Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought the motorcycle jack from Pep Boys? It is currently $79.99 with a $30.00 rebate making it $49.99. This is a very low price. Before I get one, I would like some info from anyone who already has one. Biggest question: Does it fit under a 1300?. I plan on using it and a Pepsx stand.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a 1300R and the jack would not fit under the bike. So I took it back and bought the sears model. Some say just to put your bike on a 2x4 then put the Pep boys jack under it. But to me that seems too risky. The stand I have read is just fine too. Use both I am going to buy a stand soon myself. On the Pep Boys jack it seems about 1/4 inch too high to fit under the frame.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I highly reccomend the Sears jack.

It's worth it to me to spend a $100 more for a lot of confidence that I'm not going to drop my bike.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Can you say "P.O.S. :twisted:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone. I do understand "You get what you pay for". Looks like a trip to Sears Hardware.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Has anyone bought the motorcycle jack from Pep Boys?
yes, I have one

I would like some info from anyone who already has one.
avoid it at all costs. it has a tendency to tip over. it is not safe, not solid, and some of the metal on mine is bending already after kess than a year of use.

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you in your decision.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought the Pep Boy model. It was too tall to fit and was made like normal cheap junk from China. Probably out of melted down pot metal. Does anyone know where the Sears jack is made?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
froberts said:
I bought the Pep Boy model. It was too tall to fit and was made like normal cheap junk from China. Probably out of melted down pot metal. Does anyone know where the Sears jack is made?
I've got the yellow one from Sears. Think it is made out of Aluminum.
BUT guess what? MADE IN CHINA :roll:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one from Tractor supply that cost 69.00. It appears to be equal to the Sear one that cost the same. It is of box and angle steal construction and does a nice job. When I've had my bike on it the thing seem very sturdy. The trick is getting it lined up to the center of gravity.

ON a side note I went to Sears first and all they had in stock was the 169.oo model in two different stores, but offered to order the other model. Then I tried Tractor supply they carried the equal in stock.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
gildagu said:
I do just fine with the Sears "Red" jack. Some say buy the yellow one but I have had mine for about a year now used it several times for oil changes, getting new tires, and even had my bike on it for about two weeks while I had things powdercoated and painted the engine. I have no complaints with this jack. JMHO

·
Registered
464 Posts
gildagu said:
froberts said:
Is this tha same jack?

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/ite ... egoryName=

No its not,
I have this one, is made by something hydraulics is more compact than the Sears (not aluminum) I wouldn’t think to use it for long time working or to store the bike, even when is study it is narrow, its ok for occasional use, I doubt any pro would use it as regular tool, it don’t fit under the bike while resting on the side stand so you have to pull the bike while you fit the jack under.
Mine is “S” so probably will work better in a “C”.

I got it in northern tools on sale for 49.95 including one year extended service plan.
I adjust my valves and couple of jobs with this one, cheap but good enough for this kind of small jobs.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
roundabout said:
gildagu said:
I do just fine with the Sears "Red" jack. Some say buy the yellow one but I have had mine for about a year now used it several times for oil changes, getting new tires, and even had my bike on it for about two weeks while I had things powdercoated and painted the engine. I have no complaints with this jack. JMHO
Ditto, My Sears red fits my needs just fine, has held the bike up for as long as 3 weeks. Fit under my C while it was holding it straight up, until the 11" progressives, now I'm pretty sure no jack would fit under it without a little help.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
swl2020 said:
froberts said:
I've got the yellow one from Sears. Think it is made out of Aluminum.
BUT guess what? MADE IN CHINA :roll:
What are ya gonna do? If it was made in Japan or the US, it'd cost twice as much for the same product. I don't care where it's made, as long as it works well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sears Red Jack works fine, a 12" 2X6 under the rear wheel helps, just sit on the bike in neutral, get the rear tire on the 2X6, put it in gear, jack the bike up, you can even have the kickstand down with the 2X6 under the tire, doesn't hurt anything. Once on the jack, you can use tie downs to secure the bike to the jack for extra precaution......

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
bugsy72 said:
Sears Red Jack works fine, a 12" 2X6 under the rear wheel helps, just sit on the bike in neutral, get the rear tire on the 2X6, put it in gear, jack the bike up, you can even have the kickstand down with the 2X6 under the tire, doesn't hurt anything. Once on the jack, you can use tie downs to secure the bike to the jack for extra precaution......
I found some scrap 2" x 12" x 12"s, stapled some rubber tool box drawer liner ($1.00 at the dollar store, your choice of color) to the bottom of it, so it dosen't slide on the floor. Couldn't be easier to pull the bike up onto it, then any jack will slide right under it!...Dang, almost a C.R.A.P. mod!!!! 8)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts