Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn, they are loud!!!! I bought my bike and the came with, Hard Krome Sideburners. Are they legal? They sound great, but are very loud. The stock pipes came with them, should I reinstall the originals, which I have? I live in upstate NY, But plan on riding all over, into Penn, vermont, and Ohio and maybe some other states. Going to Americade, in June. Bike was Dealer's father's bike which he drove, with dealer's plates. I do get the full 1 year warranty. Jim

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Want to see if I get any tickets first, OK ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, just wanted to say, they are on a 2004 1300 VTX S

G

·
Loudness is subjective, if a cop wants to write you for it he will weather you have V&H or sideburners. If your neighbors are complaining to the law because you wake them up when you leave in the morning or come home late at night you might want to change them. I know a lot of guys with loud pipes and none of them has been ticketed here in NC. I would be more concerned with pissing off my neighbors than getting a ticket and paying a few bucks. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here in Fredericksburg, VA, we have a noise ordinance. If you come through the city making an ass of yourself and really crackin on the pipes, youll definantley leave with a ticket. I have seen these come to court. The guy got off because our noise ordinance is really vague. The guy had a Harley with aftermarket pipes and was summons for a violation of the cities noise ordinance. He should have been charged with defective equipment because it was admitted that he had removed the baffles. Once he did that, he altered the pipes, Big NO NO. If you really want to get into the Code of Virginia, it states, you cant change the stock or OEM exhaust on vehicles without altering the vehicle, but that only gets written on these foolish kids and their Fast And Furious cars. I am a police officer and in my opinion, ride it LOUD on the highway, but be considerate to others when you need to be and youll be OK. By the way, my X has had HKs on it for over a year, no probs.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I live in Syracuse NY, my Dad's a retired NYS Trooper - he looked up the law on motorcycle exhaust for me. NYS V&T Code Article 9 on Equipment/Motorcycles.

"Any exhaust with removable baffles, straight pipes or a modified stock exhaust "in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted ' are illegal in NYS." Thus giving an officer an excuse to issue you a ticket.

Will you get a ticket, most likely NOT. I have had V&H's bigshots on for 3 years, been all over the northeast & americade without any issues. Many of the guys I ride with run straight pipes that are much louder than mine too, I feel sorry for their hearing!!!!!

What I was worried about is NYS enhanced inspection system, which just stated in upstate NY.

One of the guys in our club works for the DOT and tells me he doesn't see the state enforcing the motorcycle emission laws anytime in the near future. (I'm guessing if they do, it will start down state, as they did with cars).

I don't understand everything he said, but currently they plug the car's computers in, but do not sniff the exhaust. He went on to say "the state deems motorcycle as a very minor issue with our short riding season here, that he's not too worried about this"

I guess this could all change?

Kevin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts