Honda VTX Forum banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
6/21/2022
Signal Hill, Cape Spear, 8 not 7 WTH
6/21/22

Had breakfast at the hotel. The typical hotel breakfast but it is included with the room. Rode to Signal Hill. After Signal Hill we rode out to Cape Spear. Cape Spear was the goal for the entire trip. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at the Duke of Duckworth. The Duke of Duckworth was featured several times in a Canadian TV detective show, The Republic of Doyle. I guess something like Magnum PI. My wife liked the series so we decided to stop in. The Duke is suppose to have some of the best fish and chips We filled gas on the way back to the hotel to get ready to catch the ferry the next day in Argentia, or so we thought. We were sitting in a restaurant later that evening talking about the ferry that was suppose to arrive at 10.00 tomorrow and then depart at 17:00. I mentioned I thought we had 8 full days of riding before we get on the ferry but only counted 7. Suffering from KRS I figured I made a mistake. I looked at the calendar It is a 16 hours sail so the ferry is probably under way. I looked st schedule and a ferry tracking APP I determined that there is not ferry arriving tomorrow but is arriving on Thursday. We do have 8 days of riding. Great! another day of riding, just like originally planned.
Congratulations on the halfway mark.
Liquid Drinkware Bottle Tableware Solution

·
Registered
2004 VTX1300S converted to R
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
6/22/20
Best so far!

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton St. John's Airport to Argentia

Not yet realizing my mistake in the ferry departure we planned on riding straight to Argentia . After leaning of my mistake and that we really had 8 days of riding on Newfoundland we made a day of riding. And what a day. This section was probably out favorite sections in terms of the views we had and the changes in the surrounding terrain. My Ride With GPS didn't work so I recreated the route with google maps. We had a beautiful sunny day (that may have helped in making it a great day to ride) and the wind was down a little. When we arrived at Saint Catherine's we had to make a decision on the route. Newfoundland roads 81 and 91 had 10 mile and 15 miles sections of gravel road. I was not opposed to the gravel but my buddy was a little hesitant. The first option was to continue north on the 90 hit the1 and head east and take the 100 back down to Argentia. Or take the 91 to Colinet (still paved) and make the loop south on the 92 and then north on the 100 to Argentia. I waved down a guy stopped at at stop sign and pulled up to him and ask about the gravel road conditions. He said skip the gravel and said the loop south of Colinet was a popular motorcycle route with great views. Newfies really are the nicest people. We opted for the loop and so glad we did. The road still had the typical potholes and broken up road but the views were great. I did not take many pictures but may have some videos while riding in the future. That evening we stayed in The Harold, a hotel with a restaurant.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
6/22/20
Best so far!

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton St. John's Airport to Argentia

Not yet realizing my mistake in the ferry departure we planned on riding straight to Argentia . After leaning of my mistake and that we really had 8 days of riding on Newfoundland we made a day of riding. And what a day. This section was probably out favorite sections in terms of the views we had and the changes in the surrounding terrain. My Ride With GPS didn't work so I recreated the route with google maps. We had a beautiful sunny day (that may have helped in making it a great day to ride) and the wind was down a little. When we arrived at Saint Catherine's we had to make a decision on the route. Newfoundland roads 81 and 91 had 10 mile and 15 miles sections of gravel road. I was not opposed to the gravel but my buddy was a little hesitant. The first option was to continue north on the 90 hit the1 and head east and take the 100 back down to Argentia. Or take the 91 to Colinet (still paved) and make the loop south on the 92 and then north on the 100 to Argentia. I waved down a guy stopped at at stop sign and pulled up to him and ask about the gravel road conditions. He said skip the gravel and said the loop south of Colinet was a popular motorcycle route with great views. Newfies really are the nicest people. We opted for the loop and so glad we did. The road still had the typical potholes and broken up road but the views were great. I did not take many pictures but may have some videos while riding in the future. That evening we stayed in The Harold, a hotel with a restaurant.
I once had a Newfie stranger offer to loan me his car for the day; yeah they do that. I agree on avoiding gravel on a heavy cruiser. On your return trip you might consider traversing Canada. It's 34 hours of riding from Moncton to Winnipeg. Highway 17 on the Northern shore of Lake Superior from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay is quite spectacular, although by now, you may be experiencing, "scenic vista apathy". The Northern Plains of Saskatchewan make Kansas look like Switzerland. The locals say, "You can see your dog running away for three days." The Saskatchewan landscape is very similar to the Southern Plains North of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle. The forests of B.C. are similar to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state only more pristine. Of course, any route you choose will be the best one. It seems like your wingman and you are well matched in skill level and that you're pacing yourselves well. I've been across country with a fellow rider with much less experience than me; it was, uh, well...challenging. Enjoy your adventure. Happy trails.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I once had a Newfie stranger offer to loan me his car for the day; yeah they do that. I agree on avoiding gravel on a heavy cruiser. On your return trip you might consider traversing Canada. It's 34 hours of riding from Moncton to Winnipeg. Highway 17 on the Northern shore of Lake Superior from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay is quite spectacular, although by now, you may be experiencing, "scenic vista apathy". The Northern Plains of Saskatchewan make Kansas look like Switzerland. The locals say, "You can see your dog running away for three days." The Saskatchewan landscape is very similar to the Southern Plains North of Amarillo in the Texas Panhandle. The forests of B.C. are similar to the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state only more pristine. Of course, any route you choose will be the best one. It seems like your wingman and you are well matched in skill level and that you're pacing yourselves well. I've been across country with a fellow rider with much less experience than me; it was, uh, well...challenging. Enjoy your adventure. Happy trails.
I am quite familiar with all the areas you described. I have criss crossed it many times.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
6/23/22
Ferry Day, not yesterday.

