Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you readers would agree with me that you don't like someone's political views being forced upon you. I'd like to share an experience I had in the workplace where a person in management did exactly this on a grand scale at my work site. This resulted in a 'battle' of sorts between this manager and myself and I will relate the details next.

In our workplace cafeteria we have a large, wall mounted, flat screen TV that was locked onto one station (NASA) because that station closely relates to what we do at my worksite. Nobody was forced to even view that station, as the TV could be turned off. Our Facilities manager was what I would label a political fanatic, and this judgement was based on my working directly under him (he was my boss) and him basically holding me hostage in his office as he would rant to me politically slanted views.

Zoom ahead a few years and this Facilities manager is no longer my boss so I felt free of his political rants. Then I walked into our cafeteria to discover the TV displaying all day news from a station I will not name, but that was/is considered a politically slanted news organization with daily guests who have their own daily political talk shows, that also lean heavily to one political party.

Because I despised this particular news station I picked up the remote control to turn the TV back to the NASA channel, only to discover the station is LOCKED where it was. I then tried turn off the TV and discovered the remote control was basically disconnected so no functions worked. The lunch room was effectively turned into a broadcasting room for all that stations politically slanted 'propaganda'.

I asked one of the Facilities workers about the TV and he told me the Facilities manager had locked the station and disabled the remote control. Basically, the only person who could turn off the TV or change the station was the Facilities manager. After a few days I spoke with a few other co-workers who had varying opinions about the news station, but all agreed with me that we shouldn't be forced to watch anything and a few others agreed with me that they hated that particular news station.

I then confronted the Facilities manager myself and he outright told me he had locked the TV where it was because he felt he had a right to do so as the manager. I basically told him "we'll see about that". I contacted our corporate Human Resources person to ask her if it was acceptable for a manager to force others to watch his choice in programming, and I only needed to name the news channel for her to understand he was forcing his politics on the entire workforce.

After a week I noticed the cafeteria TV was shut off and the remote control still didn't work. Next there was a company memo telling us that the TV will again display the NASA channel and that nobody was to change the channel to anything else. Since the NASA channel is often boring some employees grumbled that some politically 'neutral' news station would be preferred viewing, (as if such a thing exists).

To it's credit, my workplace did the right thing and stepped in to discipline the (now former) Facilities manager so we all were not forced to view his politically slanted news outlet and the workplace cafeteria is a place where everyone can relax on a break, even if sometimes we have to listen to what is basically workplace propaganda (pro-industry).

My point in relating this story is that in my experience at least, standing up for our rights not to be forced to be exposed to someone else's political views is well worth the effort. I'll also note that it doesn't matter if the political view is one we agree with, on principal alone if we allow wrongdoing some day it could turn around such that the wrongdoer you ignored is now doing you wrong.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is it a whine? I had an issue and resolved it. Not asking for any sympathy, empathy or advise.

If you're OK someone forcing their ideas onto you I'd suggest a little backbone with your torso.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Deleted

Reactions: TennX

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
As a senior level director I have a fairly large office, and on the wall across the room opposite from my desk I have a 55 inch 4k Roku TV mounted. I can extend or duplicate my desktop monitor to the TV, or stream anything I want over the WiFi, news, weather, youtube, hell I don't tune them in but I have netflix and hulu both available if I wanted and had time. The TV is typically turned off unless I have a need for it. I use it to review contracts and proposals and other documents with my staff, or with other departments it may involve where everyone has a clear view w/o people gathering around my desk or having to use handouts. I also use it frequently for video conferencing, Zoom meetings and I can invite several people to attend in my office where we can have our own private discussion of the meeting subject filtered out from the main discussion, you just have to be able to listen to two conversations at once. Then there are usually summertime forest fires in the area so somtimes it gets left on for information about that, or in the winter for school closings or roads closing due to icy conditions, it gets left on the Weather channel for that. During those times, my door is left open all the time so anyone can come in and get an update on conditions anytime they want.
The one and only time I used it for something personal was back in 2017, I set a full-screen hi-res background image on the screen of the newly sworn in President Trump and VP Pence and left it there for two weeks, making sure the TV got Turned on at 8am every morning. Everybody saw it, including my snowflake tech, and including my boss who is THE top dog, and I got a thumbs up for it. My boss probably thought I was just being patriotic, but the only reason I did that was in response to one of the techs that had been very vocal on a daily basis about how much he despised Trump and was continuously demonstrating how big of a whining snowflake he was, griping almost continuously about political things he didn't like, outwardly demonstrating by his words and attitued just how much disregard he had for my opinion, and everybody elses opinion in the department, that didn't agree with him and that was really everyone. Eventually I had to tell him to change his attitude or I would no longer need him. He got the message loud and clear.

As far as what your former boss was doing with the TV, that seems wrong to me, or it's definitely not something that I would do but we all know there are those out there, if they ever got the chance and THEY were the ones in control, that's EXACTLY what they would do wouldn't they ?

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The 1st (and worst) mistake was bringing a Television into the workplace. The 2nd was tuning it to a "news" station. There is no such thing. Not anymore, and maybe never was. Don't matter if it was FOX or CNN, it's all horsehole drama/emotional political posturing. Has NO place in the work enviroment. Would be like having Joel Olstein on compared to a rabbi or iman. Ridiculous for the workplace. TV sucks! TV "news" is the lowest of the low.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Opposing viewpoint: I had a job in the 80's working for an industrial supply warehouse. I basically pushed around a little cart and took items off shelves to fill customers' orders and get ready for shipping. I liked listening to Rush. Not the musical one. On a pocket radio. There were a few of us deplorables who agreed with his views, but there were more who didn't. Those were the ones who got their way, and instituted a company policy banning my right to listen to what I wanted. I was never in one place for very long in the course of doing my job, but some couldn't handle that. Much like the current BLM, Antifa, and Biden 2020 crowds. Nedless to say, I began to see the handwriting on the wall, and made preparations to leave that company and at age 44 return to a Tech School to get a degree in HVAC.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
I would be, as the biggidy boss, thoroughly disappointed that a manager could not work that out with an employee without getting me involved. Like I don't have important stuff to worry about. It's unfortunate that the insistence for two people to exercise their rights without finding a middle ground could lead to such discourse. I, personally find the whole thing a bit juvenile.

As an employer, it would reveal two things to me.
1) I have the wrong person in as manager.
2) We have an employee that had to be "that guy".

Whatever happened to acting like adults?

I want to be clear here so as not to start some stupid argument. HOP was well within his rights, and the manager was not to refuse finding, at least, some, compromise, or letting it go altogether. My feeling is that just because one is well within their rights, must they make a point of it? As the guy who would have to rule on such a conflict, I most certainly would find the whole experience more than distasteful, leading me to believe any team environment I've tried to build is breaking down, necessitating my looking at how to either salvage it, or cut out the infection to stop further infection and promote healing. In this case the infection includes two people from what I know about it. Likely I don't know everything about it, but that's how I see it from here.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 1st (and worst) mistake was bringing a Television into the workplace. The 2nd was tuning it to a "news" station. There is no such thing. Not anymore, and maybe never was. Don't matter if it was FOX or CNN, it's all horsehole drama/emotional political posturing. Has NO place in the work enviroment. Would be like having Joel Olstein on compared to a rabbi or iman. Ridiculous for the workplace. TV sucks! TV "news" is the lowest of the low.

I totally agree and said so to the HR director. Even beyond the controversial content is the fact that putting a TV in the break room encourages coworker resentment when one wishes quite during a break while another, or others want TV noise.

When I discussed the issue of the TV with the HR person I was asked if the TV should be set so employees could choose whatever channel the wished. My take was that this never works as long as there is even one person in the break room that dislikes what the majority chooses as entertainment. The break room is supposed to be place anyone can enjoy and if you must have constant entertainment to enjoy a break, even at the expense of someone else's desire for quiet, you have a problem.

On that note, some people now in the workplace are entertaining themselves with phones played so loudly in the break room that anyone that say wanted to quietly read can't do so, and yes I'd like some cheese with this particular whine. :p

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Opposing viewpoint: I had a job in the 80's working for an industrial supply warehouse. I basically pushed around a little cart and took items off shelves to fill customers' orders and get ready for shipping. I liked listening to Rush. Not the musical one. On a pocket radio. There were a few of us deplorables who agreed with his views, but there were more who didn't.
If we can agree it's never OK to force others to listen or view media they choose not to be exposed to, you could have simply worn headphones or ear buds to listen to your choice of broadcast without offending anyone, causing resentments and the need for management intervention.

It's easy to slap a derogatory label (snowflake) on someone who chooses not to be subjected to other's inconsiderate behavior, but much harder when the shoe is on the other foot to defend our hypocracy when we demand the same considerations we might deny others.

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
It is equally inconsiderate to subject those in your intersecting space to your personal definition of inconsiderate. The label of "snowflake" comes about when that definition is viewed as overly overly intolerant.

Considerate behavior involves a level of tolerance as well, otherwise one's intolerance will always interfere with another's enjoyment ... equally unfair IMO.

I had a Philipino kid doing shipping and receiving who loved to listen to his gospel music. He would put his little messages around his workspace. He was a good worker and a solid person. He had gotten to the point where his music had become annoying to others in the office. So he turned the music down, and anyone in ear shot could suck it up and ignore it .... it wasn't to the volume level of annoying IMO. The kid before him loved his heavy metal ... same rules. It increased productivity in shipping/receiving, and no one got pissy about it ... no need. Why .... because we are a team ... working toward the same goal. A big ... fat .... bonus at the end of the year. Remaining productive benefits everyone on the payroll, and whoever forgets that ... well isn't a team player. Team players stay and become family, the others never last.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is equally inconsiderate to subject those in your intersecting space to your personal definition of inconsiderate. The label of "snowflake" comes about when that definition is viewed as overly overly intolerant.

Considerate behavior involves a level of tolerance as well, otherwise one's intolerance will always interfere with another's enjoyment ... equally unfair IMO.
There is the 'rub' that is, what and who determines what is being overly intolerant? So effectively in your scenario the workplace in your view is where everyone 'sucks up' their complaints to please the team or majority.

You presented a fine example with the workplace music because the place I used work at had the opposite experience. Our department for 10 years had no issues with music because None was allowed. A new manager was hired who allowed music and then one person in the department played his choice, which caused conflicts with others about music choice and finally a religious woman said all the 'worldly music' was offensive to her. The manger told the crew to 'work it out among themselves'. The result was effectively a 'battle of the bands with various people trying to drown each other out with their choice of music and you could barely hear yourself think in that workspace. Finally management had to take away everyone's option to hear any music and the place again focused on work, not music.

All my career I've been praised by managers for my exceptional work. I took a job at a place once and within only two months my new manager was praising me for improvements I had made to the department. No joke, I quit working there after 4 months because of the intolerable music I was forced to listen too. I didn't raise a fuss, I simply quit and the manager who hired me told me he was sorry I was leaving. If you create a workplace environment that requires 'sucking up' you may lose an exceptional worker who isn't willing to do so.

Where I work now there has been conflicts regarding music. The solution is earphones. I had an experience where a co-worker actually argued with me that he didn't want to wear earphones because it ruined 'the party atmosphere' of listening for him. His work required no concentration, mine required great concentration. I had to argue with him that I had a right to work in silence, whereas he didn't have a right to disturb me. Who in that case was supposed to 'suck it up'? Me of course.

The above question was rhetorical because society has proven the minority has to suck it up. If you're an oddball (like me) who dislikes piped in music where I'm shopping, too bad. If most of your co-workers like wearing a uniform and you like your street clothes guess what you'll be wearing at work?

Should there come a day when most of your co-workers enjoy watching propaganda in the break room, guess what you'll soon be watching? If you don't like it, suck it up or you're a snowflake.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
If we can agree it's never OK to force others to listen or view media they choose not to be exposed to, you could have simply worn headphones or ear buds to listen to your choice of broadcast without offending anyone, causing resentments and the need for management intervention.

It's easy to slap a derogatory label (snowflake) on someone who chooses not to be subjected to other's inconsiderate behavior, but much harder when the shoe is on the other foot to defend our hypocracy when we demand the same considerations we might deny others.
For safety reasons (OSHA), headphones were verboten! And the volume was only audible to me as I was pushing my cart around. The boss who owned the company made the remark to my face that over the 17 years I worked there, there wasn't any job there I couldn't do and do at least satisfactorily. I agreed. Then he hired a guy from another company, basically "off the street", for more $$$ than I was making at that point. I saw the handwriting on the wall and got the F out. And never happier when I left. So much for valuable loyal employees and keeping them happy.

Reactions: Harkon

·
Super Moderator
6,471 Posts
If only we could resolve all noise complaints like this! Worth watching to the end

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
There is the 'rub' that is, what and who determines what is being overly intolerant? So effectively in your scenario the workplace in your view is where everyone 'sucks up' their complaints to please the team or majority.

You presented a fine example with the workplace music because the place I used work at had the opposite experience. Our department for 10 years had no issues with music because None was allowed. A new manager was hired who allowed music and then one person in the department played his choice, which caused conflicts with others about music choice and finally a religious woman said all the 'worldly music' was offensive to her. The manger told the crew to 'work it out among themselves'. The result was effectively a 'battle of the bands with various people trying to drown each other out with their choice of music and you could barely hear yourself think in that workspace. Finally management had to take away everyone's option to hear any music and the place again focused on work, not music.

All my career I've been praised by managers for my exceptional work. I took a job at a place once and within only two months my new manager was praising me for improvements I had made to the department. No joke, I quit working there after 4 months because of the intolerable music I was forced to listen too. I didn't raise a fuss, I simply quit and the manager who hired me told me he was sorry I was leaving. If you create a workplace environment that requires 'sucking up' you may lose an exceptional worker who isn't willing to do so.

Where I work now there has been conflicts regarding music. The solution is earphones. I had an experience where a co-worker actually argued with me that he didn't want to wear earphones because it ruined 'the party atmosphere' of listening for him. His work required no concentration, mine required great concentration. I had to argue with him that I had a right to work in silence, whereas he didn't have a right to disturb me. Who in that case was supposed to 'suck it up'? Me of course.

The above question was rhetorical because society has proven the minority has to suck it up. If you're an oddball (like me) who dislikes piped in music where I'm shopping, too bad. If most of your co-workers like wearing a uniform and you like your street clothes guess what you'll be wearing at work?

Should there come a day when most of your co-workers enjoy watching propaganda in the break room, guess what you'll soon be watching? If you don't like it, suck it up or you're a snowflake.
Indeed, you make a great point. In all of this you take the position that your rights outweigh everyone else's. Have I ever lost good even great employees because they didn't "fit in"? I have, and truly those events result in management that cares to consider the costs, benefits and risks. Running a successful business isn't as easy as most people think it is. I'm generally the first guy at work, the last one home, rarely get vacation, and when I do it's never more than a week at a time. Why? Because my team comes first. Without them, we'd all be looking for work. Most times being the boss sucks. Every payroll run you're reminded of why you do it. Not for my paycheck, but for every member of the team. Being able to offer bonuses every year is a privilege few ever get to enjoy, because our team earned it. I get to say thank you.

So why am I telling you this? Because, I'm not the team. That one exceptional employee that must have their way doesn't make the team. It is never about how much more profit can we make through increasing productivity, it's about every member of the team coming to work with a common goal and a common mind. By extension, every member becomes a member of my family, and I theirs. It's not just about the money, or one person's "rights". It's always about the family, and it must remain healthy, or in the end, I couldn't care less if we succeed or not. Yes, I work for my paycheck first, but wholly understand that without the team, there's no paycheck for me or them. It's the bigger picture, not just keeping one member happy. If you need to know why problems are so very rare within our team, it's because those that cannot become a team member and play (work) only for themselves never last, because there is no keeping them happy without risking what we already have. I won't put that on the line for anyone ... they are my family. Becoming a member of my family means only to act like a family member. No more, no less. If you ever had brothers and sisters, a wife and children, you must understand that compromise is the stuff of co-existence. It is the stuff of harmony, and a happy family, whether personally or professional, is the secret to success.

If you'd rather be that oddball, and be totally independent and entirely self reliant at work, I wholly respect your right to be that way, and has it's own road to success, but not at my office, sorry. The culture we've built there has it's road to success, and ultimately it precludes your road to success if you are that person that cannot be a member of a family. It sucks, but that, in fact, is life. You can't fit into every social structure, you'll have to be happy elsewhere, because it's never, ever about the individual .... EVER ... not even me.

I forgot to mention, and not everyone gets this. In a family, members are happiest when other members are happiest, because other's happiness is important to you. I am happiest when my wife and son are happiest, and it makes me happy to make them happy. Conversely they like to make me happy. Like every family we also fall short of that, and that's where compromise comes in. My extended by work family is the same ... they really are.

·
Registered
88 Posts
it's ironic that you say you don't like people forcing their political views on you state your opinion and say anyone with an opposing opinion is ignorant and stupid unless they agree with you. i don't mind someone debating politics with me but that's because i have well reasoned arguments with a solid foundation. you have a flippant understanding of the issues and simply parrot what you've been told to say, and rather poorly might i add.

·
Registered
784 Posts
it's ironic that you say you don't like people forcing their political views on you state your opinion and say anyone with an opposing opinion is ignorant and stupid unless they agree with you. i don't mind someone debating politics with me but that's because i have well reasoned arguments with a solid foundation. you have a flippant understanding of the issues and simply parrot what you've been told to say, and rather poorly might i add.
I find leftists to be very self centered and childish. Inflated self worth .Equating violence with difference of opinion . always whining about rights but desiring communism which takes away all rights. Liberalism is a mental illness.

·
Registered
29,291 Posts
I find leftists to be very self centered and childish. Inflated self worth .Equating violence with difference of opinion . always whining about rights but desiring communism which takes away all rights. Liberalism is a mental illness.
You guys are just ''ignorant''. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts