Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:lol: :lol:.......sorry, I have no pictures of Dan dancing...yet! :twisted:

My rear fender project is underway. I went down to Dan's shop yesterday to get started, and Dan made a very nice jig (he calls it a "fixture") to hold everything in place. He made that thing before lunch...impressive, to say the least. I have a new-found appreciation for metal fabricating and those that do this sort of work. It makes me want to start purchasing more "toys" and building a shop in the back yard, and then start learning.

Here are some pictures...more will follow as the project rolls along. I have to give credit to Rich (Iwantsnow) for helping Dan and I with providing many details to help us get started...well, to help Dan get started! :D Rich pointed me in the right direction to get the parts I needed to "copy" his design. I did get to tear up a titanium C model fender, though. When it's not the color of your bike, it's always fun! :p

Dan's jig...umm...fixture!







Me slicing and dicing!







Just a picture of the fenders together...if I was doing it, it would end up like this! :lol:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Wow, I'm anxious to see how this turns out. I've been wanting to put a long tire hugging fender on my C, but noone around here to help and no tools or skills to work with so, I'll just be admiring yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
Very cool looking. I haven't a clue at to what I'm looking at other than it involves a tire and a fender, and making something non-stock, which is always cool in some manner. :)

So, I guess I won't be asking "where can I get one" real soon... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,958 Posts
SPyKER said:
Very cool looking. I haven't a clue at to what I'm looking at other than it involves a tire and a fender, and making something non-stock, which is always cool in some manner. :)

So, I guess I won't be asking "where can I get one" real soon... :D

this is what the "hoped for" end result should be, or close to it.
Iwantsnow did a fantastic job on his, here is a pic of his bike.



and the C-model fender added to the "tail dragger"


all credit goes to Iwantsnow for this project.


sorry, i have no pics of the Crazy Lady that walks into the shop now and then, I think Jason was trying to hit on her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,399 Posts
pepsX said:
this is what the "hoped for" end result should be, or close to it.
Iwantsnow did a fantastic job on his, here is a pic of his bike.



and the C-model fender added to the "tail dragger"


all credit goes to Iwantsnow for this project.


sorry, i have no pics of the Crazy Lady that walks into the shop now and then, I think Jason was trying to hit on her.
Ok, so when can I get one? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, hot off the press (the camera on my phone...crappy resolution)...this freakin' rocks!!! I'll tell you what...working with Dan is cool! No wonder it only took him a day and a half to get to where we are now! The guy knows his stuff!

Steve...eat your heart out! :p







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
Bout time you stepped up to a better color. That fender is a BIG improvement over the rest of those tins :wink: I'm sure Dan and Steve can get some of that fast black for you :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bigdog 1 said:
Bout time you stepped up to a better color. That fender is a BIG improvement over the rest of those tins :wink: I'm sure Dan and Steve can get some of that fast black for you :lol:
So when are you getting your bike painted? 'Cause I know it ain't staying silver! :D Are you putting yourself on the waiting list for the new fender?? :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
MR VTX said:
[quote="Bigdog 1":26mlwmte]Bout time you stepped up to a better color. That fender is a BIG improvement over the rest of those tins :wink: I'm sure Dan and Steve can get some of that fast black for you :lol:
So when are you getting your bike painted? 'Cause I know it ain't staying silver! :D Are you putting yourself on the waiting list for the new fender?? :lol:[/quote:26mlwmte]It just may stay stock except for the seat, pipes and a few chrome pieces that I took off the BamaX. The silver is trying to grow on me and for sure it's a lot easier to keep clean besides I had my first S.S. check deposited today and with my retirement date set for the 19th of Dec I can't make but $1130 a month so my present job's hours have been cut back and I'm just coasting until then. I have lined up some part time at the Honda dealer after the first of the year in the service dept. Kind of ironic about that after many times saying they would never touch my bike I'm going to be part of the place I would dare not send my bike. The fender really looks good but with all the chrome on that bike a black paint job would be killer for sure. And don't forget, all that practice of keeping Lori's bike detailed should make keeping the black widow clean a snap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bigdog 1 said:
It just may stay stock except for the seat, pipes and a few chrome pieces that I took off the BamaX. The silver is trying to grow on me and for sure it's a lot easier to keep clean besides I had my first S.S. check deposited today and with my retirement date set for the 19th of Dec I can't make but $1130 a month so my present job's hours have been cut back and I'm just coasting until then. I have lined up some part time at the Honda dealer after the first of the year in the service dept. Kind of ironic about that after many times saying they would never touch my bike I'm going to be part of the place I would dare not send my bike. The fender really looks good but with all the chrome on that bike a black paint job would be killer for sure. And don't forget, all that practice of keeping Lori's bike detailed should make keeping the black widow clean a snap.
Man, SS sucks!! That's all you're getting a month???

That's cool about the Honda gig...you can be the "shining star" that they need...whip their @$$ into shape. :lol:

As for getting the bike painted black...well, you know the rest of that story!! :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
MR VTX said:
[quote="Bigdog 1":1mu95rqj]It just may stay stock except for the seat, pipes and a few chrome pieces that I took off the BamaX. The silver is trying to grow on me and for sure it's a lot easier to keep clean besides I had my first S.S. check deposited today and with my retirement date set for the 19th of Dec I can't make but $1130 a month so my present job's hours have been cut back and I'm just coasting until then. I have lined up some part time at the Honda dealer after the first of the year in the service dept. Kind of ironic about that after many times saying they would never touch my bike I'm going to be part of the place I would dare not send my bike. The fender really looks good but with all the chrome on that bike a black paint job would be killer for sure. And don't forget, all that practice of keeping Lori's bike detailed should make keeping the black widow clean a snap.
Man, SS sucks!! That's all you're getting a month???

That's cool about the Honda gig...you can be the "shining star" that they need...whip their @$$ into shape. :lol:

As for getting the bike painted black...well, you know the rest of that story!! :wink:[/quote:1mu95rqj]The mortgage on the house that we built almost 10 years ago will be paid off in Jan and other than utilities that's all the bills we have. The wife is 10 years younger than me and has a high paying job so I will be a kept man :D :D :D
 
1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Top