Honda VTX Forum banner

Do you think it is safer to ride with a helmet or without?

• Safer with a helmet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safer without a helmet

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the 13+ pages of the thread about ditching their helmet, I thought I would get some stats from riders about whether they feel safer with or without a helmet.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Venjurak said:
After reading the 13+ pages of the thread about ditching a helmet, I thought I would get some stats from riders about whether they feel safer with or without a helmet.
safer with ...

"feelings" don't count until your skull hits the pavement ...

but ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
black hills said:
Now we'll have two helmet argument threads going... :?
Not wanting any arguments here, just wanting some solid stats of what the majority of people feel is safer, with or without. Cast your votes people.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is a no brainer...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Safer with a helmet, just like you would be safer wearing one while driving your car.

Isnt head trauma the #1 cause of death in auto related injuries?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Depends on traffic condition, climate, and the anticipated duration of the ride. However, I typically do not wear one and I feel perfectly safe. When I wear one I do not feel anymore safe, and actually feel encumbered by the helmet.

As an aside, I think some people are not answering the question. the question is about how a helmet makes you FEEL.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Its safer with one but I choose not to wear mine all the time.

·
Registered
249 Posts
CrunkedItUp said:
the question is about how a helmet makes you FEEL.
Who cares about how you FEEL...

I FEEEEL great after 10 beers but I'm not going to f-ing ride after them. You're not going to feel shit after your skull feels the treads of an 18-wheeler.

This is idiotic. I dislike wearing a helmet but I do because it is the law here. However, I do realize that a good lid will save my brain from becoming oatmeal. I accept the fact that I dislike it and own it; please don't try to make a weak arguement about helmets being unsafe.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Safer with but I still want the option!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ricstir nailed it.....around town and high traffic areas, absolutely! Out on the hwy, you're pretty much history if anything happens at speed or you're your dead from the neck down. Don't want that. Helmet in town, not on the open road.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
PhillyAnt said:
Its safer with one but I choose not to wear mine all the time.
I would think this is the view held by the majority of riders. We all take risks everyday, it's our choice.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Just to put something with my vote.....I think we should have the right to decide......even before they repealed the law in La.....I chose to wear a helmet. But I think it should be your right to ride with or without a helmet.

Side note....I know guys think that helmets cause more damage....then how come those guys who race F1 and Super bikes fall at speeds of excess of a hundred miles an hour and walk off. I don't think the theory holds up that a helmet cause more injuries. AMA and every sanctioning body requires helmets for safety....because it works.

................twin

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
twin1300 said:
Just to put something with my vote.....I think we should have the right to decide......even before they repealed the law in La.....I chose to wear a helmet. But I think it should be your right to ride with or without a helmet.

Side note....I know guys think that helmets cause more damage....then how come those guys who race F1 and Super bikes fall at speeds of excess of a hundred miles an hour and walk off. I don't think the theory holds up that a helmet cause more injuries. AMA and every sanctioning body requires helmets for safety....because it works.

................twin

Yea!!! That's what I'm talking about!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Why do people start threads like this? The intentions for stat gathering were pure, but you will get nothing but opinions and not stats unfortunately.

As for the opinions about helmets not making a difference on the "open road", I'd love to see some stats to support this! Death from trauma is all about energy transfer and absorption. Granted the helmet wont help from the neck down, but it will help absorb the energy transfer to your head. Plenty of stats to support that.

As for whether or not you should wear it, up to the individual.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't think riding with out a helmet is a good idea, even If I had a choice I would not ride with out a helmet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Paul Weser said:
Out on the hwy, you're pretty much history if anything happens at speed or you're your dead from the neck down. Don't want that. Helmet in town, not on the open road.
If you go down at highway speeds, and are not involved in a direct collision with an obstacle, your head is most likely to take a 'glancing' blow of of the road surface or ground. This is a VERY survivable situation in most cases, and not just to end up a vegetable either....IF you're wearing any half-way decent helmet.

Motorcycle road racers don't crash putting around the pits a whole lot, and are dressed for survivability in the (almost inevitable, sooner or later) case of a VERY high speed crash.

Dont just literally cast your fate to the GD wind so flippantly with this stuff, I'll agree that the higher likelyhood of a crash or collision is among the relatively congested urban traffic and intersections, but I think that a highway crash, without an actual collision with another vehicle (going off a rural curve for instance) is every bit as survivable, or even moreso, than a town crash is, regardless of the inherently lower speeds involved.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts