121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
2004 VTX1300S converted to R
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
6/30/2022
100,000 miles, Wow!

The morning had to be 10 degrees warmer than last evening. The weather was muggy and warm and no wind. It was so nice we did not put on the warm/rain gear because our weather apps showed we would miss any rain. So much for weather apps, 20 miles later we rode in to some light sprinkles but nothing was was going to get you wet. We rode on. I did some searching for weird things to see in Minnesota last night. I came across a gas station. But not just any gas stations. This gas station was designed my Frank Lloyd Wright. The station is located in Cloquet MN. Instead on getting on I-35 took we took a scenic route. I didn't know the station was full service and started to pump some gas. When I was finished the attendant was standing next to the pump watching me. The propane tank at the station is a site to see. Check out the pictures on the smugmug link. One mile east my Wright MN, my bike OD turned over to 100,000 miles. The miles are not all mine. I bought the bike with 1079 miles on the OD.

·
Registered
161 Posts
6/30/2022
100,000 miles, Wow!

The morning had to be 10 degrees warmer than last evening. The weather was muggy and warm and no wind. It was so nice we did not put on the warm/rain gear because our weather apps showed we would miss any rain. So much for weather apps, 20 miles later we rode in to some light sprinkles but nothing was was going to get you wet. We rode on. I did some searching for weird things to see in Minnesota last night. I came across a gas station. But not just any gas stations. This gas station was designed my Frank Lloyd Wright. The station is located in Cloquet MN. Instead on getting on I-35 took we took a scenic route. I didn't know the station was full service and started to pump some gas. When I was finished the attendant was standing next to the pump watching me. The propane tank at the station is a site to see. Check out the pictures on the smugmug link. One mile east my Wright MN, my bike OD turned over to 100,000 miles. The miles are not all mine. I bought the bike with 1079 miles on the OD.

Thanks, that service station is something. Was your attendant the guy in the video? You passed 60 miles South of Lake Itasca and the headwaters of the Mississippi river.
Finding Minnesota: Frank Lloyd Wright Service Station

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Thanks, that service station is something. Was your attendant the guy in the video? You passed 60 miles South of Lake Itasca and the headwaters of the Mississippi river.
Finding Minnesota: Frank Lloyd Wright Service Station
I can't say 100% if it is him but is sounds like him. He told us to look around and he went upstairs to open up the lounge. I was in Bemidji MN last summer on the bike and did not go down to Lake Itasca. I have been there years ago.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 · (Edited)
7/2/2022
From the most eastern part of North America to the Center

7/2/22

My brother and I spent July 1 visiting our younger brother in Fargo. North Dakota is known for there west wind, but today we had an ENE wind so our ride to Minot, ND was mostly a tail wind. We stopped in Rugby North Dakota. The town where I grew up. Rugby's claim to fame is that it is the Geographical Center of North America.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can't say 100% if it is him but is sounds like him. He told us to look around and he went upstairs to open up the lounge. I was in Bemidji MN last summer on the bike and did not go down to Lake Itasca. I have been there years ago.
I love everything FLW. Taliesin West, up your way in Scottsdale is one of my favorite places. I like how Wright uses tight spaces to make steps to look like an entrance to an Aztec temple on an Indiana Jones movie set. That entry to the service station lounge is no exception. I still want to do a trip to Racine, WI to see Wright's Johnson Wax headquarters building and to Pennsylvania to see Fallingwater. Your trip is completed and you still have us spellbound.(y)

·
Registered
161 Posts
7/2/2022
From the most eastern part of North America to the Center

7/2/22

My brother and I spent July 1 visiting our younger brother in Fargo. North Dakota is known for there west wind, but today we had an ENE wind so our ride to Minot, ND was mostly a tail wind. We stopped in Rugby North Dakota. The town where I grew up. Rugby's claim to fame is that it is the Geographical Center of North America.

Wow, the spouse and I passed through Minot, ND last month for a two-week trip to Estevan, SK. Our first time in Canada in 4 years.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
This is my route. Each dot is a 10 minute interval. You can click on any dot and get the speed, general directions, elevation, latitude and longitude. Click "View All Tracks" in the upper right hand corner of the map. Changing the layer to "road" (left side of map) I think makes the map more readable.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This is my route. Each dot is a 10 minute interval. You can click on any dot and get the speed, general directions, elevation, latitude and longitude. Click "View All Tracks" in the upper right hand corner of the map. Changing the layer to "road" (left side of map) I think makes the map more readable.

I noticed that your return route included 16a near Mount Rushmore in ND and 207 through Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. You sure know how to pick a quality route.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
I love everything FLW. Taliesin West, up your way in Scottsdale is one of my favorite places. I like how Wright uses tight spaces to make steps to look like an entrance to an Aztec temple on an Indiana Jones movie set. That entry to the service station lounge is no exception. I still want to do a trip to Racine, WI to see Wright's Johnson Wax headquarters building and to Pennsylvania to see Fallingwater. Your trip is completed and you still have us spellbound.(y)
Fallingwater is a fantastic visit. Near Ohiopyle and the Youghiogheny River , it is about 1-1/2 hrs. SW of me. If you ever are in the area I'd likely be available for a M & G or for Flt. 93 Memorial, 1/2 hr. south of me.

Reactions: a2rbnud

·
Registered
12,452 Posts

I see your route through W. by GOD Va., was on 50, over the mountain! Quite a road on the bike. At least for us around here. Where it intersected with US 219, south of Oakland, Md., was probably your closest point to me, maybe 2-1/2 hrs. About the same from Hagerstown where you got on I 81. So green with envy.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 · (Edited)
(edited 7/25/22)
7/3 to 7/8 2022
Can't forget Mom.

Left my brothers place in Minot, ND for a short ride to Hazen, ND to visit my mother.
No pictures but a couple of videos of the North Dakota countryside.

The first is crossing the Lake Audubon Causeway. Water is pumped from Lake Sakakawea on the right into Lake Audubon on the left to keep it (Lake Audubon) at a constant level. If you watch closely, you will see the pumping stations on the right, about 20 seconds in.

The second is crossing Garrison Dam east to west from Riverdale, ND to Pick City, ND.

The third is the countryside near the Knife River along ND-200.

The fourth is also crossing Garrison Dam but in this video I cut below the dam and ride by the power plant.

The fifth is a gravel road leading to my grandparents home (now passed). This is where I learned to ride a motorcycles. I don't remember what year it was, could be a 1972, But it was a Yamaha LS100 2 cylinder 2 strock. My 2 brothers and I abused the poor little bike.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 · (Edited)
7/9/2022
Slow Start

Heading to Custer, South Dakota to visit friends. I was going to get an early start but the weather decided I should just hang around a little more. The forecast had the rain ending about midnight, that was not the case. I planned on leaving about 6AM. After the rain let up, I was on the road about 7:30. I did hit a few small showers on my way to Dickinson, ND. I was cold so I decided to stop in Dickinson for breakfast. The restaurant was so cold I hurried to eat my breakfast and get back on the road. To make matters worse my hash browns were cold. By the time I got to Sturgis the temperature was pretty warm. I stopped at the Best Buy in Rapid City to purchase a new higher power cigarette/USB-C power plug and USB-C/C cable. It turns out that if your power output of a USB-A is not enough to keep GoPro battery charged when the camera is on, the battery will slowly discharge. The heat may also be an issue with keeping the battery warm. No pictures but I have a short video of rain.

There is a ranch/farm on South Dakota Highway 79 that I always stop for a visit with the owners. To me if is an interesting story that I have not put pen to paper. And after this trip there is another amazing coincidence that happened to me. The story starts in 2011.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
7/10/2022
A short ride
7/10/22

My friend had some business to attend to so I decided to video the entire Needles Highway from south to north as well as US16A from north to south. I have ridden the Needles before, maybe 10 years ago and I can't remember which direction. You have to purchase a Custer State Park pass to ride/drive the Needles Highway. Because of the park pass I have ridden the Needles a lot less. The cost is $20 for a 7-day pass or $33 for a yearly pass and I believe those prices are for a motorcycle. You don't have to pay to ride US16 or US16A (Iron Mountain Road) as those are federal highways. You don't have to pull in the ticket booth and if you do, tell them you are either driving to Custer or to Keystone, it all depends on if you are going north or south. I have ridden Iron Mountain Road many times. I got an early start so I had very few cars to contend with. It was a very pleasant ride and I was in no rush.

The entire Needles Highway is 37 minutes long and Iron Mountain is also 37 minutes long.

7-10-22

·
Registered
161 Posts
Back on 6/15/22

Video of us riding into/onto the ferry at North Sydney Nova Scotia.

On July 1st (Canada Day) the city of Port aux Basque usually sets off fireworks from the island right across from the St. Christopher hotel. It's quite the show.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
I busted a bunch of links for video and pictures. Hope to correct soon.
Hope I have the links fixed. You can peruse the pictures I have uploaded but I have not yet included text with all the dates.

On a side note I used a GoPro Hero 10 for videos. I was recording at not the highest definition but still pretty high. When I come edit the high data rate video my computer comes to a screeching halt. Later on in the trip I recorded and a more reasonable data rate therefore I can render those videos. I think now I am in the market for a new computer. There is always something.

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
Hope I have the links fixed. You can peruse the pictures I have upload but I have not yet included text with all the dates.

On a side not I used a GoPro Hero 10 for videos. I was recording and not the highest definition but still pretty high. When I come edit the high data rate video my computer comes to a screeching halt. Later on in the trip I record and a more reasonable data rate therefore I can render those videos. I think now I am in the marked for a new computer. There is always something.
I appreciate the memory jog from all the pix and narrative you provided.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts