Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 retro spoke and stock pipes with 16,000 miles...Friend has an 04 Neo cast wheels and stock pipes with 1,500 miles.
The neo wieghs more stock but, i have accessories that add up so both bikes weigh in pretty close.
My friend is 200lbs, I am 170lbs (this may be the answer). Here's the deal: My 02 will outrun his neo in every scenario and every gear. Even did the roll on in 5th gear at 70mph and mine pulled away from his, significantly.
So he gets cobra pipes and a pcIII installed. He said it runs a whole lot better so, we lined'em up. Same result only I didn't pull him as much as before (in fact i barely pulled from him) but, nonetheless - pulled him. Could this be due to his having such low miles and not completely broke -in yet? The differences are:
The 30lb weight difference (i'm lighter).
I've done the ground fix and he hasn't.
I run mobil 1 red cap and he's running the honda oil Hp4.
I run NGK plugs and he's still running stock plugs whatever they are.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
To break it down, and there's no "real" way to compare since 2 identical VTX's are going to make different #'s...

-30 pounds is a big difference
-Cobra pipes in my past experience lose power not gain it
-his PC3 may not be mapped properly
-ground fix is negligible IMO, important to do but on 2 new bikes not a noticable difference
-synthetic will gain you a miniscule amount of power over dino oil (IMHO)
-his stock plugs are likely a little fouled since he's still in the break-in period

Those are only my thoughts, as I said even 2 identical stock X's will put up different #'s. :wink:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input as always,,,pretty much what i thought. Guess I got a "Tuesday" bike.
Oh, i forgot to mention the all important color difference! Mine is candy red and his silver. DOH!! :)

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Re: gearing difference

dhandshy said:
there is a gearing difference between spoke and cast wheel Retros. the spoke rim is a 15" and the cast is 16". I have suspected for some time that there was a noticable difference in performance between the two. don in st louis
No there isn't, the rims are different sizes but the tires sidewall height compensates for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts