Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a fall trip to northern Georgia and want to get the best bang for the buck.

I intend to spend at about 6 or 7 days on this trip with 1 full day in Sky Valley. I could add a couple more if I have to.

I would like to do the Tail of the Dragon just to say I did it, but I know there is much more down through there to see.

Any recommendations from those of you familiar with this area?

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Between Dillard and Highlands.
NC 28 in Highlands goes all the way to Deal's Gap "ToD" https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/moonshiner28-map/
Could go to Franklin and take Wayah Rd to Topton,NC US 129 in Topton to Deal's Gap.
US 64 is good mtn road in Highlands area to Cashiers.

Going south on NC 28 to GA 28 to SC 28 White Water Falls in the area. GA 28 to Warwoman rd to Clayton.

We have nice riding in GA. GA 60, US 129/19 and GA75 are N/S roads that cross the mountains.
GA 348, GA75 near Helen to Suches via GA180> GA 60

Six Gap ride map is good. https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/sixgap/

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My trip to Sky Valley Georgia is rapidly approaching.

I am going to have new tires installed before I go.

I have a route planned that will take me through the Cumberland Gap on the way down where I will stop at a military buddies house in TN for the 1st night.

If my friend has time and can go, we are going to go down to ride the Tail of the Dragon the 2nd day where afterward I will continue to Sky Valley and he will return home.

I do not have my route back planned yet. I am going to decide that after I get down there. I will likely go back right through the Smoky Mountains National Park but am not sure.

I have not decided how long I am staying at my moms. That will depend upon what she has going on.

I am excited. This is my first "big" ride on my bike and I figure I'll have around 1200 miles in before it is done. Or more!

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I just looked at the route using Ashland to Deal's Gap.
That would take you through Knoxville on I-40
I added Townsend, TN and you can avoid Knoxville, and enjoy riding Foothills Pkwy to US 129 to Dragons Tail.

We were in Highlands for a few days early this month and passed Sky Valley twice. (GA 246/NC 106)

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Tallulah Falls

I am planning a fall trip to northern Georgia and want to get the best bang for the buck.

I intend to spend at about 6 or 7 days on this trip with 1 full day in Sky Valley. I could add a couple more if I have to.

I would like to do the Tail of the Dragon just to say I did it, but I know there is much more down through there to see.

Any recommendations from those of you familiar with this area?
Just 25 miles south of Sky Valley. Tallulah Falls and gorge.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tallulah+Falls,+GA/@34.7083911,-83.5143056,72133m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8858c7ab3829f44b:0x6bdbd841ddd07a15!8m2!3d34.7367105!4d-83.3927536?hl=en

Reactions: RScottie

·
Registered
11,548 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am packing for my trip right now. Will head out tomorrow morning.

I am going to take the scenic route down through Hindman Kentucky to Whitesburg, over Pine Mountain on 119 and go through the Cumberland Gap.

I will then stop and see a buddy from my Air Force days near Morristown Tennessee.

After that, I am heading on down to Sky Valley.

I may not hit the tail of the dragon on the way down because it would be on the weekend. I have heard it is less crowded during the week so I may wait until I am on my way back.

I am not sure what day that will be but I am just hoping for good weather!

·
Registered
760 Posts
I am packing for my trip right now. Will head out tomorrow morning.

I am going to take the scenic route down through Hindman Kentucky to Whitesburg, over Pine Mountain on 119 and go through the Cumberland Gap.

I will then stop and see a buddy from my Air Force days near Morristown Tennessee.

After that, I am heading on down to Sky Valley.

I may not hit the tail of the dragon on the way down because it would be on the weekend. I have heard it is less crowded during the week so I may wait until I am on my way back.

I am not sure what day that will be but I am just hoping for good weather!
Safe travels on your trip. Bike trips are the best!!
FYI: We like pics!! :wink2:

Reactions: RScottie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts