Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I would really appreciate it if you would read this, sign it (if you agree), and pass it along to anyone/everyone that you know.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/moto ... slawsinmi/

My husband was driving his Honda Rune Motorcycle a few weeks ago, and thru the whole ordeal we learned of this law and are trying to get it changed. Thanks so much.

Have a great day.
Debi and JT Armstrong

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go to civil court over this if the other driver vechicle was found @ fault should have no problem in civil court -p.s his insurance co. will repesent him in civil court (usually) so you can collect ! make them pay! That what i would do as this is not legal advice you can check on that also with a lawyer!- this disclamier is for LEO riders who might say I should not give legal advice.....

·
Registered
35 Posts
My question is why are you paying a deductible in the first place? I was in an accident when a young girl pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. She was cited for failure to yield right-of-way and her insurance coughed up the money for the entire bill to fix my motorcycle. I never even had to use my own insurance. If the other rider was cited as being at fault then I don't understand why your insurance would even be involved... for that matter they shouldn't want to pay any damages.

Of course I'm not in Michigan and maybe our two states differ... I hope your hubby is ok and that you get your situation resolved. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
BiGDoG96 said:
My question is why are you paying a deductible in the first place? I was in an accident when a young girl pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me. She was cited for failure to yield right-of-way and her insurance coughed up the money for the entire bill to fix my motorcycle. I never even had to use my own insurance. If the other rider was cited as being at fault then I don't understand why your insurance would even be involved... for that matter they shouldn't want to pay any damages.

That is what I was wondering also.

G

·
BiGDoG96 said:

Of course I'm not in Michigan and maybe our two states differ... I hope your hubby is ok and that you get your situation resolved. Best of luck to you.
I don't get it either.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Michigan is a no fault state. Even if someone is at fault and ticketed. Each persons insurance pays their own bill. I think it goes something like that.

It's supposed to keep insurance rates down because it's supposed to keep the insurance companies out of the courts. But, that ain't happenin'.

·
Registered
35 Posts
RedVTXRider said:
Michigan is a no fault state. Even if someone is at fault and ticketed. Each persons insurance pays their own bill. I think it goes something like that.

It's supposed to keep insurance rates down because it's supposed to keep the insurance companies out of the courts. But, that ain't happenin'.
Hmmm odd, because Utah is supposed to be as well. Which is why my physical health treatment for the accident has been going through my normal health insurance which I will be reimbursed for through the other driver's car insurance. As for my bike, I guess I am lucky and the other driver's insurance knew better than to stir the pot... they covered my bike repair cost very quickly and they even got the damage inspection going on it.

Again best of luck to the original poster. I hope it goes well for you... and that they change that silly law.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, I did contact an attorney and asked them about taking her to small claims court and he advised me that we would loose, since it is the law. I said, why, the accident was her fault and she got a ticket, and he said it does not matter, that is the law.

I just don't understand, who would make such a stupid law. I'm the kind of person that will take this as far as I can, to get this law changed. Maybe in the end I can't, but maybe all of my research will allow the next person to get it changed. Thanks for all of your comments, and advice, I really do appreciate it. Have a nice weekend.

ps - thanks to all of you, who have signed the petition also

·
Registered
154 Posts
You're fighting the wrong battle. Take the State of Michigan Department of Motor Vehicles to Court for a refund of all state fees paid them for your *moped* :D It is a constitutionality issue that will only be addressed when done through the courts. I am not a lawyer, and don't want to be one, but if you are not classified as a motor vehicle then you should not be running a license plate! You are riding what amounts to a MOPED in the Great :shock: state of Michigan. By their own definition, normal laws for MV's should not apply. Don't let this go so easily. You may need to find another attorney that is willing to take up your cause. The ABATE link is a good one. They have some clout

·
Registered
347 Posts
Plan A - civil court did not work

Plan B - If it was me I would contact an ambulance chaser type lawyer "might have an injury he is unaware of" they will get a big per-centage of any settlement but there is no cost to you if they don't - usualy those type of lawyers won't take a case unless they know they will win- they will not waste their time!

A few years ago I know a guy who was injured in an auto wreck, he first tried the nice lawyer approach got him nothing went with plan B type he settled out of court with the other party insurance co. As part of settlement he can't disclose the $$$amount ...but he seemed happy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If this happens again, I suggest you immediately be transpsorted to a hospital by ambulance. Have the accident declared a personal injury accident. Complain of extreme pain in your back to the attending physician. The insurance company will gladly pay your deductible plus some money for your pain to keep you from contacting an attorney and filing a lawsuit. I just retired from the Indiana State Police after 27 years and have learned much. This is mainly a bargaining tool with the other guys insurance company. I have instructed my family to do this, espcecially if they are not at fault and there is substantial property damage. Believe me this works, I have seen it hundreds of times. The other guys agent will be knocking on your door wanting to settle quickly.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ricstir said:
because the Michigan mini tort law does not recognize a motorcycle as a Motor Vehicle.
So does that mean you dont have to get it inspected and pay registration fees on it? or carry a MC license?
Also, does that mean you don't have to pay property taxes on it?? I would so love that!!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Just trying to help you get signatures, I posted a thread about this at the VTX Cafe forums. I will also send emails to all my friends who ride and ask them to pass it on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts