Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 40,000 miles I'm replacing all of my plug wires. Going to try the Accel 7mm Blue suppressor wires. Will reuse the plug sock from the originals. The dealer wanted over $50 for the 4 plug wires, and I just wasn't in the mood for a raping.

Has anyone else tried aftermarket wires on their bike??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Don't know about the plug wires but do understand the dealer rape thing. They at least should be required to kiss you or employ some kind of foreplay prior to.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Phideaux said:
After 40,000 miles I'm replacing all of my plug wires. Going to try the Accel 7mm Blue suppressor wires. Will reuse the plug sock from the originals. The dealer wanted over $50 for the 4 plug wires, and I just wasn't in the mood for a raping.

Has anyone else tried aftermarket wires on their bike??
I've been keeping an eye out also and haven't heard of anyone using other than stock with good results. My left front wire had a defect and was replaced under warrenty, I saw the price sticker was near $20 (memory is foggy) for just the one wire. :shock: I know the stock wires have an inline resistor to protect the computer and some fancy curves..... curves are always pricey. Let us know how it works out ok? Cya, Lep

·
Registered
968 Posts
My plug wires started cracking about 30K, dealer told me top kiss off and pay $80 plus tax for new ones.
I bought a 7mm universal kit from from auto store ($7) and almost 50K miles later have had no problems. The stock plugs have resistors in them, I actually removed the resistors (made a solid bridge) and my plugs ran cleaner. My plugs ran even cleaner when wires were replaced so I say go for it.
Clif

S

·
0 Posts
I believe Wilbur uses Yellow aftermarkets on the X-Chopper also. Seems I recall seeing a closeup pic of his motor once and was surprised to see them.

A friend and I were discussing aftermarkets just today and I said I'd like to go with blue but wasnt sure if I had to mod anything or not. So from what Im reading here it seems easy enough ... stay with the stock plug. :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'd maybe PM Wilbur. Duc's idea sounds good. Anything is better than 20 bucks a wire for me lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
you can use any solid core spark plug wire with no problem, do not use the universal plug wire from the auto store with resistor or fiber cores.
just use any solid core wire, if you ask for it at the auto store they should have some, get them to cut off a few feet for you, should only be a couple bucks (this is what we use on dirt bikes, street bikes, even our custom vtx chopper) :D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Bareass172 said:
The reason I think more people don't make this swap is that the OEM boots are molded into the plug covers on the bike. When you swap wires the new ones won't have this boot and they might look a little silly with the big gaping hole.
They all slip right off and on to the new wires with a little effort and some verner slider! :wink:

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
LEE said:
Bareass172 said:
The reason I think more people don't make this swap is that the OEM boots are molded into the plug covers on the bike. When you swap wires the new ones won't have this boot and they might look a little silly with the big gaping hole.
They all slip right off and on to the new wires with a little effort and some verner slider! :wink:
Well now I feel like a newb Lee, thanks... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Bareass172 said:
LEE said:
Bareass172 said:
Well don't feel bad, I didn't know either until I got to pulling on them thinking I was going to have to cut the wires out some way or the other or split the molding. :p

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
LEE said:
Bareass172 said:
LEE said:
Bareass172 said:
Well don't feel bad, I didn't know either until I got to pulling on them thinking I was going to have to cut the wires out some way or the other or split the molding. :p
Glad to see your back Lee, I hope you're feeling better! :wink:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Thanks Lee, also good to Cya, I didn't think Wilburs chopper had big holes in it when we saw it in Denver last year. Now if I can only figure out what a verner slider is?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Leprechaun said:
what a verner slider is?
He he, well it used to be a term for Vasiline. :lol: You can use WD40, but I like LPS1 as it is synthetic and does not seep oil out later.

·
Registered
983 Posts
found the pic of the chopper

It doesn't look like too bad of a gaping hole. Hope that helps ya Phi.
Looks like it might be something I'll try when the time comes. Cya, Lep

1 - 15 of 15 Posts