Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a bit of polarizing film online to make my 03 1800s odometer readable again. I bought the smallest sheet I could find, but still have plenty left for a spare and some to share.

I've got enough film here to give away 3 or 4 pieces big enough for you to fix yours. If you want a piece, send me a SASE and I'll send you a piece of the stuff. It's not all that expensive to buy, but free is better.

Michael Stevens
PO Box #502
Pierce, CO 80650

·
Registered
10,746 Posts
I recently purchased a bit of polarizing film online to make my 03 1800s odometer readable again. I bought the smallest sheet I could find, but still have plenty left for a spare and some to share.

I've got enough film here to give away 3 or 4 pieces big enough for you to fix yours. If you want a piece, send me a SASE and I'll send you a piece of the stuff. It's not all that expensive to buy, but free is better.

Michael Stevens
PO Box #502
Pierce, CO 80650
Paying it forward is a rare thing, you're to be commended.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
If making the odometer readable again only required polarization I'm surprised you didn't just opt for polarized sun glasses.

Nice of you to pay it forward. (y)

Reactions: Maechyll

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been using a piece of 3M UV proof clear heavy duty shipping tape for years with success but the polarized film should be even better. (y)
Where did you find the film and how hard was the job. Wanting to do mine but haven't found the film.
Just did a search on Amazon for polarizing film. Lots to choose from.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Jumped the gun so no "before photo(s)":

Before removing the film:

At the correct angle you can see angles lines in the LED:

There was no bubbling or curling of the o.g. film. A little Goo-Gone & a short wait and it came off in 2 stiff pieces:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Powered up [without film] Powered up [with film properly oriented] With film cut to size [no lens]

With film but no power [see the lines] Finished result*; much improved with slight sight of lines

Pending test ride due to rain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The LCD sits in a slight rectangular recess. I cut the film to fit inside the recess--when the clear plastic cover is put back on, the film is sandwiched between the LCD and the cover. No adhesive required.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The LCD sits in a slight rectangular recess. I cut the film to fit inside the recess--when the clear plastic cover is put back on, the film is sandwiched between the LCD and the cover. No adhesive required.
Ditto. Just remember to take the film off of both sides as mentioned.

Reactions: Maechyll

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
If making the odometer readable again only required polarization I'm surprised you didn't just opt for polarized sun glasses. Nice of you to pay it forward. (y)
The film on the LCD has been baked/burned/fried which prevents seeing anything.
The old film has to be removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Michael Stevens
PO Box #502
Pierce, CO 80650

Michael Stevens
PO Box #502
Pierce, CO 80650
my name is john a smith i live in lake arrowhead ca. i have a 2006 vtx 1300. the lcd odo has become unreadable. so while doing research on how to fix it i came across your blog. if you still have a big enough piece for me to replace the film on my bike i would love to have it. i'm sending a sase today and would like to thank you in advance. thank you very much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
my name is john a smith i live in lake arrowhead ca. i have a 2006 vtx 1300. the lcd odo has become unreadable. so while doing research on how to fix it i came across your blog. if you still have a big enough piece for me to replace the film on my bike i would love to have it. i'm sending a sase today and would like to thank you in advance. thank you very much.
Got your envelope in the mail today, I'll get it heading back your way in the morning. : )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought you guys might like to see this. This is the film I (and some of you guys) put on this Spring. Just replaced it today.

And finally broke down and bought a cover ... 🙄

1 - 20 of 27 Posts