Honda VTX Forum banner

Police type body cam?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  seankk 
#1 ·
Anyone ever tried to use a police type body cam during their rides? (See attached pic for example) I’m trying to find something with longer battery power (4-6 hours) and decent image quality. These cams seem to meet my needs, but just curious if anyone has had any experience with these type cams. Thanks! @;

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The POV for a body cam is intended to capture what is occurring within a relatively short range. You will get great coverage of your gas tank, handlebars, and anything else within a few feet in front of you. I personally think a GoPro or any similar action camera would provide a much better recording if you are wanting to video while you ride. The department I work for has not deployed body worn cameras, but I have several friends at another agency that have been using them for about 2 years. It truly depends on what your goal is and what you want to spend money on.

#3 ·
Yep, as said above, it doesn't do much outside of 20 feet straight ahead. My brother has shown me his body cam stuff from time to time and besides the short focal length, the views are very dependent on your movement. Arms moving just a tiny bit blasts the view to the side. If the garment it's attached to folds over now you have a great view of the cloth or one shoulder or the other. You want to capture the ride, you'll need a sports type cam like Go Pro of the new Garmin.

#4 ·
I installed a front and rear camera that I got on eBay. Came from China. Works! It has harness for direct hook-up to battery. Easy to install, good 130 degree field of view. It has a recorder/hard drive that loops. I put in the suggested 4gb sd card and it stores a lot of video. It starts recording when I start the bike and shuts off when I turn the key off. It has a button that you can use to turn on/off, as well. I'm satisfied.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DV188-1080...610102&hash=item3624188492:g:2CkAAOSwyGZZ7WLW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.