The motel was warm (no AC) so we had two windows open all night. The motel staff said that the the last two days was there summer. I was up early and walked down to the Tim Hortons to get a cup of coffee. The Timmy's was located inside a gas station. As I was walking to the gas station a guy leaving the drive through of the Timmy's said that the gas station does not open until 0700. Be it was 0645. I decided to go on a little longer walk. When I came back to the gas station another guy parked next the gas stations yelled something to me. I walk over to talk to him and he told me that the inside counter service for Timmy's was closed because they could not get enough help to open the drive through and the counter. He said I could walk through the drive through line and I told him I didn't need coffee that bad. He then said jump in his car and he would drive me through the line. I jumped in and we drove through and on top of that he bought me coffee. Newfeeies are the nicest people. He name is Andy and then he gave me a ride back to the hotel. We got our checkout time at the hotel extended from 11:00 to noon. We had time to burn because the ferry departs at 5PM and we are suppose to be in line to board at 3PM. We rode out to the harbor to see the ferry come in (approximately 10AM) but it was already docked but they had not started letting vehicles off off the ferry. We decided to get out of there before the rush of vehicles came off the ferry. We found out yesterday that there a peacefully demonstration was to happen when the ferry came in. A lot of the locals were queued up at the exit for vehicles coming off of the ferry. I think they were going to start driving and getting in the line of cars coming off of the ferry and slow things down. They were protesting the poor road conditions in the area. I was told a refinery moved in and the government repaired/fixed the roads for the refinery but that nothing for the local community. The town we stayed in is called Placentia and the harbor is called Argentia. Argentia was a US military base during the cold war with 20,000 people stationed there. Placentia was a happening place back then but the base closed in 1994. Most of the base had been tore down except one building. A local told me that Placentia was mentioned in the 1990 movie The Hunt for Red October. The town currently has about 1500 people. Placentia also has the only lift bridge in Canada. Who knew. We still had time to waste after we checked out and who do we run into but the 2 couples from Ontario, it is a small world. They were also wasting time. They had just arrived from St. Johns. Went to go back to the hotel get lunch and then stopped at an ice cream shop on the way to the harbor. Just about that time the wind came and started to rain. We did not have to wait long and they started loading up at 3:30. Bikes are loaded first or early in the process. I think to give you time to strap down your bike. The ferry does provide all the straps you need. There were 8 or 9 motorcycle getting on the ferry. We had a cabin and I slept very well on the Ferry. The ferry arrived about an hour early. Someone mentioned that coffee was not available and the captain sped up to get to North Sydney early to avoid a riot. I was hoping for a cup of coffee.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
6/23/20
Ferry Day, not yesterday.

The motel was warm (no AC) so we had two windows open all night. The motel staff said that the the last two days was there summer. I was up early and walked down to the Tim Hortons to get a cup of coffee. The Timmy's was located inside a gas station. As I was walking to the gas station a guy leaving the drive through of the Timmy's said that the gas station does not open until 0700. Be it was 0645. I decided to go on a little longer walk. When I came back to the gas station another guy parked next the gas stations yelled something to me. I walk over to talk to him and he told me that in counter service for Timmy's was closed because they could not get enough help to open the drive through and the counter. He said I could walk through the drive through line and I told him I didn't need coffee that bad. He then said jump in his car and he would drive me through the line. I jumped in and we drove through and on top of that he bought me coffee. Newfeeies are the nicest people. He name is Andy and then he gave me a ride back to the hotel. We got our checkout time at the hotel extended from 11:00 to noon. We had time to burn because the ferry departs at 5PM and we are suppose to be in line to board at 3PM. We rode out to the harbor to see the ferry come in (approximately 10AM) but it was already docked but they had not started letting vehicles off off the ferry. We decided to get out of there before the rush of vehicle came off the ferry. We found out yesterday that there a peacefully demonstration was to happen when the ferry came in. A lot of the locals were queued up at the exit for vehicles coming off of the ferry. I think they were going to start driving and getting in the line of cars coming off of the ferry and slow things down. They were protesting the poor road conditions in the area. I was told a refinery moved in and the government repaired/fixed the roads for the refinery but that nothing for the local community. The town we stayed in is called Placentia and the harbor is called Argentia. Argentia was a US military base during the cold war with 20,000 people stationed there. Placentia was a happening place back then but the base closed in 1994. Most of the base had been tore down except one building. A local told me that Placentia was mentioned in the 1990 movie The Hunt for Red October. The town currently has about 1500 people. Placentia also has the only lift bridge in Canada. Who knew. We still had time to waste after we checked out and who do we run into but the 2 couples from Ontario, it is a small world. They were also wasting time. They had just arrived from St. Johns. Went to go back to the hotel get lunch and then stopped at an ice cream shop on the way to the harbor. Just about that time the wind came and started to rain. We did not have to wait long and they started loading up at 3:30. Bikes are loaded first or early in the process. I think to give you time to strap down your bike. The ferry does provide all the straps you need. There were 8 or 9 motorcycle getting on the ferry. We had a cabin and I slept very well on the Ferry. The ferry arrived about an hour early. Someone mentioned that coffee was not available and the captain sped up to get to North Sydney early to avoid a riot. I was hoping for a cup of coffee.
Interesting narrative and photos. Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 · (Edited)
6/24/20
Off one ferry on to another.

The night on the ferry was uneventful. Exactly what I would want on a 16 hour ferry ride. I wanted to get breakfast on the ferry but we arrived about an hour early and decided we would not have time. We were not the first off and we could have been off earlier but I had trouble keeping my bike running. After I get it running and kept it running I did not have any issues and have not had any issued to date. I think I may have flooded the bike. We decided to make a loop of Prince Edward Island and headed to Caribou Nova Scotia were a ferry departs to Woods Island PEI. For the fiirst 115 miles he weather was cloudy and windy but dry. After that we had light rain all the way to Caribou. The ferry was scheduled to depart in 45 minutes after we arrived but the ferry arrived 30 minutes late so we had to wait around in the rain. Lucky for his there was a building we could shelter. The bridge and the ferry to PEI is free. But to escape PEI the penalty is $20 for the bridge and $44 for the ferry. You can make reservations for the ferry to get to PEI but I didn't see much of that, maybe folks do that during the busy times. Some riders we meet a week earlier said that motorcycles are most always put on first without reservations and that was the case for us and we were the first off. The ferry to PEI takes about 45 minutes. We found a motel called Rachel's Motel and Cottage that is owned by a Chinese gentle named William. The place it great for motorcyclist and definitely would stay there again. The room we had, had separate bedrooms, a large fridge and a small 4 burner oven. The place also has a laundry. William gave us laundry detergent and the washing machine was free and the dryer cost $1.75CAN.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
6/24/20
Off one ferry on to another.

The night on the ferry was uneventful. Exactly what I would want on a 16 hour ferry ride. I wanted to get breakfast on the ferry but we arrived about an hour early and decided we would not have time. We were not the first off and we could have been off earlier but I had trouble keeping my bike running. After I get it running and kept it running I did not have any issues and have not had any issued to date. I think I may have flooded the bike. We decided we might as well make a loop of Prince Edward Island so we headed to Caribou Nova Scotia were we would catch a ferry to Woods Island PEI. For the fires 115 miles he weather was cloudy and windy but dry. After that we had light rain all the way to Caribou. The ferry was scheduled to depart in 45 minutes after we arrived but the ferry arrived 30 minutes late so we had to wait around in the rain. Lucky for his there was a building we could shelter. The bridge and the ferry to PEI are free. But to escape PEI the pently is $20 for the bridge and $44 for the ferry. You can make reservations for the ferry to get to PEI but I didn't see much of that, maybe folks do that during the busy times. Some riders we meet a week earlier said that motorcycles are most always put on first without reservations and that was the case for us and we were the first off. The ferry to PEI takes about 45 minutes. We found a motel called Rachels Motel and Cottage that is owned by a Chinese gentle named William. The place it great for motorcyclist and definitely would stay there again. The room we had, had separate bedrooms, a large fridge and a small 4 burner oven. The place also has a laundry. William gave us laundry detergent and the washing marching was free and the dryer cost $1.75CAN.

When we did PEI back in '02, we did the ferry from NB to Woods PEI also. Ate lunch at a former ice cream place that when we asked for a small serving of french fries, we got this huge oval serving plate like for a full ham or roast, piled HIGH with fries! Thats when we found out the cash crop of PEI farmers is potatoes. Apparently that red dirt up there is very rich. I don't remember the motel we stayed at, but it was on the highway between Charlottetown and Cavendish. It was on a slight rise to the left of the road, way back from the road a couple hundred yards. Nice enough. The next day the wife was dropped off at the Green Gables village while I played golf just past there on the same side of the road. Then we left via the toll bridge to NB, and went to Truro to see the Fundy tides.

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
6/25/2022
So long.
6/25/22

Left Rachels Motel and Cottages with some fog and light sprinkles. We started looking for a Timmy's. We found one but it was too early in the day. We usually eat a later breakfast and that keeps us powered until dinner. Sometime later when I should have been blindly following my GPS (unknowingly missed a turn) we ended up on the out skirts of Charlottetown, and traffic. Never trust your GPS even if you are not paying any attention to it. By the way this is the first trip I have used a GPS for navigation. We were heading to Cavendish so I could snap a picture of the house of Anne of Green Gables, Anne with an ''e”. If you have seen the series you will get that. My wife likes the series. The Timmy's at Cavendish was a mad house. It was a Saturday. We headed to Kensington and found a nice little breakfast cafe. Paid the $20 bridge toll to escape from PEI. At some point my riding buddy from Huntsville was going to head south back to Alabama. His originally planned to ride around Lake Superior to Duluth,then home. I told me I have been on that route and the best part is along Lake Superior once you got in to Minnesota. Then it was to head south at Sault Ste Marie, then it was to Ottawa, then it was to the top of Maine before heading south. After filling gas just east of Fredericton New Brunswick he headed southeast to Maine. I continued east to Woodstock New Brunswick and spent the night at the Stiles Motel. Great place for motorcyclists and the motel has an Indian restaurant, and better yet the proprietor was from India. The food was excellent.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
6/26/2022
6/26/22
No French

Up early and on the road at 5AM. I was crossing into Maine and then north to Madawaska Maine. I was headed to one of the designated 4 corners of the United States. Also crossed into Maine so I could get off of the Trans Canada Highway. When I crossed the border, I was the only vehicle, and promptly filled up with cheap fuel. Funny to say cheap fuel, but it was cheaper than Canada. Had to take a detour north of Presque Isle as US 1 was washed out north of town. Took the obligatory picture at the 4 Corners monument, filled fuel and rode to Fort Kent. I picked Fort Kent the previous day for my arrival point back into Canada. I was the only person entering Canada at Fort Kent and the process took less than 5 minutes. Rode mostlu north to the highway 132 to travel along the St Lawrence Sea Way. Lots of nice farms but did not see much of the sea way. The farther southwest I traveled the heavier the traffic. Being Sunday and a weekend and the end of Saint Jean Baptiste Day, more like weekend. People were everywhere. It is always a lot of people that ruin a nice riding day. I was warned of this by some riders from Ontario.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Jean-Baptiste_Day

The roads in Quebec are not north or south or for that matter east or west I aimed a litter southeast to get away from the sea way and less traffic. I did get away from the sea way but traffic was less but what I thought busy for the type of roads I was traveling. Lot of people on motorcycles. I was told my an Ontario couple if you don't know French, to say. “I am sorry I do not speak French, can you help me”. This worked for me. I say in Sherbrooke at Motel Des Sabres. Another great place for motorcyclists. I was a long warm day of riding, 473 miles of slow going and the temp was 90 degrees. There was a microwave in the room so cooked some of my camping food.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
6/27/2022
Get me out of here.
6/27/22

Left early to try and beat some of the rush hour traffic near Montreal. I would have beat the traffic except for two wrong turns at freeway interchanges and rain so hard that I pulled off the road at a truck weigh station. The wrong turns (missed exists) cost me about 5 miles before I could turn around. People warned me about the traffic in Montreal. Plus the fact that all the signs are in French not like the rest of Canada where signs are in English and French. Get me out of Quebec! ASAP. The quickest way around/by Montreal was freeways and I don't like to ride freeways. As soon as I crossed in to Ontario it seem I crossed in the the United States. Stopped at a Timmy's for breakfast and fuel. Route was uneventful, some nice parts in the Algonquin Provincial Park. Spent the night at the Rainbow Inn in Huntsville, Ontario. I would not rate it as high as the 3.5 stars google has for the place, but it worked. The fella in he front office was nice and helpful.

No pictures, just wanted to leave Quebec.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 · (Edited)
6/28/2022
Back in the US of A

Cool morning this morning. Started at 5:45. Had all the warm gear and stayed in the warm gear all day. The forecast for Sault Ste Marie was rain in the afternoon. I did get some sprinkles about 50 miles out but really nothing. At the border crossing I was wondering if anybody was going to the USA as there were not cars on the bridge. When I crossed the bridge there were 3 vehicle in front of me and I was across in 10 minutes. The bridge has a toll of $4 you pay after you pass through customs. My wife found me a motel in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. The Budge Inn Crestview. The cater to motorcyclist and have a biker discount. I stopped riding at 2:30PM because rain was forecast starting about 4PM and the weather man was pretty close. It rained pretty hard, and I was glad to have a motel. Living in Phoenix I as was a little skeptical of Jose's Mexican restaurant up the street but I was hungry for Mexican food. I can say the food was excellent and the salsa was also good. My brother called me and decided to meet up tomorrow in Wisconsin somewhere. He left Minot and rode to Grand Forks to spent the night.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 · (Edited)
6/29/2022
Meet up with my brother.

Ride with GPS did not work. This is the route I rode.
Budget Host Crestview Inn to Ashland

A bit of a late start this morning. I didn't care, the morning was very foggy. I rode for about 50 miles (slowly) before the fog lifted. Road was nice, very nice. I think most any road in the USA is much better that most all the roads in Canada. I did have a construction detour about 50 miles east of Munising at a town called Shingleton. The detour did not really cost me any time or distance. My brother and I were originally going to meet in Iron Wood MI, but I rode a little farther and got a motel in Ashland WI. I arrived about an hour before my brother. I saw my brother last, on June 5th in Louisville, KY at his daughters wedding. The motel was very close to Lake Superior with only the highway separating the motel from the lake and the temperature was very cool.

·
Registered
161 Posts
6/29/2022
Meet up with my brother.

Ride with GPS did not work. This is the route I rode.
Budget Host Crestview Inn to Ashland

A bit of a late start this morning. I didn't care, the morning was very foggy. I rode for about 50 miles (slowly) before the fog lifted. Road was nice, very nice. I think most any road in the USA is much better that most all the roads in Canada. I did have a construction detour about 50 miles east of Munising at a town called Shingleton. The detour did not really cost me any time or distance. My brother and I were originally going to meet in Iron Wood MI, but I rode a little farther and got a motel in Ashland WI. I arrived about an hour before my brother. I saw my brother last, on June 5th in Louisville, KY at his daughters wedding. The motel was very close to Lake Superior with only the highway separating the motel from the lake and the temperature was very cool.

Thanks for that rain video, it brought back memories of riding the entire 469-mile length of the Blue Ridge Parkway in a similar downpour. Iron Wood, MI. Home of the 52 foot Hiawatha statue.
Hiawatha Statue, Iron Wood, MI

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
i was surprised to hear the roads in the USA are better than in canada. you wouldn't know it by PA
i was surprised to hear the roads in the USA are better than in canada. you wouldn't know it by PA
We are in the midst of our 3rd season. Starting from Dec. 1: Winter, Pothole, Construction (reconstruction), and Autumn.

101 - 120 of 152 Posts