Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped out the local YMCA with their first poker run today and the turn out was fair but on the low side IMHO. They have asked for ways to improve participation next year. This years cost was $35.00 for the rider and $15.00 for a passenger. That only got you one poker hand, but it did get ya a tshirt and a luch afterwards. I think that it was a little on the exensive side and that $25.00 with out a tshirt might have been a better way to go about it. I really want everybodies ideas on this so I can help them make it a better run next year so dont be shy. As if anybody her is. And offer up those ideas. (sorry guys but the [email protected]#D lady thing aint gonna cut it with the YMCA either so gotta stop that one right away.) This one is for a good cause to send kids to camp so help me out would ya.

S

·
0 Posts
Might hit the local businesses and bike dealers. Most will donate (tax write off) something to raffle.

T-shirts should be optional not mandantory. Trick is to lower the entry fee to lure a bigger crowd. Once they are there have additional items to make money on. Instead of a free lunch you might have lunch for an additional small fee.

If that doesnt work.. Set fire to something. People love to see destruction. Even if you have to burn your own car.

If that still doesnt work then opt for Plan C ... sell beer, get the stripper, charge for lap dances and offer taxi rides home in your burnt car 8)

JMHO

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Most poker runs here are 5$ or $10 per hand with 50/50 drawings and a raffle for prizes (6 tickets for $5 or $1 eac). Just went on a poker run last weekend, they had a chili cook off, entry fee $5..afterwards they let us riders eat the chili for a $5 donation. Lot of poker runs are done with couples on the bike and once you get over $10 a hand it gets expensive for just two riders! You gotta remember these people are also donating their gas they use and usually the stops sell something to the riders too. Only been on one poker run that had t shirts, not many sold though.

The food tends to keep the riders hanging around afterwards and after everyone is served and during eating is a good time to do the 50/50 and raffle prizes that are usually donated and announced who gave em.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Most poker runs in west Ne. are $10, and get 150 or so bikes in my lil town regardless of if it's for a person with medical issues or a general fundraiser for a charity. Often the chili and hot dogs at the end of the run is from donations and no t-shirts. I grew up in manhattan and cheney and burlingame kansas, if you would like to do a fun ride come to Colorado in July www.coloradovtxrider.org cya Lep

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I agree - I wouldn't even consider going to a poker run at those prices. $10.00 for the rider and $5.00 for the passenger would draw a much bigger crowd. You want QUANTITY, not QUALITY. Once you get them there, as already mentioned many times above, offer them T-Shrits, food, beer, etc. Your total cash intake will be much better overall. Not everyone wants a T-Shirt or food, but what you're doing requires them to buy both. By making the food and shirt optional, you draw in both the crowd who was willing to pay for both, and more importantly, the crowd who is not willing to buy both. Once they're there, some of that much larger "cheap" crowd will probably buy at least one or the other, and some will buy both, especially if beer is available after the ride.

Eddie

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Stumpy said:
Might hit the local businesses and bike dealers. Most will donate (tax write off) something to raffle.

T-shirts should be optional not mandantory. Trick is to lower the entry fee to lure a bigger crowd. Once they are there have additional items to make money on. Instead of a free lunch you might have lunch for an additional small fee.

If that doesnt work.. Set fire to something. People love to see destruction. Even if you have to burn your own car.

If that still doesnt work then opt for Plan C ... sell beer, get the stripper, charge for lap dances and offer taxi rides home in your burnt car

JMHO
Stumpy thats good LOL

But the burnt car thing dont work all that well. But Plan C is a money maker. A person just has to convince the YMCA of that.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I agree that was over twice the price of any run I've been in
most are 10 to 15 dollars. $5 per extra card, raffles and doors prizes really help also. I love them. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts