Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
2004 VTX1300S converted to R
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning/planned a trip to St John's Newfoundland with a scheduled departure of May 28th. Stopping in Huntsville Alabama to meet/visit a friend and to install new tires and an oil change. Then to Louisville, Kentucky to attend a wedding for a niece. The the trip starts, June 6/7. I am meeting my friend from Huntsville, somewhere, then we work our way to North Sydney Nova Scotia to catch the ferry to Port aux Basques. Ride Newfoundland for 7 days and return to North Sydney from Argentia Newfoundland. From there we are heading west, route to be determined. We will split up somewhere and I will probably head to North Dakota to visit family. Route back to Phoenix in undetermined. St. John's is about 500 miles farther from Phoenix then Fairbanks Alaska and currently is 5 hours ahead of Phoenix. I expect this trip to be about 10,000 plus miles.

Bike has been prepped and ready to go since I came home from a trip last summer. I will try to post a few pictures here, but no promises.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Planning/planned a trip to St John's Newfoundland with a scheduled departure of May 28th. Stopping in Huntsville Alabama to meet/visit a friend and to install new tires and an oil change. Then to Louisville, Kentucky to attend a wedding for a niece. The the trip starts, June 6/7. I am meeting my friend from Huntsville, somewhere, then we work our way to North Sydney Nova Scotia to catch the ferry to Port aux Basques. Ride Newfoundland for 7 days and return to Port aux Basques from Argentia Newfoundland. From there we are heading west, route to be determined. We will split up somewhere and I will probably head to North Dakota to visit family. Route back to Phoenix in undetermined. St. John's is about 500 miles farther from Phoenix then Fairbanks Alaska and currently is 5 hours ahead of Phoenix. I expect this trip to be about 10,000 plus miles.

Bike has been prepped and ready to go since I came home from a trip last summer. I will try to post a few pictures here, but no promises.
I offer maybe a couple tips for your enjoyment. Wife and I were there in 2018. Before all restrictions and lockdowns. We probably wouldn't do it now. The summer up there is considered July, Aug., Sept. We were there from July 17 to 29, doing 4-500 mi. per day in a whirlwind auto tour. Wife had to be home for Dr. appointments or we would have stayed another 3-5 days. We made it as far as Gander before turning back. Unless the departure times have changed, the ferry to Port-aux-Basque leaves around NOON, and gets there close to sundown. Plan your ride accordingly. Other than the Trans-Canada, roads can be a challenge esp. along the coastal areas. Heavily- Patched cowpaths. With the native wildlife you do not want to be riding before dawn or after dusk. We are talking 1500 lb. MOOSE, not a 100 lb. doe. The time change is an hr. + 1/2 earlier than Eastern time. We stayed a night up, and a night back, in Calais, Me. on the border, @ a B & B. Then a night in Antigonish NS, the next night in N. Sydney. Then the ferry ride, 5-6 hrs. and after de-boarding, drove to Deer lodge for the next 2 nights. After the first nt., we rode up the west coast to Lans-aux-Meadows, the first Viking encampment in N. America. Then back to Deer Lodge. Next day, it was to Glovers Harbor to see the 55' giant squid monument? and then to Twillingate on the N coast for a 'iceberg' boat ride. Too late in the season to catch a berg though. Then spent the night in Gander, next day back to Port-aux-Basque, next day the ferry and back to Antigonish, then the next day back to the US. As mentioned we would have loved an extra few days to explore Terre Nova Park, the lighthouses, and St. John itself. Unfortunately with wife's Parkinsons, probably won't happen again. Fuel stops aren't as available as here in the states, so plan accordingly. Same for restaurants & fast food stops. In July we had a couple days where the temps were in the 70's, and Tshirts & shorts, but 3 weeks before we were there, the Weather Channel showed the last day of school in Gander, on June 29, there was 4-5 inches of SNOW on the ground! 3 weeks later the 70's. Plan your wardrobe as well. Feel free to ask anything else, either here or private conv. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Planning/planned a trip to St John's Newfoundland with a scheduled departure of May 28th. Stopping in Huntsville Alabama to meet/visit a friend and to install new tires and an oil change. Then to Louisville, Kentucky to attend a wedding for a niece. The the trip starts, June 6/7. I am meeting my friend from Huntsville, somewhere, then we work our way to North Sydney Nova Scotia to catch the ferry to Port aux Basques. Ride Newfoundland for 7 days and return to Port aux Basques from Argentia Newfoundland. From there we are heading west, route to be determined. We will split up somewhere and I will probably head to North Dakota to visit family. Route back to Phoenix in undetermined. St. John's is about 500 miles farther from Phoenix then Fairbanks Alaska and currently is 5 hours ahead of Phoenix. I expect this trip to be about 10,000 plus miles.

My spouse and I did Newfoundland from Texas in July of 2018. I highly recommend including a detour to the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec, as well as the world famous Cabot Trail and historic Louisbourg in Cape Breton, NS. I recommend Highway 4 as the most direct scenic route to North Sydney and the ferry (upgrade to a cabin, they're cheap) to Port aux Basques. Also, consider stopping at the resort at the Marble Mountain Resort near Steady Brook to experience the second highest zip line in North America. Also, take note that the T'Railway begins in Port aux Basques right next to the railway museum.

I'll second Ranger's moose advice and add vicious black biting flies and the biggest mosquitos this side of a Florida swamp. See our CanAmerica Tour 2018 site for video of a Newfoundland camper\moose wreck we encountered.

Home | Cabot Trail Biker

Motorcycle Riding the Gaspé Peninsula | Québec maritime Blog

Zip Line Tours | Marble Zip Tours

Newfoundland T'Railways - Home

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
VTXer, wow, you are doing my aborted plan.

Twice I planned to ride from Dallas to Newfoundland on VTX1300R. The second time covid killed it. Some of you have read the following story.

The first trip I planned I even had the fuel stops planned, probable camp sites, reservations on the Port aux Basques ferry with a cabin. My return would be on the ferry on the other side of the island after hopping over to Labrador on another ferry reservation, with the return to Newfoundland a ride to the Viking archeological site. I would ride across Newfoundland, see tour around the east side before returning to Sidney.

All went well the first three days aside from rain. I did a Saddle Sore 1000 to Lexington, VA for a hotel. I visited a friend in Frederickton before completing a Bun Burner 1500 to Scranton.

The third day I made it to Bangor, ME. I went up to Madawaska, Fort Kent, and northern end of US 1. After riding across the longest covered bridge it was New Brunswick for another night in a hotel at Moncton.

I was fired up and ready for the Cabot Trail in NS. The fourth day the rain was intense. I had visions of a truck or bus not seeing me and I be a squashed bug on the road. I wanted to make Sidney. I finally gave up at The Cove Motel and Restaurant in Frankville, NS which appeared through the rain. I was praying for a place, any place, to stay that late afternoon. It is an excellent place before you get to Canso Causway to Port Hastings.

I reserved the cabin for two nights. Once again all that camping gear sitting on my motorcycle. The food was great and the cabin was cozy. The rain stopped and I visited with a lady school teacher from Grand Prairie, Alberta. Great conversation. She was very interested in motorcycle travel.

The next day was beautiful and perfect motorcycle weather. I left most of my gear scattered in the cabin and rode off to enjoy the Cabot Trail. All went well until my last scenic pull out which was to be my last picture on the Cabot before returning to the Cabin.

Yep, it was my last picture of the entire trip. As I was stopping I hit a pot hole that I did not see, too busy looking at the scenery. The VTX fell on my leg and broke it. The X was not hurt. I was pissed, four days into my three week vacation and now a broken leg. It never did hurt until after surgery.

The people up there are fantastic. A fellow by the name of George who lived nearby took my motorcycle to his place for safe keeping until I could get it shipped home. The hospital staff were excellent as was the surgeon. I have not had any better care in the USA. My medical insurance battle was another story.

I have Med Jet so my motorcycle was covered for shipment. I could have been evacuated home but I chose to have the surgery up there. George drove the hour one way to get all of my stuff from my cabin then he shipped it home for me. All he wanted was money for gasoline. I gave him $100 extra for his trouble. We are still friends and talk from time to time.

The hospital helped me book a flight home (3 flights actually). After discharge (5 days) I took a cab to a hotel for 3 days, no flights home. I bought diapers, water, and crutches before getting to the airport. I wasn't about to try to go to the restroom on the plane with a broken leg. It was 12 hours once I left the hotel until I used the bathroom again at DFW airport. The diaper was still dry.

I have two medical insurance plans. I asked if I was covered in Canada. They said yes. What they did not say is I had to pay out of pocket and ask for reimbursement. Sure, reimbursement, I knew who was the loser there. Since I had two insurances Canada did not ask for any money up front. Long story shortened, after nine months of phone calls to insurances and phone calls to and from Canada my insurances finally paid directly to them.

So some serious advice, take out medical insurance that pays directly to the foreign medical care facility. Small stuff is not a problem but a hospital trip or emergency room visit plus ambulance can get costly.

I am still working on another plan to get to Newfoundland/Labrador. It is the only province or territory that has roads my VTX has not been to. It may be on a GS motorcycle via the Trans Labrador highway or closer to my aborted plan

·
Registered
165 Posts
e Trans Labrador highway or closer to my aborted
Water resources World Map Line Water

Per Daniel Ross at Cabot trail Biker, the last 80 kilometer gravel section of Highway 510 (approximately 80k Southeast of Goose Bay\Happy valley) is scheduled to be paved by this summer. This will make the 2900+ mile Quebec\Nova Scotia\Newfoundland\Labrador Loop entirely paved with asphalt and easily navigable by virtually any bike. Note that gas and services are very limited in parts of Labrador. For instance, there is no gas or other services from Port Hope Simpson to Happy Valley\Goose Bay (405km/252mi).

I'd advise you to contact Daniel (and by proxy, his extensive network of friends and family) for the latest in road conditions and touring recommendations.

Daniel Ross
1(902)870-4630 (talk/text)
www.cabottrailbiker.com
[email protected]

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The time change is an hr. + 1/2 earlier than Eastern time.
WTH, I thought Newfoundland was +1 hr from Eastern Time. 4.5 hours ahead of Phoenix. (Arizona does not change time)
Thanks for the info.

Then the ferry ride, 5-6 hrs.
To Newfoundland we are taking the noonish departure from North Sydney to Port aux Basques. Will probably find a motel to near in Port aux Basques.
On the way back we are leaving from Argentia to North Sydney. We have a room in both directions. the Argentia to North Sydney is 16 hours so a room will be nice.
I got a room on the North Sydney to Port Aux Basques because a room was only $20CA more then reserved seating in a secure area.

In July we had a couple days where the temps were in the 70's, and Tshirts & shorts, but 3 weeks before we were there, the Weather Channel showed the last day of school in Gander, on June 29, there was 4-5 inches of SNOW on the ground! 3 weeks later the 70's.
Weather will be challenging. Plenty hot when leaving Phoenix. I have emailed a guy in Newfoundland, https://www.youtube.com/c/OldGuyonaBike/videos
He told me it can been chilly in June. I will probably have two jackets with me. One mesh the other warm. I carried two jackets with me last year.

I was at the Grand Canyon in late April, 2018. I was getting snowed on. I stayed at a friends house south east of Flagstaff and it was 23 degrees in the morning and the
bike was covered in frost.

Tire Land vehicle Sky Wheel Cloud
Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So some serious advice, take out medical insurance that pays directly to the foreign medical care facility. Small stuff is not a problem but a hospital trip or emergency room visit plus ambulance can get costly.
Leroys73
I had read you posts about your unlucky aborted adventure in Newfoundland.
I am looking at Med Jet now.
We don't plan on any long days, ie 500 miles. I might do some long days (400+) to get to Huntsville Alabama but havr a week scheduled for the Phoenix, to Huntsville part of the trip.
We will have 7.5 riding days on Newfoundland so we do not have long days when we are on the island.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
WTH, I thought Newfoundland it was +1 hr from Eastern Time. 4.5 hours ahead of Phoenix. (Arizona does not change time)
Thanks for the info.

To Newfoundland we are taking the noonish departure from North Sydney to Port aux Basques. Will probably find a motel to near in Port aux Basques.
On the way back we are leaving from Argentia to North Sydney. We have a room in both directions. the Argentia to North Sydney is 16 hours so a room will be nice.
I got a room on the North Sydney to Port Aux Basques because a room was only $20CA more then reserved seating in a secure area.

Weather will be challenging. Plenty hot when leaving Phoenix. I have emailed a guy in Newfoundland, https://www.youtube.com/c/OldGuyonaBike/videos
He told me it can been chilly in June. I will probably have two jackets with me. One mesh the other warm. I carried two jackets with me last year.

I was at the Grand Canyon in late April, 2018. I was getting snowed on. I stayed at a friends house south east of Flagstaff and it was 23 degrees in the morning and the
bike was covered in frost.

View attachment 203675 View attachment 203676
As soon as the ferry pulled out of the dock, the Captain announced the info about the time shifting 1/2 hr. earlier. Cabot is very cool, one of the most photographed areas anywhere. We did that by car in 2002. Don't know if you might be interested, but just north of the Port Hastings causeway, not far off the 105, is the first single malt whiskey distillery in N.A. We also spent a night in a motel in Dingwall on the N coast. The next day I played golf at the #1 rated public course in Canada (at that time), Highland Links @ Ingonish. On our most recent trip, we stayed at a pretty nice motel very near the dock. It sat up on a hill within walking distance of a small railroad museum, and there is a big artifact in the front of the museum called an Astrolabe. It is a Viking artifact that was used in navigating the ocean. Only 1 of 2 known to still exist in the world. They have a tradition up there called "Screech". I urge you to look it up. It involves a brief recitation of a local saying, downing a shot of local rum. You have to make arrangements with one of the locals, at a local pub, but after its completion you become an 'honorary local member'. BTW, if you see bottles of rum with the Screech label, more often than not it's just re-labeled Jamaican rum. ****EDIT I should have said the motel, museum, artifact is in Port-aux-Basque. Where you exit the boat, it is to the right. ****EDIT 2: I changed autoclave to Astrolabe. Guess I've been watching too many medical shows with the wife, lol.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Leroys73
I had read you posts about your unlucky aborted adventure in Newfoundland.
I am looking at Med Jet now.
We don't plan on any long days, ie 500 miles. I might do some long days (400+) to get to Huntsville Alabama but havr a week scheduled for the Phoenix, to Huntsville part of the trip.
We will have 7.5 riding days on Newfoundland so we do not have long days when we are on the island.
I editted my last post due to a brain fart. Called the Astrolabe an autoclave. Sr. moment. Sorry.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Peggy's Cove and Hopewell Rock are other places worth seeing in the area.
And obviously, the Bay of Fundy tide rise/ fall. 30 feet. Really cool watching the river "run backwards" with the incoming tides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I may suggest, if you're going thru Huntsville, AL, and you have the time, be sure to take a few hours to tour Barber Motorsports (Barber Motorsports Museum | Largest Motorcycle Collection) near there in Leeds (closer to B'ham if you're coming from the south). It will be a highlight of your trip.
The Guntersville Lake area has some nice riding and a wonderful lodge, if you have time. It's about one hour east of Huntsville.
Be safe,

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
...also along the Cabot Trail, Meat Cove (beware a 17 mile gravel road) and of course, the stunning view at Skyline Trail.
Meat Cove...What is most ridiculous about my "aborted" Newfoundland trip as a result of my VTX falling over thus breaking my leg is that I had just ridden up to Meat Cove on the "nice" trail. Then at next to zero mph at the scenic overlook near Wreck Cove, very fitting for me, my broken leg occurred. Meat Cove is beautiful. .

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
165 Posts
Day 1 route:

Day 1 5/22/33
Stayed at friends in Nutrioso The only picture I have is the backyard from their deck. I was chilly when I got up the next morning. Nutrioso is at 8000 feet.
Just curious, did you ride Hwy 87\260 or Hwy 60? And a heads up in case you were going to stop by the Very Large Array. The entire site is closed.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Day 2
Day 2 5/23/23

Not to much to see in New Mexico. I think because I have been there. I refer to New Mexico at the brown state. A long day to get through New Mexico.
I stayed in Brownfield Texas. That night there was a large tornado in Morton TX, 50 miles to the northwest of Brownfield. The lady at the motel asked if I waned a garage because it was going to rain, I say sure. I left m y phone charger and cable in the motel. Thanks goodness for Amazon.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just curious, did you ride Hwy 87\260 or Hwy 60? And a heads up in case you were going to stop by the Very Large Array. The entire site is closed.
Rode 87, 260, 60 to get to Springerville AZ. Been to the VLA several times. I don’t not look if there was a sign at the highway entrance saying it was closed or open.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Day 3

Roads were mostly wet all the way from Brownfield TX to Mineral Wells TX but I never rode in anything but a very like sprinkle that lasted for at most 5 minutes. I planned on camping at Mineral Well State Park near Mineral Wells TX but heavy rain was forecast to start around 4PM I arrived arrived at 3PM. I nixed camping for a motel and am glad I did. Promptly at 4PM it started to rain.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 169 Posts