Honda VTX Forum banner

phone for gps

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  maurice2 
#1 · (Edited)
Don't you have trouble seeing the screen in bright daylight? The Garmin I could see pretty well and may continue using it, but not sure if it is lost in my move. Will see when bike arrives soon. Besides I have a cigarette light plug at handlebar, wire under tank to the back connected to battery. Like the idea of phone using my Bluetooth through helmet.

#2 ·
That sun is pretty bright around here. I bought a handlebar bracket for my bike and will be sticking a Samsung phone in it. My maps are all offline so no data or wireless usage required just GPS. But if I can't see the phone hopefully I can hear the dialog using blue-tooth earbuds.

Not sure if I can get my head, with earbuds, all crammed in the bucket but that is what I hope will happen.

Hope your bike gets here soon and with everything intact.

#3 ·
That's pretty much what I thought, just listen to dialog directions. Luckily I have blue tooth built in my helmet so no extra room needed.

Bike delivery delayed as shipper backed out 4 hrs before pickup with family emergency, mom had heart attack. Yikes.
Another 5 days I should see it. Said he was treating bike like it was his own. We will see. Thanks!

#9 ·
#5 · (Edited)
Ive a gps hardwired to the bike...served me well...now that I have all these health problems but still want to ride and stay in touch with Dr.s...I put a slick little all metal phone mount on the bike...no Bluetooth setup....looks great but cant see it or hear it....LOL.....good luck on choice...

May go to earbuds if I choose to listen to pandora....

#6 ·
I do have trouble seeing it at times, mostly when the sun is behind me and shining directly on the phone. I use a Uclear BT communicator, paired to my iPhone. I mostly use it to listen to music, but the turn by turn directions also come through. I like being able to hear it more than being able to see it, as it alerts me to upcoming turns well in advance. I also have a Garmin GPS I use at times when I know the signal on my phone will be poor, I have the same issue seeing it when the sun is behind me. I can also pair it with my Uclear, but then can't use the phone to listen to music.

What kind of mount are y'all using?
RAM mounts for both the phone and GPS.

#7 ·
Using WAZE on phone for GPS. A bike mount, and a cord that plugs into my battery tender pigtail.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Widras-Universal-Handlebar-Smartphone-Rotatable/dp/B01LXZHNKC/ref=asc_df_B01LXZHNKC/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863980112324&psc=1[/ame]

#8 ·
#12 ·
I put my Samsung phone, the bracket to hold it and my Mpow earbuds to the test today. I have to give the bracket a thumbs up for ease of use and securing the phone. The phone and HereWeGo offline maps played nice together but I couldn't see the maps unless I pulled under a tree or overpass. The bluetooth was working fine between the phone and the earbuds but I couldn't hear above 30 mph. For walking, hiking or biking (*in skin tight suits) the Mpows would be great.

So . . I didn't expect to see the maps in the AZ sun but I did expect to hear the directions and phone call my wife made above 30 mph. I could hear that there was dialog but couldn't make it out.

Long/short of it is a new bluetooth bucket is in my future or it's back to the waterproof maps which are okay for the highway but fall short when city riding.

*No I don't wear those skin tight suits or ride bicycles but I have to admit most of the women look pretty good in them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.