Honda VTX Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Day 15 6/13/22
Excellent breakfast at the Evergreen Inn.

Antigonish to North Sydney, 294 miles. Breakfast was excellent. Poached or boiled eggs, but what did it for me was the home made scones. Not bacon, ham or sausage on the menu but what they had was good. We even talked about staying there on the way back. We rode the Cabot Trail today, clockwise. The first section from Nyanza to Margaree Harbor was OK but I did not think scenic. The road was pretty rough in places and will have to get used to bad roads in Newfoundland. I hit one hole where I bottomed out the rear suspension and stopped just to have a look at the rear tire. Along the coast the roads were better and the views better. Crossing over to the other side of the island was uneventful and the views picked up when we reach the coast. We unexpectedly came upon another ferry crossing. The ferry was of similar design and the crossing was about 5 minutes, very short. That makes 4 ferry crossing on this trip. We had a little difficult find a motel but did fine one. We did not ride in any rain thought the forecast was rain starting about noon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
When I was in high school a long time ago. Back when making a long distance was for an emergency. When I would leave my grandma's on the bike (1974 CB360) and when I arrived home I would make a person to person call to myself. My grandma would acted all surprised and say "oh you just missed him, he lift on his motorcycle". I would say I would try later and my grandma would know that I made it home safe.
HA HA HA . the grandfather did that all the time in the 60's there are so many beautiful open spaces in north america. those 360's were great bikes. me and my "little woman" look at the ones at bike shows and laugh "did we really fit on that together"?
nice write up and great pictures sir. thanks for posting and be safe.

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
I was on level 7 of the ferry and outside most of the time. But I had cell phone coverage the entire crossing on the ferry today. Phone is an apple 13 mini.
Haha, mine is a Kyocera flip phone.

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Day 15 6/13/22
Excellent breakfast as the Evergreen Inn.

Antigonish to North Sydney, 294 miles. Breakfast was excellent. Poached or boiled eggs, but what did it for me was the home made scones. Not bacon, ham or sausage on the menu but what they had was good. We even talked about staying there on the way back. We rode the Cabot Trail today, clockwise. The first section from Nyanza to Margaree Harbor was OK but I did not think scenic. The road was pretty rough in places and will have to get used to bad roads in Newfoundland. I hit one hole where I bottomed out the rear suspension and stopped just to have a look at the rear tire. Along the coast the roads were better and the views better. Crossing over to the other side of the island was uneventful and the views picked up when we reach the coast. We unexpectedly came upon another ferry crossing. The ferry was of similar design and the crossing was about 5 minutes, very short. That makes 4 ferry crossing on this trip. We had a little difficult find a motel but did fine one. We did not ride in any rain thought the forecast was rain starting about noon.
We liked Antigonish, but your motel isn't where we stayed. We were in the 'downtown' area, yours looks like the outskirts, more open area. The one we stayed in N. Sydney, was maybe a mile or so west of the ferry, a pretty big motel, with separate cottages for seasonal workers. Yes the roads other than the Trans-Canada can be rough at times. Notice how they have their utility poles all above ground with rock-filled boxes at the bases, and all the logging trees piled alongside the roads for pickup.

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Looks like y'all are now having some good weather for a change, good to see.
You seem fully bundled up in your gear. How cold is it on the ferries? We have 106F here almost every day and I fail to remember what cold feels like. LOL
Also, why did the ferry folks park you in the middle of the car lane instead of side-by-side? Y'all are parked on the slippery oil trail.

·
Registered
138 Posts
We liked Antigonish, but your motel isn't where we stayed. We were in the 'downtown' area, yours looks like the outskirts, more open area. The one we stayed in N. Sydney, was maybe a mile or so west of the ferry, a pretty big motel, with separate cottages for seasonal workers. Yes the roads other than the Trans-Canada can be rough at times. Notice how they have their utility poles all above ground with rock-filled boxes at the bases, and all the logging trees piled alongside the roads for pickup.
I see by your route that you rode right past the famous Lick-A-Chick Restaurant. Did you by chance stop in and get a T-shirt?

Fried Chicken Little Bras d’Or | Home | A & K Lick-A-Chick

Sleeve Grey Font T-shirt Active shirt

·
Registered
12,100 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
You caught an iceberg, nice. You're just down the road from L'anse aux Meadows and Norstead. The Viking village recreation is well worth a look. You might want to cruise over to Goose Cove. At the end of the road at the village of Goose Cove is a short easy trail that leads up to the top of the bluffs. The view is stunning and no one is ever there. I'm sure you've heard all about the moose warnings from the Newfies. We encountered them on the roads a half dozen times.
Water Sky Natural landscape Cloud Grass

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Uber-cool! We wanted to take one of the Zodiac boats out to an iceberg, but we were there a month later, in July, and there were none to see. We were told it was too late in the season. Yes, the Viking museum is worth the trip. We stopped at a 'tourist' store in Dark Tickle, a very nice place. I bought a lined hoodie windbreaker there for $40 US. With the Dark Tickle NF printed on it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Day 16 6/15/22
Ferry Day

Ferry is scheduled to leave at 11:45PM and they want you at the ferry 2 hours before departure to get checked in. We arrived a little early. There are several drive up check in booths and only two were open. Provide them you confirmation number they give you a boarding pass and they the tell you which lane to line up in. The motorcycle lane was 4. There were already 2 bikes in lane 4, 2 riders from Quebec. There were only 4 motorcycles on the ferry. After lining up you can leave the parking area and walk into what I thought I was downtown North Sydney. There was not much to see. A lot of the business were not yet open for the day. We did used the a bank day-night teller to withdraw some Canadian cash. I had no idea if my credit union debit card would work, I never use it in the home country. It worked but was a $3 fee. On a side note I used my debit card right after we entered Canada At St Stephens. New Brunswick. I had cell coverage the entire trip to Port aux Basque. I spend most of the time outside is probably way , on level 8l (there were 9 levels). That is way my ridewithGPS link worked and I made several calls. Half way through the sail I could see the northern part of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland at the same time. We had a forward facing cabin which I spent very little time. In the cabin but we had a place to stash what gear we took off the bikes. My buddy took a nap. The ship pulls into the Port aux Basque harbor bow first and then does a 180 degree turn and backs up to the dock. We rode into the front of the ferry to board and rode out the back to leave. We spend the night at the St. Christopher hotel in Port aux Basque.

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Day 16 6/15/22
Ferry Day
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
Day 16 6/15/22
Ferry Day
More pictures
Great pix! When we were on the ferry, we just sat in the restaurant/ lounge areas for both passages. On the way back, found that the aft lounge area was a little smoother than the bow lounge. I think I mentioned that our motel in Port-aux-basque was past the Tim Horton's, near that little train museum with the giant astrolabe in front.

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
wow that is some huge ferry. the only one i was ever on with my bike. Millersburg Ferry - Wikipedia they just had you stand next to your ride and hold tight. thanks for posting the pics.
Yeah, they are a bit bigger than, say, the Ocracoke, NC ferry @ the Outer Banks.

Reactions: free1954

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Day 16 6/16/22
Headed north. Port aux Basque to Trout River
06/16/22

Before we left Port aux Basque the night ferry was just coming into the harbor. I have some video of the ferry basically spinning in place to turn around and back in to the ramps so vehicles can drive off. Will post in the future. Headed north to Trout River campground. The campground is in the Gros Morne National Park. That means we had to pay and extra $10.75CAN entrance fee to camp. All total the cost of camping turned out to be $47.25CAN. It turns out I took us to the wrong campground. I intended to camp.at a campground that is closer to the town of Trout River. I was just following the little tent icon signs for camping. The campground was very nice, The campground host told us that the pilot light for the hot was as not working so, no hot water. We made due. There are 40 site in the campground and only 2 were used so the place was nice and quite. When we woke up the next morning there was a note taped on my buddies seat saying the pilot light was fixed and there was hot water. There is also wifi available near the comfort station. No cellular data but I could make a wifi call. The ride into Trout River was very nice. You go by an area call the Table Lands where you can walk on the earths mantle. The place is all rocks. While setting around camp a car drove by and stopped to put some garbage in the trash bins. We said hello and he walked over to say hello. Turns out he is a photographer from Red Deer Alberta. All he does is travel the county and take pictures. He has been to every state and Canadian province.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Day 16 6/16/22
Headed north. Port aux Basque to Trout River
06/16/22

Before we left Port aux Basque the night ferry was just coming into the harbor. I have some video of the ferry basically spinning in place to turn around and back in to the ramps so vehicles can drive off. Will post in the future. Headed north to Trout River campground. The campground is in the Gros Morne National Park. That means we had to pay and extra $10.75CAN entrance fee to camp. All total the cost of camping turned out to be $47.25CAN. It turns out I took us to the wrong campground. I intended to camp.at a campground that is closer to the town of Trout River. I was just following the little tent icon signs for camping. The campground was very nice, The campground host told us that the pilot light for the hot was as not working so, no hot water. We made due. There are 40 site in the campground and only 2 were used so the place was nice and quite. When we woke up the next morning there was a note taped on my buddies seat saying the pilot light was fixed and there was hot water. There is also wifi available near the comfort station. No cellular data but I could make a wifi call. The ride into Trout River was very nice. You go by an area call the Table Lands where you can walk on the earths mantle. The place is all rocks. While setting around camp a car drove by and stopped to put some garbage in the trash bins. We said hello and he walked over to say hello. Turns out he is a photographer from Red Deer Alberta. All he does is travel the county and take pictures. He has been to every state and Canadian province.
Thanks for the photos; they brought back a lot of memories. In 2018, we were stopped on the side of Trans Can 1 near Cornerbrook, and a Newfarley (that's a Newfoundland Harley rider) stopped to say hello. While chatting, he suggested that we stop at Tablelands. We ended up being glad that we did. Those rusty rocks were odd, eh?
Tire Plant Wheel Sky Cloud

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
We stopped at the Deer Lodge motel for 2 consecutive nights. Right across from the Marathon station with the big fake moose out front. The day after the first night, we went through Gros Mornes Park on the way to the Viking encampment @ L'anse-aux-Meadows. Drove back to Deer lodge for the 2nd night, then headed back up the Trans Canada towards Gander, with stops in Glover's Harbor to see the replica 55' giant squid of 1870-something that washed ashore. Then to Twillingate where we'd booked boat to see the icebergs (none in July) and then spent the night in Gander.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts