Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, not another thread on popping and backfireing. I appologize, but I've done all the things I found on this site and still a problem. I have an '03 1800-C with V&H, full desmog with GP block off plates and no A/F manager. I've replaced the gaskets and went with standard hex nuts vs. the acorn nuts and re-torqued to 17 ft-lbs several times after running. Checked the seal with cigar smoke and no noticeable leak but still a lot of popping and the occaisional backfire. I'm at a loss on what to do next besides the A/F manager. I thought I read that a manager will not help the popping....is that true?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The crush gaskets are similair to spark plug gaskets as in the tork value comes into play after the gaskets have flattened or crushed. Usually when tightening you can feel when the gaskets give way. As they crush is the time when they form to mateing sufaces, then is the time to apply tork value to the nuts.
A fuel mamagement system can help with the popping and back fireing as it will allow some adjustment to the fuel intake. The extent of adjustment depends on which system you select.
Also make sure you have all vacuum lines accounted for and no open leaks. If memory seves there are three vacuum nipples on the right side of the throttle body. Two were probably capped off and one may have had a T in the line, Sometimes the T is left open after PAR removal and causes problems.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
sho-me vtx said:
The crush gaskets are similair to spark plug gaskets as in the tork value comes into play after the gaskets have flattened or crushed. Usually when tightening you can feel when the gaskets give way. As they crush is the time when they form to mateing sufaces, then is the time to apply tork value to the nuts.
A fuel mamagement system can help with the popping and back fireing as it will allow some adjustment to the fuel intake. The extent of adjustment depends on which system you select.
Also make sure you have all vacuum lines accounted for and no open leaks. If memory seves there are three vacuum nipples on the right side of the throttle body. Two were probably capped off and one may have had a T in the line, Sometimes the T is left open after PAR removal and causes problems.
Sounds like a good place to check to me. I'm planning on a full desmog this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts