Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Day 4

Took a round about way around Dallas/Fort Worth. I did not want to ride through town and interstate. Nice ride and the only eventful thing to happen today is I did not leave (lose) anything and I received my first Social Security check. The check only took 6 1/2 weeks and several calls to the SSA offices. The website said it would only take 2 to 4 weeks. But for some reason my application languished in government black hole. The third time I called the local SSA office and my application was pushed forward and I had a check in about 5 days. The local office could tell me way it was stock in the regional office in Denver. I ended up in Atlanta TX because I have not yet ridden my bike in Arkansas and wanted to check off state I have not ridden in.

The picture is the court house in Granbury, TX.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Day 4

Took a round about way around Dallas/Fort Worth. I did not want to ride through town and interstate. Nice ride and the only eventful thing to happen today is I did not leave (lose) anything and I received my first Social Security check. The check only took 6 1/2 weeks and several calls to the SSA offices. The website said it would only take 2 to 4 weeks. But for some reason my application languished in government black hole. The third time I called the local SSA office and my application was pushed forward and I had a check in about 5 days. The local office could tell me way it was stock in the regional office in Denver. I ended up in Atlanta TX because I have not yet ridden my bike in Arkansas and wanted to check off state I have not ridden in.

The picture is the court house in Granbury, TX.
Continued safe riding, friend.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Day 3

Roads were mostly wet all the way from Brownfield TX to Mineral Wells TX but I never rode in anything but a very like sprinkle that lasted for at most 5 minutes. I planned on camping at Mineral Well State Park near Mineral Wells TX but heavy rain was forecast to start around 4PM I arrived arrived at 3PM. I nixed camping for a motel and am glad I did. Promptly at 4PM it started to rain.
Minerals Wells and the Baker Hotel. You were just down the road from me. Hope you choose to ride a section of Hwy 82 (the Smokey and the Bandit route) heading East from Texarkana.

Looks exciting so far. Stay safe and happy cycling.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hope you choose to ride a section of Hwy 82 (the Smokey and the Bandit route) heading East from Texarkana.
Last year October we took US 82 starting in Alamogordo New Mexico (start of US 82) all the way to just a few miles north of Montgomery Alabama. In Montgomery we drove north east to LaGrange Georgia for the MS150 bicycle ride. Yes I said bicycle.
I didn't know about the Somkey and the Bandit route.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Day 5 5/26/2022
Forgot to turn on my Ride GPS app so recreated my route with google maps. Got Arkansas and started in a southern direction to pick up Florida. Camped at Perry Lake State Park. A very quiet place. I think only 13 camping spots of which only 6 were used and 3 of the used spots the people were not there, just there campers which I think they leave there on a semi-permanent basis.

Atlanta to 99-19 Lake Perry Rd

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Day 5 5/26/2022
Forgot to turn on my Ride GPS app so recreated my route with google maps. Got Arkansas and started in a southern direction to pick up Florida. Camped at Perry Lake State Park. A very quiet place. I think only 13 camping spots of which only 6 were used and 3 of the used spots the people were not there, just there campers which I think they leave there on a semi-permanent basis.

Atlanta to 99-19 Lake Perry Rd
Thanks for photos. Who makes your blue drybag?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanks for photos. Who makes your blue drybag?
I bought it from Sierra Trading post back in 2013. It has quite a few trips under its belt has has hell up well. I really stuff it full of the lighter soft stuff. I have two riding jackets with me, one warm one not warm all. So there is always one jacket stuffed in the blue bag. My rain/warm riding pants, pair of shoes, bike cover and a shave kit. I pack it, lay lay on top of it to get most of the air out of it and roll it up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Day 6 5/27/22
Day 6 5/27/22

Checked Florida. I took the ferry across Mobile Harbor, about a 30 minute ride. $6USD for the bike and $7USD for me. The $7USD for me is/was good for all day if yhou wanted to make a return trip. The Ferry departed at 0930 and I arrived at 0922. There is a booth you drive up to, to pay. There was one car in front of me and to save some time I turned off the bike and walked up to the window. I asked if I was going to make this ferry and booth attendant said no problem. When I was getting back on the bike the attendant told me to not get in line but to pull around and get in front of the line. I asked her if someone at the start of the line would be expecting me, she said yes. In fact she called ahead on the radio and then sent me to the front of the line. The last cars were just getting off the ferry and I may have waited 2 minutes, perfect timing. I was the first one on the ferry and the last one off. Getting off last is not a problem as the ferry unloads in less than 10 minutes. Earlier I debated on heading into Gulf Shores because of the start of the Memorial Day weekend. I thought I was there early enough but the traffic heading north on AL59 was bad but the south bound traffic was worse. When I turned east on US98 traffic was light and light the rest of the day Getting into Florida I had to take a detour. Where I was going to cross into Florida (small county road) a bridge was under water.

(edited) Forgot to add the welcome to Florida sign. Pay no mind of the can of shaving cream. That is another story for another time.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Day 6 5/27/22
Day 6 5/27/22

Checked Florida. I took the ferry across Mobile Harbor, about a 30 minute ride. $6USD for the bike and $7USD for me. The $7USD for me is/was good for all day if I wanted to make a return trip. The Ferry departed at 0930 and I arrived at 0922. There is a booth you drive up to, to pay. There was one car in front of me and to save some time I turned off the bike and walked up to the window. I asked if I was going to make this ferry and booth attendant said no problem. When I was getting back on the bike the attendant told me to not get in line but to pull around and get in front of the line. I asked her if someone at the start of the line would be expecting me, she said yes. In fact she called ahead on the radio and then sent me to the front of the line. The last cars were just getting off the ferry and I may have waited 2 minutes, perfect timing. I was the first one on the ferry and the last one off. Getting off last is not a problem as the ferry unloads in less than 10 minutes. Earlier I debated on heading into Gulf Shores because of the start of the Memorial Day weekend. I thought I was there early enough but the traffic heading north on AL59 was bad but the south bound traffic was worse. When I turned east on US98 traffic was light and light the rest of the day Getting into Florida I had to take a detour. Where I was going to cross into Florida (small county road) a bridge was under water.
Keep the reports & pix coming! All us people staying in Porchville, Everywhere, enjoy living vicariously through those like you.

·
Registered
12,100 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Day 7 5/28/23

Nice easy ride from Grove Hill Alabama to Huntsville. I left Grove Hill about 0545 wearing my summer jacket when I was about 40 miles south of Tuscaloosa the temps seemed to drop and I was freezing. I stopped in Tuscaloosa at a Waffle House for a big breakfast and some coffee. I have tires and oil and filter waiting for me at my buddies place in Huntsville. Having a set of tires waiting is a good thing. I was looking at the tires and sure enough I saw what I thought was a nail but turned out to be a wood screw. Two days in a row with perfect timing, first the ferry and then a new set of tires. I was only a mile away from the Alabama Crimson Tide football stadium so rode over there to take a picture. My wife an I were in Tuscaloosa last October 2021 and we talked our way into the stadium to have a look and to take a picture (albeit not a good picture but is included). The picture with the marble floor is the foundation front office (big money donors)

Roll Tide
PS. I am not really a Tide fan. Being a graduate of Arizona Sate I am a Sun Devil fan.

Edit: Forgot to add a picture of "ow that screw in the tire".

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Day 8 6/3/22

Spent a few days in Huntsville with good friends. Cycle Gear changed the tires, I changed the oil and filter. I have a niece getting married in Louisville Kentucky. My wife flew in from Phoenix. Nice short ride on back roads with only about 40 miles on interstate to get to Louisville.

21 - 40 of 108 Posts