decrease in fuel mileage. Maybe after I get a custom map done I'll try it again.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Actually, after fooling with this on the dyno, we've determined that it shouldn't be used on the VTX. It does not work the way you'd think it should. Most definately, if you use the factory suggested settings, your bike will run stinking rich. Don't do it.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Agree with Tapper on this one, I playing around with it for awhile before deciding it doesn't even give you power it says. Waste of time and gas.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can tell a big difference with installed on my PCIII. I am going to a tuning center next Saturday and let them make the adjustments with it or let them take it off. I am not a mechanic, just a rider and I can tell ad differance in take off.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I recently turned my accelerator pump off and had a custom map made. Between the two I got back 10 mpg. I don't know which made the bigger difference, but it runs better now without the accelerator pump then it did before with it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I tried also. At first I though it was doing something but maybe in my own mind. Any ways I have dissabled it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I can tell a diferance but I am running a standard map. When I get mine dynoed next Sunday and a custom map made, mine may be turned off as well.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try a different map. You can download them on Bares web site or on the dyojet home page. You will probably see a difference. Doesn't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm wanting to get one also.. Maybe next week, the tuner does them first come first serve on Saturdays. Right now I'm using a map with similar mods and it's working very well.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Tapper said:
Actually, after fooling with this on the dyno, we've determined that it shouldn't be used on the VTX. It does not work the way you'd think it should. Most definately, if you use the factory suggested settings, your bike will run stinking rich. Don't do it.
Yep, I would think that the only real use for this feature is if you purposely run a leaner map to cheat out some more mpg, but use the AccelPump for more fun when you twist the wick. Personally, I've never even bothered to activate mine.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tapper,
Last we talked, I think you were going to dyno 80%, 8 Revolutions and 5% fuel adder. Please verify these were your settings and describe the A/F readings. Did you make a comparitive run with the Accel pump off?
Maybe I won't even mess with it anymore.

Also, what was the outcome of the sparkplug shootout?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
The accel pump feature of the PC3 is primarily for sportbikes with high revving motors and not a lot of vaccuum. On the VTX if you have a good map and turn the accel pump on it will richen the entire map and potentially screw up a perfectly good map. This isn't just specualtion, this is verified both by looking at maps before and after and on a dyno. :wink:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Bareass172 said:
The accel pump feature of the PC3 is primarily for sportbikes with high revving motors and not a lot of vaccuum. On the VTX if you have a good map and turn the accel pump on it will richen the entire map and potentially screw up a perfectly good map. This isn't just specualtion, this is verified both by looking at maps before and after and on a dyno. :wink:
Not meaning to split hairs with you, because your first sentence says all you need to know about the best use of the accel pump. It won't richen the entire map - only a fraction of the map. Even with the Dynojet suggested settings of 20 revolutions, that's what? - less than half a percent of the map. I totally agree that if you have a well-made map, there's no reason to mess with it.

On the other hand, a good tuner like JCheese could "detune" a bike on the lean side, making it a bit more fuel-conscious and tame with moderate throttle movements, but optimize it to utilize the accel pump when you're really twisting. In other words, take away the amount of fuel from the map that the accel pump adds. Worth it? I doubt it. But as a "what if?", it's got potential.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
3D said:
Bareass172 said:
Not meaning to split hairs with you, because your first sentence says all you need to know about the best use of the accel pump. It won't richen the entire map - only a fraction of the map. Even with the Dynojet suggested settings of 20 revolutions, that's what? - less than half a percent of the map. I totally agree that if you have a well-made map, there's no reason to mess with it.

On the other hand, a good tuner like JCheese could "detune" a bike on the lean side, making it a bit more fuel-conscious and tame with moderate throttle movements, but optimize it to utilize the accel pump when you're really twisting. In other words, take away the amount of fuel from the map that the accel pump adds. Worth it? I doubt it. But as a "what if?", it's got potential.
I wish that JC would chime in on this one, with all his experience he was able to explain to me -exactly- why it's not necessary on these bikes. It was designed, as I said, for sportbikes and I imagine PC just threw it out there as a "bonus" to help sell the unit. It's my understanding from what I've seen that it skews the entire map, not just a small segment of it, but having only worked with it on a limited basis I will defer to your knowledge as it seems you've experimented more with it than I have. :wink:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Bareass172 said:
3D said:
Bareass172 said:

I wish that JC would chime in on this one, with all his experience he was able to explain to me -exactly- why it's not necessary on these bikes. It was designed, as I said, for sportbikes and I imagine PC just threw it out there as a "bonus" to help sell the unit. It's my understanding from what I've seen that it skews the entire map, not just a small segment of it, but having only worked with it on a limited basis I will defer to your knowledge as it seems you've experimented more with it than I have. :wink:
Nah, I haven't really experimented with it at all. I have a perfectly good map from Johnny - I think I was one of the first from the Dallas area to bring my bike to him - long before they came out with the accel pump. Free is free, but I just couldn't see the benefit after Johnny had already optimized my bike. As you said, why "screw" with a perfectly good map.

I'm just throwing out a hypothetical. Building a motorized barstool. if you know what I mean... :wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts