Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, finally got my bags mounted using the Ghost Brackets and love it. Unfortunately, both a mixture of the original mounts and the fact that I can't line up worth a darn, I have multiple holes in the plastic on the back of my bags. In an attempt not to do what I would usually do, Ductape the F#%k out of the holes, I thought you guys might have better, weatherproof ideas.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing. I am planning to get some Easy Brackets for my stock bags, which are currently attached to OEM Honda brackets.
I was planning to use some rubber bumpers from an auto parts store, that you'd use for something like a glove box door. They would seal the holes pretty well, but to be sure, I'm going to put a dab of silicone on them.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
here is what I did. I put tape on the outer part of the holes. I then filled them with silicone from the inside. When it dried i took the tape off. I can now wash the bike and i get no water inside the bags. I alos put silicone over the bolts on the inside to keep them fron tearing a hole in my leather jacket or chaps. It also keeps your helpmet from getting scratches on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a multiple holes in the back wall as well after multiple attempts to substitute for Ghost Brackets (not very successful).After rolling over my X and busting out the old useless Cobra brackets I finally purchased Ghost brackets. I resulted to making polycarbonate backing which I placed on the bag - outside wall -to which I attached Ghost Brackets. I sealed the edges with black sealer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It also keeps your helpmet from getting scratches on it.
I thought about which direction to put the bolts but because of the lip on the bike side of the bag, I figured that the threads weren't anywhere near anything to scratch. Is there any other reason that most seem to mount with the threads going into the bike?

Great tips guys, i really appriciate it

·
Registered
464 Posts
Go to a truevalue,home depot or even tractor supply. in there hardware dept they sell plastic plugs in multiple sizes that will do the trick.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If the bag is hard plastic or fiberglass and you want a nearly invisable repair... get a fiberglass repair kit or even bondo if it doesn't get much rain on it. Tape a bondo spreader over the hole (resin will not stick to it) on the outside and fill it with bondo or fiberglass resin from the inside using a putty knife to press it in. After it's set pull the outside cover off and you should have a smooth plug, you may have to sand lightly and then paint it to match the bags.

On the other hand, duct tape and a magic marker will make it look more like a Harley.:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts