141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
2004 VTX1300S converted to R
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
7/12/2022
Southbound

After a very nice visit with friends in Custer, South Dakota I turned south for Pampa, Texas. The weather started out nice and cool, but by 10 o'clock it was warm, very warm. I rode through Wind Cave National Park on the off chance I would see buffalo. I did see one lone bull walking on the side of the road. I did get him on video. Stopped at Carhenge for a few pictures. I got stuck in some road construction on the dam on Lake McConaughy. My route had me turning before I got through all the constructions, oh and still hot, real hot. It was hot and a head wind all the way to Scott City, Kansas. Kansas is in a drought the entire country side was brown and yellow, more yellow. All the wheat had already been harvested. Spent the night in the Lazy R and walked across the street to eat at a diner that I had breakfast back in 2018. I need to start taking some new routes but I like to visit my friends whenever I am in the area. Did it mention it was a hot ride today, real hot.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 · (Edited)
7/13/2022
Still Southbound

I was up real early, I waited for the sun. I left about 20 minutes before sun rise. Stopped in Garden City for fuel and then to Liberal for a McDonald's stop and breakfast. Continued to Perryton for another fuel/break stop. I was trying to surprise a friend of mine in Pampa. His wife could not come up with a good idea to get him off the farm to town so I could surprise him at a restaurant. I ended up riding out to the farm. He was only slightly surprised. I first met this gentlemen back in late July of 2008 when my 1985 Jeep CJ-7 broke down about 3 miles from his farm. Making a very long story short I came back to his farm in October and drove semi truck and grain cart during the corn harvest. I showed up just before lunch and we drove to Pampa for Mexican food. After lunch I rode along in the pickup and we checked on cattle the rest of the afternoon. Checking that they had water, salt and minerals. Oh, and it was hot, very hot.
No pictures today.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
7/14/2022
Still Southbound and Westbound

Time flew by last night visiting with friends and I did not get to bed until midnight. That is what happens when you visit with good friends. And this morning was no different, started visiting and I did not start riding until 9AM. And the temperature was already warm. Not long after I left I came across another mini Carhenge only with Volkswagen's. Or Volkswagen's buried like the Cadillacs just west of Amarillo. I had a lot of wind (of course against me) and sun all day. Another hot day of riding. It was so hot my phone would not charge. I stopped often at gas stations/convenience stores just to cool off and fill my water bottle with ice. In one convenience store I had my phone in the ice cream cooler. I was just standing around drinking water and cooling off when one of the clerks looked in the cooler. I said it was my phone and put it in the cooler to cool off. The clerk looked at me and said that some one named Sweetie (my wife) is calling, I didn't hear the phone ring. I did the same thing yesterday, only I put it in the ice box out side. I set the phone on one bag of ice and laid another bag of ice on top of the phone. I wanted to make it to Mountionair NM but stopped about 65 miles short in Vaughn, NM. I was ready to stop and enjoy some AC. The choices for restaurants in Vaughn was pretty thin and settled on Penny's Dinner which happens to be open 24 hours. And it is not open 24 hours because of good food.

·
Registered
161 Posts
7/14/2022
Still Southbound and Westbound

Time flew by last night visiting with friends and I did not get to bed until midnight. That is what happens when you visit with good friends. And this morning was no different, started visiting and I did not start riding until 9AM. And the temperature was already warm. Not long after I left I came across another mini Carhenge only with Volkswagen's. Or Volkswagen's buried like the Cadillacs just west of Amarillo. I had a lot of wind (of course against me) and sun all day. Another hot day of riding. It was so hot my phone would not charge. I stopped often at gas stations/convenience stores just to cool off and fill my water bottle with ice. In one convenience store I had my phone in the ice cream cooler. I was just standing around drinking water and cooling off when one of the clerks looked in the cooler. I said it was my phone and put it in the cooler to cool off. The clerk looked at me and said that some one named Sweetie (my wife) is calling, I didn't hear the phone ring. I did the same thing yesterday, only I put it in the ice box out side. I set the phone on one bag of ice and laid another bag of ice on top of the phone. I wanted to make it to Mountionair NM but stopped about 65 miles short in Vaughn, NM. I was ready to stop and enjoy some AC. The choices for restaurants in Vaughn was pretty thin and settled on Penny's Dinner which happens to be open 24 hours. And it is not open 24 hours because of good food.

One of my favorite drives in the Texas panhande is the section of Hwy 205 just East of Amarillo that goes through the East side of Palo Duro Canyon. There's a great rest stop on the South rim overlooking the canyon. Hwy. 205 Lookout Point Rest Stop

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
7/15/2022
More Westbound

Was up before my alarm. The temperature was not cool but definitely not as hot as yesterday. Got on the road and planned to have breakfast at Mountainair. From an internet investigation there was only one cafe open early. And this restaurant (Alpine Alley) was open for take out only until 8AM. I showed at 7:10 and walked in and was going to claim ignorance to the 8AM dine in. They told me I could dine in as the drive up traffic was slow. I ordered your basic breakfast sausage, eggs, hash brows, toast and coffee. I asked for crispy hash browns and was told that this would take a little longer, 18-20 minutes. 35 minutes later I had my breakfast and yes the hash browns were crispy. Took off for Socorro for fuel and than to Pie Town to the Pio-ONeer for pie. I got the New Mexico apple pie, coffee and as an added treat I got a chocolate chip cookie. I have been to Pie Town may times for pie and the pie has been excellent every time. This time the pie as not so excellent definitely not as good as what I have come to expect. And the chocolate chip cookie had no taste, and to add insulate to the tasteless cookie was that it cost $6USD. If I knew the price of the cookie before I bought it I was have passed. Also the service was lacking. I don't know what happened. The ride today was nice and cool, elevation helps. Stay with friends as Nutrioso, Arizona.

My RideWithGPS quit or paused in Pie Town. Here is the entire route for the day.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
7/16/2022
Final Push

7/16/22

The weather was going to be hot, very hot getting into Phoenix. Up early and on the road at 4:45AM. The lights on my VTX do now illuminate very well. Another reason I do not ride when the sun is down. The sun was coming and the sky was staring to get lighter. I rode in the dark for 30 miles. Somewhere about 35 miles southe of Payson the furnace of Arizona summer hit me. I arrived home at 9:15AM

I clocked 12,500 miles. 7 weeks and 6 days away from home.

I hope to post a few videos, nothing fancy just the country side.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Video from Day 2
Day 2 5/23/23

Came across a heard of Elk as I was leaving Nutrioso.

Views of the country side from Nutrioso AZ to Brownfield TX

·
Registered
161 Posts
5-25-2022
Video of the county side from Mineral Wells Texas To Atlanta Texas.

I once rode for 50 miles behind a Ford Model A convoy of 15 cars on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Talk about a time warp.

141 - 152 of 152 Posts