Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 02 1800 about 7 months ago. Bike looked/ran perfect. No issues at all. As far as I know all stock except Cobra exhaust. Well I got into a bind and borrowed some money and it was held for collateral for 2 months. My nightmare started when I picked the bike up. Fuel cap missing. Left in rain during hurricane. Got bike home and removed tank. Cleaned tank out, replaced fuel lines, changed filter, changed plugs, ran heet fuel additive for water. 3 tanks of fresh gas put through it. Bike sounds awful. Missing, backfiring, only has about half power. I jumped the fuel pump cutoff relay and only got 2.5 ounces of gas manual says 6.4. Would that be a bad fuel pump or the pressure regulator?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh, man, sorry to hear that. Sounds like you may have water elsewhere that doesn't like it...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I'm new to the VTX, don't even have mine running yet, so I'm learning too...

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
Fuel pressure Regulators have been failing since 2013.
Check the oil level, sometimes fuel winds up in the oil from the FPR.
If you have fuel in the FPR vacuum hose it is definitely FPR.
Any codes showing??
What do the spark plugs look like?
Ground Fix highly recommended. ECM requires a good ground.
Go to Step by Step board for the Ground Fix.

Reactions: Vtxcapsfan

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Service/replace the fuel filter. It's in the tank connected to pump. Carefully remove the access cover. It uses a thick 'rubber' gasket.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I’d go with Hans&Feet and start with the ground fix. It’s cheap and easy and if it doesn’t work your not out anything but a little time.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
A ground issue can be ruled out with a simple jumper wire. Service/replace the fuel filter. Filler cap off, in the rain, c'mon man.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If all else fails, take it to Honda service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts