Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a fan of Dunlop cruiser tires.
I put 32,000 miles on my Spirit 1100 in 2.5 years before buying the 1800S last August.
The original rear Dunlop on both bikes was pretty well gone and getting squirrelly at 8500 miles. I went through 2 sets of Avon Venoms on the Spirit. The Venom rear tires both lasted 12,000 miles and the Avons felt much better, better grip, more confidence-inspiring. That's what I wanted to buy, or ME880's.
I have found the spoke wheels on the S model, coupled with the odd front tire size limits tire selection. Anyway, I had new same-model Dunlops put on the bike a week ago and it feels like a totally different bike. And I don't mean from worn out-to-new different, I mean it feels way better than when I bought the bike new. If you could describe a 820 pound behemoth as nimble, that's how it feels now, better ride and much better handling, feels like a much lighter motorcycle.
I don't know if the new tires are different somehow or what, but it's good to have something work this way once in a while.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I might be your tire pressure. I know when my pressure is getting low and I fill em, it feels very different. Did you check your pressure often? Maybe the new ones are over filled.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent point.
I meant to say in my post I thought of the same thing. I checked the tires and got the same pressure, 33, on both tires, so I bought a new gauge this morning and got 31 with it, added a little air and the gauge said 35/36.
So that's not it.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Not Enough Pressure

That's not enough pressure. I have read on this board that the dunlops like more pressure so I run 38-40 in the front and 41 in the rear. I have more than 10000 miles on my stock dunlops and they look like they will go for 2000 more. Just my.02

Ride Safe

John

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the fact that tubes are involved has something to do with the recommended pressures. The info on the driveshaft says 33/33 unless someone like me is on it, then 36/33. I usually have about 38/35 in them. These are the same model tires that came on my Spirit. The recommended pressure there was 36/33 or 41/33 over 210 pounds.
I try to keep the pressure in the tires right where I think they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The first week I had my bike, I began to second guess my purchase, very unpredictable in the corners. Checked the tire pressure and found it had only 26lbs! Bumped it up to 38 front, and 40 rear, and it's a different bike. For some reason Honda is recommending a lower pressure, but the bike handles so much better with more air.

·
Registered
691 Posts
40-40 aprroximately is real nice to me.

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
I have 18,500 miles on my Dunlops. I ride a 1300 R. Not sure what the tire pressure is. But my mechanic (hubby) puts the air in them, and I am sure he puts in what they tire says. I think it is about time to get a new tire!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Geez I am hoping my tires make it to 2000 miles! I have a lot of fun on my bike.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Tires

I'm up to almost 17,000 on my 1800R with stock Dunlops. They still look fine so I'll keep on going. Hopefully I'll get this good of service out of the next set.

·
Registered
364 Posts
There were some posts going around last year that said that the recomended preasure from Honda was too low. Dunlop was recomending the higher 40/41 preasure.
I'm sure some others will weigh in on this.
I run 40 lbs front and rear

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
My stealer was lying to me about my pressure.. I asked to put higher in the tire for the past year.... THEY KEPT SAYING YEAH.. YEAH.. YEAH... But they did'nt, so I only got 6k out of both front and back at 31/32.. Just bought Dunlops E3 the other day, waiting for install.. I hope these are better.. Does anyone have them?? I know that they are newer, but has anyone used them or are useing them and review so far???

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Just got my new set of Dunnie WWW's from HDL a couple of days ago. I've got 8,200 on my originals, and think I'll get another 2-4k out of them before I trade them out. Sure want to see what they look like. I run 40/40 pressure also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I ordered a set of the Elite III's and should be in tomorrow. A friend of mine installed a set on his GL and says they're great. Got 5k on my stockers and front wear bars are showing and the rear is feathering badly with about another 500 left. I run 40 front and 38psi rear. Most of my riding is on twisty foothill roads. :twisted:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got 14,500 out of my orginal dunlops and decided to get new tires for the upcoming rainy season. Bought WW dunlops for the second season. I was told the Dunlop had changed formulas on their tires and that the new improved tire last a lot longer. I haven't heard this from a second source yet, but may explain why there is such a difference in miliage being reported.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts