Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello brothers. Thank you for taking time to read and hopefully help. I have a 2006 VTX 1800 C2 that will start if hooked to cables (and a booster box tapping the heavy lead on the sylinoid) but as soon as I unhook the battery from the car it shuts off. Runs like a raped ape when it is on the cords. I know my battery is shot but shouldn't the bike still run once it is started?

I must note that in September I laid the bike down trying not to hit a deer who jumped out in front of me. The bike was in a body shop (that only did the paint work I did the rest). The left crankcase cover was damaged and I replaced it. When I did this I put the new bearing in the cover and then unbolted my old stuff out of the damaged case (just a few scratches on the case no major damage). I have checked my connections to make sure I did have them tight and they are.

Prior to the wreck (and even after before it was torn apart) the bike ran great. The only issue was that I have green LED strips (2- 2 piece 20'' strips) on my bike and the switch had a little green light on it so I assume that is what killed the battery. I do not know what I could have done to stop it from charging. It is simply unbolt and reinstall.

PLEASE help I miss my baby.

P.S. incase you were wondering I elimated the black color and red/silver/orange flames and had it painted a purpleish blueish color that changes in light. BAD A$$ :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you try to jump it from battery and nothing happens but you can jump from the solenoid under left side cover problem is most likely the battery.

Sounds like your battery is shorted. Basically a break in the flow of power. Ignition system needs to have a complete circuit in order to run, that's why every time you disconnect it it shuts down. Hope this helps, Eric.

To take the battery completely out of the equation take it to get tested. Autozone etc. or even Batteries Plus will test it for free. Then start trouble shooting from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great

Thank you Eric. I was hoping that was the problem but this is my first bike and was unsure. I know on cars once you start them they will stay running. I will replace the battery ASAP and get back to you all and let you know if that fixes the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts