Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read alot of post today and I cannot seem to find out about my problem.

I cannot get my clutch resovoir to bleed after getting them polished...Any help......I do not have a vac do I need one????

The brake side went easy and no problems bleeding them...Not the case for the clutch side.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The clutch is normally the easy one to bleed. But since you're having trouble here's a few things to check/try.

First, make sure you're not getting air at the banjo/reservior connection. Check the gaskets and torque the bolt to 25ft/lbs

Did you have to pull the plunger to get them polished? If so you may have a problem there but only way to know is disassemble it again.

Be sure you're using a hose on the bleeder and make sure you keep visible fluid in the hose, on top of the bleeder until it's tightened down (closed), only crack the bleeder about 1/4-1/2 a turn.

Pump the lever quickly about 5 times and hold on the last, then open the bleeder. Then use slow deliberate pumps (both on the pull and release of the lever). A couple of quick flicks on the lever will help to dislodge any air caught in the banjos. On your last pump, hold the lever in and tighten the bleeder screw, then release. Then LAST take the hose with the fluid in it off.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Also -

You might try putting some teflon tape on the threads of the bleader screw. I've never had to but you might be getting air in around the threads.

You don't HAVE to have a vacuum pump but they sure make it easier. :wink:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bleeder

I need to know if you then close the bleeder before you start pumping it again....

Do you open bleeder on the push stroke or the hold and release stoke.I get absolutley no pressure on either stoke

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
I had to edit this because I forgot I usually have vacuum on mine when I'm doing mine, even if doing the pump/bleed technique.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

What he said is correct

Once you tighten the bleeder off for the last time then you should have good pressure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Proper bleading for bike or car is to pump it slowly a few times until you feel resistance. Then hold it under pressure. While under pressure crack open the bleeder fitting. At that point you will feel the lever go down. When it hits bottom (or preferably just before bottom) close the bleeder screw. You can now let up on the lever and repeat the process. It yiu let up on the pressure while the fitting is open air could be reentering the system. If after repeating this process until the bled off fluid is free of bubbles the lever still seems spongy let it sit for several hours and bleed again.

hope this helps

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bleeding

There is no pressure what so ever.....

Is it possible that when it was polished something inside the resovoir was damaged....Like the seals or something???

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
We figured it out...

Just wanted to let you all know that I helped BigBoyBike out last night, and figured out what was wrong. First we tried a different mastercylinder (dealership said his was missing parts...riiiiiiiight) but that didn't work either. Then we tried my vacuum bleeder....thinking there was an air bubble some where that we could suck out. NOPE! Tried my stock clutch line next, thinking their might be a crack in his line...nope. Replaced all four banjo washers thinking one might be letting some air by....nope. As a last resort, we pulled the clutch cylinder assembly out, and "burped" it a few times. Sure enough, a bunch of air bubbles came out the master cylinder. Bolted the thing back on, and she bled out just fine. :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts