Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

any ideas on what to do if pipes running hot after clayton mod? From reading the boards here, I assume an A/F ajdustment or even a re-jet may be needed.

help?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Thats interesting... I've had the clayton mod for over a year and no problem. I sure would hate to burn Ponyz's awesome paint on my side cover..... For just doing the clayton, you shouldn't need to rejet or touch the A/F. All I did was put the pipes on and drove off. Now if you opened your air box to breath better you might have to do at least the scar mod. Sorry I know thats no help but someone will be along shortly with the answer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem with just the clayton mod, that's a new one on me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you let is sit running too long, there's no air flow to keep the cover cool.
There is no heat shield on the back side, so making one will solve it.

Aluminum sheet, a couple stand offs of same, pop-rivots, and hose clamps.
thanks for the tip, philscbx. I suppose a heat shield can always help, but in an effort to avoid that job, would you consider some other thoughts?

Is it possible I'm just running too lean and didn't notice it until today? Dealer did adjust my carb a couple months ago due to stall at idle and ever since then bike ran great but had gurgling and popping at decel.

Also, would desmogging help or hurt?

('05 1300c, clayton mod, all else stock)

·
Registered
9,836 Posts
I suppose a heat shield can always help, but in an effort to avoid that job, would you consider some other thoughts?
Same thing happened to member with his on the Dyno, no air flow.

Maybe a quick fix is aluminum tape on the cover itself.
A HomeDepot item alternative for duct tape.
That will reflect the heat away.

Is it possible the cover is not seated fully in it's mounts?
Spray a little silicone spray on the rubber mounts, and it will pop on solid.

Hard to say on other settings if they are making more heat,
but not impossible.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
A melted right side cover is generally caused by a poorly installed cover. Make sure your cover is fully seated in the front rubber tab covers, and the rear rubber grommet.

I REALLY doubt your pipes are running hotter from a clayton mod, and if anything they should be running cooler from less back pressure. Even if they were running hotter, I still don't see them running hot enough to melt your side cover IF it is installed properly... :dontknow:

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
A melted right side cover is generally caused by a poorly installed cover. Make sure your cover is fully seated in the front rubber tab covers, and the rear rubber grommet.

I REALLY doubt your pipes are running hotter from a clayton mod, and if anything they should be running cooler from less back pressure. Even if they were running hotter, I still don't see them running hot enough to melt your side cover IF it is installed properly... :dontknow:
:agree: That's what I was thinking.
I had problems with the side covers only when I was running Cobra Drag Pipes.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
:agree: That's what I was thinking.
I had problems with the side covers only when I was running Cobra Drag Pipes.
:agree: because there are an awful lot of bikes with the Clayton mod that haven't had any problems.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

thanks to all for the help. poorly installed side cover is, of course, possible. I was fiddling with it just the other day. I'll double check it. Hopefully that's all it is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just completed the Clayton Mod and road for 600 miles. No problems with the cover or with my wife that was just above the pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts