Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I brought my 03 VTX1800S home today and noticed that decel popping. After searching here I found out that its normal, and expected (especially with aftermarket pipes like my cobra's). Anyway, my question is this, I heard I'm supposed to use the lowest octane fuel, would switching to a higher octane change the bike's tendency to pop?

Also, is there a way of driving the big V-twin cruiser (my last bike was an SV1000S, a sport bike with a vtwin engine) that would minimize the pop? I.E. aviod hard deceleration, or keep the engine revved higher (keep in lower gear when possible) or lower (keep in higher gear?)

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
No, the octane rating will not affect it. You can stay on the throttle a little to not have it happen so much, but you're wasting fuel and fouled plugs can't be far behind. Remove your pair system would be the way to go. Keep fresh air from the remaining gasses and no detonation/pop. 8)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pair system? whats that?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Go this link http://www.bareasschoppers.com/ Thanks to Bare this has all been written out for you. The Pair valve injects air into the exhaust port to keep emmisions down.

Read through Bare's page. Lots of good information

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So his site says "Disconnecting the pair valve wiring and plugging the intake hose will cause condensation to build up in the hose plumbing. Eventually it will fill with water and may cause white smoke out the tailpipe when decelerating (this happened on my bike). The deceleration caused the water to leak past the reed valves and into the exhaust stream. No damage was done to the engine it was just annoying. So if you want to disable the pair valve system remove it completely - otherwise, leave it intact and functioning"

If I just plug the inlet behind the air filter, and then unplug it every once and a while, will that get rid of the condensation inside the pair system?

That would be a lot easier than doing the whole process...

·
Super Moderator
63,763 Posts
And it will not get rid of the water because of the way the hoses are run and there is a solenoid valve in-line that the water won't get past. 8)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yea I removed my pair and did the aribox mod. When I later removed the airbox to install the hypercharger the vent line was full of condensation.

I saw a bike at Daytona last week that had a little K&N type filter on the end of the vent hose mounted externally, not connected to the hypercharger. I'm thinking about adding one to mine just to keep the mess out of the hypercharger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts